Road Cycling

Soldato
God I bloody hope not!
Blink and you miss it! The 'Great' British summer! :D

I think the longest day is in this month (checked - its Monday) so yes after the turn day its downhill, weeeeee
Yeah 21st is solstice, 9 days before my Birthday.

Anyone feeling flush/wins the lottery I want/require/need an 'aero-light-not too uncomfortable-everything integrated-flat mount road disk' frame. Without selling a kidney/my child to afford one. Thx! :cool:

Edit - yeah it's a prize draw so I could cycle 1 mile this whole both and still have the same chance to win that bike :p.
Of course there's no additional reward for people actually taking time and effort to complete and compete the 'challenge', what a silly concept! That's not 'fair'! Remember keeping the ********** happy is more important. ;)

Know a few on here have the Gore Shakedry jacket, after losing my Rapha Core Packable I could do with a replacement. I have an old Castelli one, but it's pretty hopeless now and I've always hated the zip. Any other recommendatons? They all look ridiculously expensive for something I'll use relatively sparingly!
Castelli Idro is very similar but equally crazy price.

Sure I did see a review which compared all the jackets using shakedry but can't spot it now. It had several other jackets from lesser known brands with better pricing.

I still love my Castelli Tempesta but they where similar money. I'm constantly scouring the 'bay for more!

Think the current Castelli 'Emergency Rain jacket' is similar to it, but can't confirm...

Second OxAZ on Tuesday hit me for six for ~24 hours, but relieved to feel up to 90mins on the turbo before dinner last night, rather than having to wait 1.5 weeks back in April. But just like in April, z2 pace felt more like z4, at least I managed to tick off the easiest Zwift route I had left to complete (Lutscher).

Now just need the weather to improve, I'm on annual leave until 28th, it's been tipping down since Wednesday evening and there doesn't look to be many dry spells forecast at mo in Southampton or South Downs. Doesn't sound like the rules are going to relax in Wales enough for me to go and stay with mum and sister in Prestatyn next week and have a go at the ~7 mile Road To Hell climb out of Denbigh on the B4501 to Llyn Brenig, not that prep has gone well, having upset my left knee a bit after swapping saddles and not taking account of extra padding stack ~2 weeks ago.
Rubbish! Got my AZ booked in 20th July... First was ok so kinda dreading the second! My other half just had hers, she was bad for a week from the first, second barely anything other than extra tired for a day.

Good to hear you're recovering, spin it out and don't go too deep/hard/long, slow and steady! At least with the weather turning a little that is a little easier to do - less opportunity! So keep the rides short and between the showers!

My Gore Shakedry continues to impress me. Yes, it is expensive, even when I got mine at around £150 after extra Black Friday discount from Blacks in 2018.
I so should've got one as around that time everyone seemed to be getting them I did find them for £130 - just didn't really want to spend that money on a black jacket - as I hate dark colours on gear I'd want to use year round. Even now their 'viz' versions are not exactly fantastic in low light/darkness. Did see something the shakedry fabric tech they'd got into more visible colours now so maybe next season...

Caporegime
Of course there's no additional reward for people actually taking time and effort to complete and compete the 'challenge', what a silly concept! That's not 'fair'! Remember keeping the ********** happy is more important. ;)
Just found out my main competition is doing 600km across 3 days next week (today is her last day so technically she wouldn't be part of the organisation going forward ;):p) so no way I can win on mileage alone any more. Come on the prize draw!!!!!!

Soldato
I so should've got one as around that time everyone seemed to be getting them I did find them for £130 - just didn't really want to spend that money on a black jacket - as I hate dark colours on gear I'd want to use year round. Even now their 'viz' versions are not exactly fantastic in low light/darkness. Did see something the shakedry fabric tech they'd got into more visible colours now so maybe next season...

I've got the Viz version with the yellow cuffs / drop tail as I'm not a fan of all-black on the road either. I only realised the other day the "Gore Text" logos on each arm are reflective. I've seen one Shakedry jacket in a slightly bonkers blue finish IIRC but not much else, so I wonder if it's still a challenge to produce (or even just too expensive).

