• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
That just like and alert system?

For those who don't know how it works (and this was me yesterday).

Download the app Telegram to your mobile phone and set it up to send notifications (it will ask you so just say yes)
then search for FE PartAlert telegram online and click on the link on the page this will set it up.

Finally as was mentioned in an earlier post it's definitely worth setting up an account at Scan beforehand (and saving the login details on your phone). I didn't save my credit card details to the site and had no problems clearing checkout this morning but your mileage my vary.

Soldato
So a bunch of 3070's just dropped on the OC website but they're all priced over £900 is this also part of the OC discount code plan?

I guess one or two possibly will but I think this is the new "normalised" price as I had noticed another etailer had the full suite of RTX and RX cards and they were well above MSRP, all in stock but the price is UP. I think this will be the way it's approached for now to be honest.

Associate
I guess one or two possibly will but I think this is the new "normalised" price as I had noticed another etailer had the full suite of RTX and RX cards and they were well above MSRP, all in stock but the price is UP. I think this will be the way it's approached for now to be honest.
That's tough cause I really don't want to be spending that type of money. I guess i'll just have to wait for an FE or until prices come back down.

Soldato
That's tough cause I really don't want to be spending that type of money. I guess i'll just have to wait for an FE or until prices come back down.

Probably wise, by keeping the prices higher and allow stock to last while it builds back up in the background I think we'll eventually see them settle again.

It does appear to be the only way to tackle the scalpers at present as essentially most of these are what you'd see as a scalped price.

Associate
Probably wise, by keeping the prices higher and allow stock to last while it builds back up in the background I think we'll eventually see them settle again.

It does appear to be the only way to tackle the scalpers at present as essentially most of these are what you'd see as a scalped price.
Yeah, completely agree. I was just wondering if they were part of the discount concept. But thanks for the help!

Associate
Some 3070Ti FEs have appeared on a famous auction site this morning after the drop. Only asking double what they paid, prices are falling ;)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm still quite a few posts away from being able to see the deals anyway. So i'm probably going to have to wait for the next drop :cry:.

The "deals" aren't that great though. The last 3070 "deal" was £680, which is over £200 more than an 3070 FE, and even more than 3080 FE for an inferior card.

The prices for AIB models are a joke, the cards aren't worth more than a maximum of £50-£75 more than what the FE's are for the performance they offer.

If you can, get yourself the telegram app and join the FE Part Alert group. Just stick at it, I've held out since release for an FE, as they are the only cards at a price point that just about reflects the performance they offer. It's how I managed to get a 3080FE yesterday for cheaper than the 3070 "deals" are going on here.

Associate
The "deals" aren't that great though. The last 3070 "deal" was £680, which is over £200 more than an 3070 FE, and even more than 3080 FE for an inferior card.

The prices for AIB models are a joke, the cards aren't worth more than a maximum of £50-£75 more than what the FE's are for the performance they offer.

If you can, get yourself the telegram app and join the FE Part Alert group. Just stick at it, I've held out since release for an FE, as they are the only cards at a price point that just about reflects the performance they offer. It's how I managed to get a 3080FE yesterday for cheaper than the 3070 "deals" are going on here.
yeah i joined a telegram alert a couple of days ago but i keep missing them because i wake up too late. so i guess its time to fix that sleep schedule :cry:

Associate
Some 3070Ti FEs have appeared on a famous auction site this morning after the drop. Only asking double what they paid, prices are falling

Anyone looking for a GPU will know that drops are getting more regular now - amount of people willing to pay double must be next to zero surely. Excluding all the people who live in Stupid Street.

Associate
For those who don't know how it works (and this was me yesterday).

Download the app Telegram to your mobile phone and set it up to send notifications (it will ask you so just say yes)
then search for FE PartAlert telegram online and click on the link on the page this will set it up.

Just to add one thing I experienced as I was using my mobile phone:

Searching for "FE PartAlert" within the Telegram app on my phone gave varying results and none of them were the group I was searching for.

However, when I googled "FE PartAlert Telegram" and clicked on the first result, it opened the Telegram app automatically on my phone and I was able to join the group then.

Not sure if that was obvious for others, but I had thought searching within the Telegram app would've given me the correct result.

Associate
Scalpers, just had an interesting debate with my mate. I just got lucky and managed to get a 3080 FE and he was saying i was daft to not immediately sell it and make £800 easy. We then talked about whether there was ever a scenario where scalping was ok.

