• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE PSU Experiences

Associate
OP
Annoyingly and stupidly, the site doesn't list any part numbers :(

In an around about way, from their business site, I can confirm it is the 2021 model :)

I noticed the specs says it has 6+2 pin connectors. Does that matter as the msi one linked previously has 8 pin connectors. I believe the 3080 fe has 2x 8 pin

Associate
I noticed the specs says it has 6+2 pin connectors. Does that matter as the msi one linked previously has 8 pin connectors. I believe the 3080 fe has 2x 8 pin
No, it so it can used as a 6 pin or combined into an 8 pin.
Confirmation of the
Manufacturer No:CP-9020180-UK

I'd recommend the Corsair over the MSI purely because there are more reviews.

Associate
I am one of the 700w brigade.
I did originally plan to get a 3060ti or 3070, so I bought a psu accordingly, this one

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £84.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Then when I got a 3080fe, I was unsure if it would be safe so i asked on here before installing it.
The answer was maybe.
So I went ahead, but with caution and will probably upgrade earlier rather than later, to head off any potential issues as it ages.

It has been fine *so far*, no crashes or shutdowns.

Last edited:
Associate
650w is definately pushing it. I have a 3080fe on a 650W Seasonic SFXL PSU and the PSU was on the verge of failing if I didnt undervolt the GPU. The GPU was trying to pull 300W-ish at stock and was making my PSU squeal and the RDR2 benchmark stutter, I undervolted the 3080fe and all is well. The rest of my system is pretty low power draw though, CPU is a 5600x only pulling around 65W.

Associate
Just noticed this one as well, thoughts?
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Seasonic power supplies are excellent in my experience. They get consistently good reviews. I've had several. The Focus range comes with a 10 year warranty I believe. If you really want to splash out, get the Prime GX (I did) but to be honest I doubt it's worth the extra cash over the Focus. I wouldn't get anything more than a Gold either, makes very little difference in terms of efficiency.

Associate
OP
No, it so it can used as a 6 pin or combined into an 8 pin.
Confirmation of the
Manufacturer No:CP-9020180-UK

I'd recommend the Corsair over the MSI purely because there are more reviews.

When i googled that code another retailer came up and it had (2018) in brackets. Where did you get it ?

Associate
650w is definately pushing it. I have a 3080fe on a 650W Seasonic SFXL PSU and the PSU was on the verge of failing if I didnt undervolt the GPU. The GPU was trying to pull 300W-ish at stock and was making my PSU squeal and the RDR2 benchmark stutter, I undervolted the 3080fe and all is well. The rest of my system is pretty low power draw though, CPU is a 5600x only pulling around 65W.
Unfortunately this makes no sense.

Power is drawn. The GPU will pull the amount of power it wants to draw. Either the PSU can supply that power.... or it cant. And if it cant, OCP trips and the PSU shutsdown.
It cant communicate back to the GPU "hold up there, I can only give you 290W"

So if you where not having shutdowns stock, the PSU was technically able to satisfy the GPUs power draw requirements.

I have never heard a PSU squeal due to load. However coil-whine and coil-squeal are extremely common from FE cards. And funny enough one of the best 'fixes' to help with that is to undervolt the GPU.

So in a round about way, from what you have described it sounds like your PSU was perfectly fine to supply the power the 3080fe needs at stock. Undervolting got rid or improved your coil-whine.

Associate
I'm in the same boat. I ended up being able to pick up a 3080 FE for MSRP and have this PSU so was wondering without overclocking and I'm also air cooled could it work for a while

BE QUIET! STRAIGHT POWER 11 650W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

Associate
When i googled that code another retailer came up and it had (2018) in brackets. Where did you get it ?
As I said previously the Business site of the one that you mentioned and cross referenced with Corsair and it's their current model for sale, or so I thought.

2021 product number is CP-9020200-UK

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-atx-power-supply-ca-267-cs.html?template=amp

You can spot the differences easily between the two. The decals and modular cable socket layout are different.

Soldato

He he 6+2= ???

3080FE actually has a 12 pin connector but luckily comes with a 12 pin to 2x8 pin (or rather 2x 6+2 pin) connector lead

Of course do not confuse '8 pin' as there are 8 pin CPU connectors (which obviously dont connect to a GPU as they dont fit)

The GPU power lead is commonly labelled as 6+2 Pin PCIE connector.

Associate
Unfortunately this makes no sense.

Power is drawn. The GPU will pull the amount of power it wants to draw. Either the PSU can supply that power.... or it cant. And if it cant, OCP trips and the PSU shutsdown.
It cant communicate back to the GPU "hold up there, I can only give you 290W"

So if you where not having shutdowns stock, the PSU was technically able to satisfy the GPUs power draw requirements.

I have never heard a PSU squeal due to load. However coil-whine and coil-squeal are extremely common from FE cards. And funny enough one of the best 'fixes' to help with that is to undervolt the GPU.

So in a round about way, from what you have described it sounds like your PSU was perfectly fine to supply the power the 3080fe needs at stock. Undervolting got rid or improved your coil-whine.

I can only describe what I saw and heard. All stock - the PSU was squealing under load - it has always squealed a bit but with the 3080fe at stock it wasnt having a great time. I undervolted the GPU and the squeeling went away and the stutters I got when running the RDR2 graphics benchmark disapeared. When under volting it went from 300W power draw to 200W power draw.

edit - so i suppose the conclusion is a 650w PSU is fine for just the graphics card but if you add all the other system components together 650w is getting close to the limit of what it can handle. I think if I shoved anything which draws more power than a 5600x the machine will crash when under load.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP, I have an AIB standard overclocked RTX 3080 and I used a 750w PSU and it runs perfect, never ever power spiked. I even paired it with an i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz .

Soldato
I have a 3080FE arriving tomorrow and have a Corsair TX650M 650W which I've been advised will be okay but will share my findings tomorrow. CPU is a 3700x.

Back
Top Bottom