Soldato
Just found out my main competition is doing 600km across 3 days next week (today is her last day so technically she wouldn't be part of the organisation going forward ;):p) so no way I can win on mileage alone any more. Come on the prize draw!!!!!!
Haha, well that's set the bar to be beaten surely?! Then again if she can knock out that mileage in 3 days then technically she's quite a 'good' cyclist.

Good luck in the draw! And just to confirm that Cannondale do good Gravel bikes. They're an american brand after all and that's where the gravel scene is!

I've got the Viz version with the yellow cuffs / drop tail as I'm not a fan of all-black on the road either. I only realised the other day the "Gore Text" logos on each arm are reflective. I've seen one Shakedry jacket in a slightly bonkers blue finish IIRC but not much else, so I wonder if it's still a challenge to produce (or even just too expensive).
Was this the Blue one?

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/2...edry-jackets-are-coming-soon-and-we-cant-wait

Not really anything more about it online other than that article, which kinda states winter 20/21 and we didn't see them... Guessing it's cost, or was a pure marketing exercise to judge things against. I'd never heard of 'Romance' before.

Caporegime
Haha, well that's set the bar to be beaten surely?! Then again if she can knock out that mileage in 3 days then technically she's quite a 'good' cyclist.

Good luck in the draw! And just to confirm that Cannondale do good Gravel bikes. They're an american brand after all and that's where the gravel scene is!
Oh she's way more than a 'good cyclist' - her constant chatting about cycling and encouraging others was part of the reason I took it up a year ago :D. Pretty sure she has at least 4 bikes and has done >1,000km competitions and races. I like competition but I ain't got a chance :o, I am currently 160km ahead of her but simply can't match her upcoming 600km. Pretty sure once she does that, she will get more than I am projected to have completed by the end of the month. Has been fun though :).

Soldato
Soldato
After a couple of easier weeks due to covid jab and taking it easy with some illness this week I need to build a bit more again. Can't do the club ride this weekend, so will be a solo jolly if the weather gods agree with me. No idea what and where yet, but feel I need to get some longer rides in when these solo opportunities present themselves.

So Zwift WTRL TTT last night was a brute. It was warm, but was also at my absolute limit hanging on chasing wheels the whole time around after only doing 1 turn. Ow. Power numbers on the low side but legs where like bambi this morning...

Also, be careful out there everyone. Zwift teammate/buddy got hit by a van turning across a junction straight into a group of them earlier this week. Ran his rear wheel and his foot over. Smashed face and broken hand, somehow his carbon shoe stopped his foot getting crushed! Written off his Limited Edition Red Hook Crit Allez frame! :mad::eek::(

That's the one - not a colour scheme for me!

Looks like Rapha doing them for EF Education Nippo will be the catalyst we need for more colour options in them! :D

https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/09/ex...kets-game-changing-shakedry-color-visibility/

Plus their existing 'Pro Team' one is towards the cheaper end of the scale at £220 when looking at RRP (as Gore Shakedry 1985 Viz was £250)... Who'd have thought we'd see a Rapha option as one of the cheaper ones!

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-lightweight-gore-tex-jacket/product/PPG01XXBLK

Last edited:
Soldato
Be careful out there everyone, dangers can come out of anywhere. What was going to be my first ride out after completing a 200 miler last Thursday ended half a mile in when a cat bolted across the street. I now have 6 fractured vertebrae in my spine. :(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Be careful out there everyone, dangers can come out of anywhere. What was going to be my first ride out after completing a 200 miler last Thursday ended half a mile in when a cat bolted across the street. I now have 6 fractured vertebrae in my spine. :(

OMG that's terrible mate -GWS.

In 2018 I had a great pre season, race ready and completed my first race with the bunch. Week after, race got cancelled so mix of club people got together for a ride near the circuit. On the loop home started to think about getting back to the car, clubmate lost control of his bike and sideswiped me at speed into a barrier. Ambulance ride later, fractured vertebrae transferred to main hospital ready to operate the next morning.

A PM away if you need any support mate!

Soldato

Jesus Christ! Really sorry to hear that
Rest up and hope everything is ok.

Soldato
Ambulance ride later, fractured vertebrae transferred to main hospital ready to operate the next morning.

