Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters

And

And

Associate
I just picked up an M1 MBP 16Gb 256Gb to replace my 2011 MBP. For image editing when I'm on the road. Photoshop performance is night and day in comparison.

Soldato
Just ordered a refurbished 8Gb/256Gb MBP from Apple. Should be here tomorrow. For what I’ll use it for, the spec will be fine and it’ll let me see what limitations there currently are with software before I upgrade to bigger-than-24” iMac when it appears.

Associate
Just about to start a new job and will be ordering a MBP 13in, I’m happy about getting to test out the new chip.

Currently have a 2019 15in and late 2013 15in in the house.

The sad part is if it was me personally buying it I’d wait for the next release to get the 16in model, however with the job starting late July I’ll have to get a ‘work’ laptop well before September :(

Associate
should have added, my father in law just got his first MBP.
It was nice been able to suggest that he just gets the base model because for once I believe he doesn’t need more ram or disk, plus the price seems much better than earlier versions.

Associate
I've got a base model Refurbished M1 MBP arriving this weekend to see if I can switch from a large PC to small and mobile machine and still work effectively.
Can't wait to see if and how much faster it may be.

Associate
I've got a base model Refurbished M1 MBP arriving this weekend to see if I can switch from a large PC to small and mobile machine and still work effectively.
Can't wait to see if and how much faster it may be.

I think you’ll find it a welcome change. The lack of noise, heat, portability and battery make it a great bit of kit.

Soldato
Okay.. I have a small issue since I set up an M1 MBA directly from my MBP using Migration Assistant. OneDrive for my Uni work doesn't work. I've uninstalled all Office software, reinstalled, signed in completely fresh, reauthenticated. Some files work straight away, whilst others are greeted with:

Screenshot-2021-06-16-at-19-13-25.png

Does anyone have any idea of what to do? The entire folder has the same read/write permission and its all now stored local and backed up to my O365 OneDrive.

Soldato
Yep! It gives me a message before that containing the URL of the sharepoint file location saying that can't be found.

I can open my OneDrive folder online and access everything through that no problem though, so all of the files are there.

Soldato
I've ordered a 16Gb/1Tb Macbook Air last night. I should have ordered earlier in the week as my local Apple Store had them in stock. As it is I have to wait until the middle of next week for delivery.

A few quid saved using the employee discount scheme too.

Man of Honour
Yep! It gives me a message before that containing the URL of the sharepoint file location saying that can't be found.

I can open my OneDrive folder online and access everything through that no problem though, so all of the files are there.
OneDrive on macOS is trash, well, the Windows version isn't much better. I've had to do multiple uninstalls, sign out, sign in, reinstall etc al in different orders to get it working properly. This is on both x86 and M1 MacBooks.

Soldato
OneDrive on macOS is trash, well, the Windows version isn't much better. I've had to do multiple uninstalls, sign out, sign in, reinstall etc al in different orders to get it working properly. This is on both x86 and M1 MacBooks.

Completely agree. Unfortunately it's the best way for me to go between my own computer and uni computers. I can drag the files out and work from my desktop, then drop it back when I'm done. That'll do for now I guess.

Man of Honour
Completely agree. Unfortunately it's the best way for me to go between my own computer and uni computers. I can drag the files out and work from my desktop, then drop it back when I'm done. That'll do for now I guess.
Thankfully once you have it set up and it's working it seems to stay that way. I'd happily use another service but I have 5TB and ever expanding storage through my work account so it makes little sense to use anything else.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Finally ordered myself a 512GB Air.

In the end I used some ‘reward points’ I got through work to pay for it, so it’s not really cost me anything :)

Soldato
Thankfully once you have it set up and it's working it seems to stay that way. I'd happily use another service but I have 5TB and ever expanding storage through my work account so it makes little sense to use anything else.

Yeah, it worked perfectly on my old MBP, but seems to be hit or miss on this. New files that I upload (not the old ones that I drop back after editing) work perfectly so I guess I just go from here. I get 1TB to use, so I'm gonna use it. :p

Soldato
I saw Rosetta installed for use with Stripe, my email app. Are you notified every time an app requires Rosetta or is all dealt with in the background?

Back
Top Bottom