• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chances of getting a 3080 vs 6800 XT?

Associate
OP
Well I just got a 3090 FE for £1399...

It beats a 6800XT for £1299 I suppose.

Wasn't expecting that though, now I'm in a difficult position. Do I return and keep waiting for 3080 or do I keep? Hmmm.

Associate
The question is can your system handle a 3090 they are demanding power wise

If it can it's the more powerful card but is it the right card

Associate
OP
The question is can your system handle a 3090 they are demanding power wise

If it can it's the more powerful card but is it the right card

Well I'm building a whole new PC, the GPU was the only thing I was missing.

Planned specs:
- Ryzen 5900X
- MSI Tomahawk X570
- 16GB DDR4 RAM (was 64GB orignially but downgraded those plans as RAM prices have doubled in past 6 months).
- Fractal Meshify S2
- BeQuiet Platinum Straight Power 11 850W

etc

Associate
in that case the world is your oyster

but its a bloody big wedge either way

dont you get an extra 10-15 % peformance with amd 5+6 series combined now as well

Associate
OP
in that case the world is your oyster

but its a bloody big wedge either way

dont you get an extra 10-15 % peformance with amd 5+6 series combined now as well

Yes and no, while I don't lack funds to proceed with a 3090 build. I do have common sense and that GPU seems silly considering, a 2080 Ti cost £1200 and a £529 3070 Ti can beat it in a year. In terms of value for money vs performance longivity, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I do like a good deal lol.

But ye given the GPU situation, I may just ignore common sense this time....

A lot of thinking to do.

Associate
^ My friend place an order for 3080, here, in December, he got few days ago :D. Price was great, around 750-800£, but the waiting time is the same as waiting for his wedding =)
Awesome planning! Get all the luxury boys toys bought before the restrictions start happening :) I have to go through major negotiations before I can spend big.

Associate
Yes and no, while I don't lack funds to proceed with a 3090 build. I do have common sense and that GPU seems silly considering, a 2080 Ti cost £1200 and a £529 3070 Ti can beat it in a year. In terms of value for money vs performance longivity, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I do like a good deal lol.

But ye given the GPU situation, I may just ignore common sense this time....

A lot of thinking to do.

I did phone around localy on friday and managed to find a rx6800xt for £999 on the shelf but then iam in norfolk

so there is stock out and about now and prices do seem to be dropping

Associate
Reviews seem to suggest there is a very slightly better performance with the 3080 but I got fed up waiting to find one at a reasonable price.
(I was also F5'ing along with everyone else on the 3d of June. No success.)

I've been wanting a 3080 for too long now. So very difficult to get unless you are willing to pay scalpers or inflated retail prices.
I finally pulled the trigger yesterday on an Rx 6800 XT yesterday. It was readily available, in stock and took me a very short time to locate at another etailer. (Sorry Ocuk, but you'd none in stock at the time) It cost me £1000.

A few hundred pounds cheaper than a scalped 3080 for what I am led to believe is just a slight difference in performance.
Note though, some reviews on certain games suggest the 6800XT beats the 3080.

At present, I'm awaiting delivery of the 6800XT. It should arrive Tuesday. My search is over I'm glad to say.

I jumped 3080 MSI queue few months back when I managed to grab a 6800xt at msrp from competitor and I'm very happy with it. It's stronger than 3080 in 1080p and 1440p and only falls behind at 4k in most titles. Raytracing is the only problem as it really tanks frame rates vs 3080, but with AMD launching FSR, that might be getting better too.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

AMD is cheaper at the moment I think in general but I'd wait and hopefully prices may drop. But I think the scalping is going to last a long time.

6800 XT is probably the rarest card atm though - it's what I'm holding out for - I can only find one in stock at that's at 1599 :eek:

I'm >< this close to pulling the trigger on a pre build for 1600 that puts the card at around 950 when subtracting all the other parts (not wasted, I'll upgrade the kids PC and they can have my 1080ti).

Associate
Got the 3080 today for £649 Founders Edition. It's possible and it seems like more place are getting more units on a weekly basis.

Soldato
6800 XT is probably the rarest card atm though - it's what I'm holding out for - I can only find one in stock at that's at 1599 :eek:

I'm >< this close to pulling the trigger on a pre build for 1600 that puts the card at around 950 when subtracting all the other parts (not wasted, I'll upgrade the kids PC and they can have my 1080ti).
theres a few 6900xt around for that, jeez

Associate
UOTE="DNfk, post: 34885892, member: 247941"]Got the 3080 today for £649 Founders Edition. It's possible and it seems like more place are getting more units on a weekly basis.[/QUOTE]

Got a promo email about GPU drops tomorrow but will assume the prices are extreme

Associate
i just see a 3070ti from fairly well known etailer, 1300 for the suprim:eek: scalping at its worse:mad:

i had a alert for that earlier im after a 3070 so i got excited and quickly clicked the link but when i see the price!! there's no way im paying that. I think that etailer is the only place with stock with the 3070ti so they gona take advantage but then again if they sold it at a reasonable price then the scalpers would get them so you cant win really

Back
Top Bottom