How was your road to recovery? Hopefully all well now?

I've got quite a story for my initial medical care and a counting my blessings not more damage was done at the point of impact or in the several following hours. The mental side of it hit really hard when I stepped back home, seeing my poorly bike, cracked helmet and broken sunglasses left where they were placed. I fared off much better when on the hospital ward as I had a much closer goal of getting 'home'...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Pretty fast recovery as I was in good health. A few doctors and staff at the time mentioned they like cyclists as they recover quickly. I think it was eight weeks till I got on the bike again, I used the turbo first, not a mad man.

In honesty I wont be the same again, it gets sore even though the physio guy I seen sometime later said its was fully healed. Headwinds bring out that soreness, I think its some nerve damage and the brain knowing it was a delicate area it turns hypersensitive. I could just drop a couple of paracetamol and forget but Im not one for shortcuts and maybe that's bad for you in the long term.

The good news is the fitter you get the less trouble the back gives. If I trained more and done proper resistance exercises too it would be manageable to be almost unnoticeable. I am riding part health/training and part for fun during the pandemic. Its a good excuse not to be roped into the club rides yet as I know I will get a beating first few group rides back. Im in no hurry but hope to be racing again some day. I have a young family so they take up much time, when I broke the back initially my wife found out we were pregnant with our youngest! When they get a bit older I will be able to put in some long miles again. To race A3/4 you should be able to batter 50 miles at pace so I know where I need to be, its some reality check you get though when your lying in a brace worrying about being able to walk again.. :)

Soldato
**** me this thread took a turn.

Stay safe guys.

A local lad who got ran over and abandoned was in the shop yesterday and is back out on the bike after 8 weeks so not a bad recovery. He was in a bad state . Baby steps and you'll get there.

I did do a u turn when a few guys went up the outside of queued traffic rather than take position in it like the rest of us. So many ride like dicks around cars. Wasn't in the mood for it at all.

Also feeling pretty tired so chilling out to try find legs for a crit on Sunday. Did **** at the last one managing 17th without a sprint as I had lost track of laps.

Soldato

Oh jeez! Sorry to hear that! Hoping for a fast recovery for you...

Not that it matters, but was it avoiding or hitting the cat that caused the accident? I'm always worried when I see a dog nearby, but you've got little chance when a sneaky cat springs from the shadows! :(

Associate
Last October i took on a car down a steep hill (lost on points) and broke my hip spent a few nights in hospital and had to spend three months essentially bed ridden with no weight on my leg in case the ball joint went through the socket.
Significant muscle wastage but as soon as i got the go ahead to weight bear 12 weeks later i was able to quickly get back on the turbo and now can ride pain free for hours, power not totally back nor endurance but im not too far off.

all id say is dont try to rush it, listen to the docs keep mentally strong and you’ll be back before you know it.

physically ive no problems, mentally im still a bit hesitant descending but getting better.

all the best for your recovery!

Soldato

I've got quite a story for my initial medical care and a counting my blessings not more damage was done at the point of impact or in the several following hours. The mental side of it hit really hard when I stepped back home, seeing my poorly bike, cracked helmet and broken sunglasses left where they were placed. I fared off much better when on the hospital ward as I had a much closer goal of getting 'home'...

Set small achievable goals for the feeling of a victory. Breaking the recovery down that way makes it seem less daunting.

I have never broken my back. But have broken both ankles, one quite badly so I know a little bit about how mentally draining it can be thinking about your recovery.

By the sounds of it things could be a lot worse. Count your blessings which I know is easier said then done.

Soldato
Pretty fast recovery as I was in good health. A few doctors and staff at the time mentioned they like cyclists as they recover quickly. I think it was eight weeks till I got on the bike again, I used the turbo first, not a mad man.

In honesty I wont be the same again, it gets sore even though the physio guy I seen sometime later said its was fully healed. Headwinds bring out that soreness, I think its some nerve damage and the brain knowing it was a delicate area it turns hypersensitive. I could just drop a couple of paracetamol and forget but Im not one for shortcuts and maybe that's bad for you in the long term.