My point was i dont NEED the £800, luckily for me im in a situation where i dont need to do that to support myself my family and my wants and needs. So scalpers in the same situation are rats granted doing nothing illegal, but care little for others. The kind of people that have no empathy

But what if id lost my job since covid, as a result i was having marital issues due to streses associated with money, mortgage falling behind, anxiety building. Who is anyone to call me a scum bag in that situation. Literally doing it to hold my life together thoughts?

Associate
Scalpers, just had an interesting debate with my mate. I just got lucky and managed to get a 3080 FE and he was saying i was daft to not immediately sell it and make £800 easy. We then talked about whether there was ever a scenario where scalping was ok.

My point was i dont NEED the £800, luckily for me im in a situation where i dont need to do that to support myself my family and my wants and needs. So scalpers in the same situation are rats granted doing nothing illegal, but care little for others. The kind of people that have no empathy

But what if id lost my job since covid, as a result i was having marital issues due to streses associated with money, mortgage falling behind, anxiety building. Who is anyone to call me a scum bag in that situation. Literally doing it to hold my life together thoughts?

I mean... people are in that situation every day. Is scalping better than mugging little old ladies or kidnapping children for ransom? Sure. Does that make it a good and positive socially acceptable act? No, not really. On the scale of "******* ways to make money" it's on the lower end of the ******* scale.

But this doesn't really matter, as there's no way to tell the difference between "scalper scalping because they have no choice or they'll be homeless" and "scalper scalping because they had enough money to buy bots and dozens of cards and then flip them because they're an opportunist". Most scalpers are in column B, and so everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Permabanned

Well go and buy and see if you don't get mucked around for the sale. Scalpers are getting messed on these sites. There are like 20 pages of unsold cards listed on there.

Associate

I am not convinced by this argument. It literally just take money from someone else rather than "produce and earn".
They are messing with the market, just like most speculators in the real estate markets.
At the end, those who need the GPUs/Houses cannot get them, but those who do not need take profit from them.

Literally scalpers make their money on other's losses!

Associate
I mean... people are in that situation every day. Is scalping better than mugging little old ladies or kidnapping children for ransom? Sure. Does that make it a good and positive socially acceptable act? No, not really. On the scale of "******* ways to make money" it's on the lower end of the ******* scale.

But this doesn't really matter, as there's no way to tell the difference between "scalper scalping because they have no choice or they'll be homeless" and "scalper scalping because they had enough money to buy bots and dozens of cards and then flip them because they're an opportunist". Most scalpers are in column B, and so everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Ye i know what you mean, **** housery is **** housery whatever the circumstance

Permabanned
I am not convinced by this argument. It literally just take money from someone else rather than "produce and earn".
They are messing with the market, just like most speculators in the real estate markets.
At the end, those who need the GPUs/Houses cannot get them, but those who do not need take profit from them.

The screwe

The are responsible for manufacturers and retailers chancing it with stupid prices. They have no sympathy from me.

Associate

Well you have to understand in some sense the problem with this scenario is that Nvidia has price fixed the FE cards which otherwise in a free market would be priced higher. The problem with scalping is that there isn't really such a thing. There are markets where trade happens, there are goods and services for sale and there are buyers. And the value of any specific good or service is merely where the supply and demand curves meet, if you happen to have low supply for some reason and high demand then the value is going to be very high. That's completely normal and how normal healthy markets work.

To say something is scalping is to say that it's priced above, or even significantly above what is ought to be priced at, and the problem is there's simply no objective way to say what something ought to be priced at, other than letting people compete for it in a voluntary market where participation in the exchange is voluntary and see what prices people settle on. This is why people need to stop projecting what they "feel" is the right price, you're projecting a subjective feeling for which there is basically no justification.

No one is forced into trade in a free market, it's completely voluntary and so empathy just doesn't really apply. Besides empathy typically scales with how close you are emotionally to other people. You have a lot of empathy for family and partners, a bit less so for friends and colleagues, a bit less for members of your local community, then less for people in your county and even less for someone 500 miles away, and by the time you get to people in India or China where tens of thousands of people die every day you basically could not care less. And so trade on more or less a national or global scale has got noting to do with empathy. If I pass on hardware to close friends I'll often do it either for free or massively reduced cost, I just gave one of my 1080's to a friend for nothing despite them going for ~350-400 on ebay. But if I sold one on ebay i'd get as much for it as possible.

The problem isn't scalping, it's a mistaken belief that there's a price at which something ought to be sold at, which you arrive at because of how you feel. The price fixing that Nvidia do has ulterior motives behind it, it's not out of their pure generosity they do that, it's because there's ancillary benefits for things like marketing, it's already known that the FEs struggle to even break a profit. It's why the supply of them is always very low.

Back
Top Bottom