Is more than 16gb required?

Associate
Hi all.

I have 16gb of corsair vengeance 3600 and looking at the 32gb dominator 3600 kits but not sure if it's overkill.

Pc just used for gaming and nothing else really.

Thanks
Steveo

Soldato
I'm content with 16gb ram and have never ran into issues with this currently using an 5800X with a 3080 @1440p although when I upgrade to next time to a DDR5 based platform then I will be going with 32gb.

Soldato
If you are using around 14GB of RAM a lot of the time, more physical memory would be beneficial. I think there may also be a perception that while 16GB of RAM isn't always quite enough, 32GB is just too much. For instance, when I am playing games, I can use anywhere up to 15GB and therefore more RAM would be beneficial to me. However, I certainly wouldn't need 32GB. Going to 24GB of RAM would be a more sensible idea and I think a lot more people would be on board with that.

Soldato
^ Use isn't the same as needing. Games will often load commands into memory and just leave it there without returning the space back over to the system when it's not needed. This only gets corrected when you exit the game.

I would rather have 16gb of fast ram with tight timings then 32Gb of slower ram if all i'm doing is gaming and light productivity work. When you starting running into ram bottleneck you will notice minimum frame rates in games will tank into single numbers. If you keep your system as it is other components in your system will need replacing long before 16gb's of system ram is a issue.

Soldato
I’ve upgraded from 16 to 32 for my new build. it was mainly for flight sim 2020 and other sims.

Any real world meaningful measurable benefits? **** all to be honest.

But, but, my new ram has lights. Lights on it I tell you! So it’s clearly miles betteeeeer

Associate
I’ve upgraded from 16 to 32 for my new build. it was mainly for flight sim 2020 and other sims.

Any real world meaningful measurable benefits? **** all to be honest.

But, but, my new ram has lights. Lights on it I tell you! So it’s clearly miles betteeeeer

Even though I'm not a yank, I have to agree. It's a nautical mile or more better.

Associate
I’ve got 32GB in mine as I noticed a lot of the time I was using around 12-15GB when gaming. I was building a new PC so took the opportunity to upgrade to the team group dark pro 32GB 3600mhz CL16 kit

Soldato
This is a false positive as often most of that is just cached data.

It depends entirely on the data you are looking at. In Windows 10, Task Manager will provide you with a basic picture of how the system is using physical memory. Clicking on the Performance tab and the number on the far left hand side under Memory is the amount of physical memory that is currently in use. That number represents the sum of the In use plus the Modified sections of the Memory composition graph. When you are running your normal workload, if that number is within roughly 2GB of the amount of RAM you have, you would benefit from more because it will mean you will have more physical memory available for the standby page list, which represents cached data.

Looks like its topping out around 10gb give or take. I'll leave it for now in that case. Thanks bud.

If that number is an accurate representation of the amount of physical memory your workload requires, I don't believe the extra RAM would be of much benefit to you.

Process Explorer is an excellent replacement for Task Manager, and will provide you with a better picture of the physical memory usage of the system. If you have a real interest in this sort of thing, RAMMap is an awesome application and will provide a complete and accurate overview of how the system is using physical memory.

Edit:

^ Use isn't the same as needing. Games will often load commands into memory and just leave it there without returning the space back over to the system when it's not needed. This only gets corrected when you exit the game.

I don't think my initial post was particularly helpful. I didn't explain the metrics I was referring to. If someone is interested in finding out if they have enough physical memory for the workload they are running, I believe what I have explained above is the most accurate way of doing so. This will correlate with the performance of the system.

I would rather have 16gb of fast ram with tight timings then 32Gb of slower ram if all i'm doing is gaming and light productivity work.

I think we have to be careful with statements like if all i'm doing is gaming and light productivity work or It's a Gaming machine so therefore it needs 'insert a random number here' because they don't define the actual physical memory usage of a system, which is what is needed in this discussion. :)

Permabanned
I didn’t say it did. And I also said it’s recommended for best experience.

Use your noggin, as you can see I’ve said some games use 15-20gb ram, does any retro games use that much? :eyesroll

You said "gaming machine". As an example I don't play games that install 150GB of data. Do you still think I need 32GB of ram or as some other threads 128GB ram?

Soldato
You said "gaming machine". As an example I don't play games that install 150GB of data. Do you still think I need 32GB of ram or as some other threads 128GB ram?
Depends on the games you play. If you play mine craft then no, but if you play bf5 or war zone then yes. I had micro stuttering when bf5 came out as I was topping out my ram usage, another 16gb fixed that.

Too many variables, res, what games etc, that’s why I said “gaming machine”.

Back
Top Bottom