The good news is the fitter you get the less trouble the back gives. If I trained more and done proper resistance exercises too it would be manageable to be almost unnoticeable. I am riding part health/training and part for fun during the pandemic. Its a good excuse not to be roped into the club rides yet as I know I will get a beating first few group rides back. Im in no hurry but hope to be racing again some day. I have a young family so they take up much time, when I broke the back initially my wife found out we were pregnant with our youngest! When they get a bit older I will be able to put in some long miles again. To race A3/4 you should be able to batter 50 miles at pace so I know where I need to be, its some reality check you get though when your lying in a brace worrying about being able to walk again.. :)

Ah, struggled on a headwind already, it evens out my light weight advantage I have but I don't have the power to push against it so always got my head down low and hoped for the road to turn favourably! One of my cycling group is a physio so will be getting extra attention there, he reckoned he will get me back on my bike before the end of August so aligns up with your 8 weeks experience. Right now it is a long struggle to get out of bed in the morning.

**** me this thread took a turn.

Stay safe guys.

A local lad who got ran over and abandoned was in the shop yesterday and is back out on the bike after 8 weeks so not a bad recovery. He was in a bad state . Baby steps and you'll get there.

I did do a u turn when a few guys went up the outside of queued traffic rather than take position in it like the rest of us. So many ride like dicks around cars. Wasn't in the mood for it at all.

Also feeling pretty tired so chilling out to try find legs for a crit on Sunday. Did **** at the last one managing 17th without a sprint as I had lost track of laps.

I always prefer to sit in place in traffic, wait my turn at lights etc. I try to be one of the cars in town when on my own and that was exactly what I was doing. I didn't go to the front of the queue at the lights leading to the the incident, kept my place and travelled at the same speed as the traffic in front. Travelling at car speeds (21mph) meant I crashed at car speeds. I don't think the medics that I dealt with early on appreciated this. I think the owner of the car I hit understood it though, dislocated the rear bumper, dented the boot and plenty of scratches. Fortunately he and the others at the scene were really good.

Oh jeez! Sorry to hear that! Hoping for a fast recovery for you...

Not that it matters, but was it avoiding or hitting the cat that caused the accident? I'm always worried when I see a dog nearby, but you've got little chance when a sneaky cat springs from the shadows! :(

I didn't swerve, was no time and believe I can recall the feeling of hitting it. I don't have any memory of what happened between seeing it bolt across at the bottom of my visual range (was looking well ahead at the approaching junctions and what the cars ahead were doing) and about 2 seconds before the driver behind rushing over. I don't think I passed out as my memory starts mid scream and wiggling my toes.

Soldato
Rubbish! Got my AZ booked in 20th July... First was ok so kinda dreading the second! My other half just had hers, she was bad for a week from the first, second barely anything other than extra tired for a day.

Good to hear you're recovering, spin it out and don't go too deep/hard/long, slow and steady! At least with the weather turning a little that is a little easier to do - less opportunity! So keep the rides short and between the showers!

I was well behaved yesterday during my three short turbo sessions, but this morning I did my usual conservative start for a negative split Tempus Fugit TT and pushed myself to my limits after the turn and managed my first 300W+ best 20mins since a few days before my first jab on 7th April.:eek:

Most people have less severe second OxAZ jab side effects that are shorter in duration, I'm just so relieved I'm on trend this time like my partner and mum, who both suffered after the first jab. Whether that general trend is unfluenced by having had Covid, I've not seen anything definitive, but we all had it in March '20. Try not to worry too much, the side effects for a vast majority of people are far less severe than catching Covid itself.

Soldato
Ouch! Get well soon.

I've hit a cat before. Not fun. I had a fair bit of road rash and a completely messed up rear derailleur. The bike was only 4 months old. I guess I was mostly happy I had somewhat dropped my mate so he didn't crash into me after...

The cat took a brief look at me in pain in the road and walked off!

Soldato
Bah, think my stages has died already, got it in January, out this morning recording all fine, then suddenly jumped up to 5-6x reading, so calibrated and it's miles out at like 1586 or something, took battery out then replaced and nothing, got home changed battery and still nothing, no lights.

@Trifid get well soon! That's some bad luck!

Back
Top Bottom