• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do we need pins on the CPU or in the socket? Why not have pads on both?

Soldato
So how does having a bed of pins (LGA) make it easier?

I don't have an actual answer, but presumably it is easier to have pins that can bend to accommodate variances in flatness/mounting pressure etc. That way you make the socket/pcb as flat as is easy to make, the pins then assure good contact by being able to bend differently across the area to take up and slack in tolerances? Just a guess though.

Associate
What if the pads were raised on one or both ends? Slightly concaved.

I think you probably mean convex, but the same issue would apply, if any of them protruded a little more/less than the others then the chip would sit on those longer bumps and the shorter ones wouldn't make contact.

I guess a non chip analogy would be when the legs on a chair aren't quite the same length and only 3 of the 4 are in contact with the ground causing it to rock

Soldato
I think you probably mean convex, but the same issue would apply, if any of them protruded a little more/less than the others then the chip would sit on those longer bumps and the shorter ones wouldn't make contact.

I guess a non chip analogy would be when the legs on a chair aren't quite the same length and only 3 of the 4 are in contact with the ground causing it to rock
This

Man of Honour
Yep. My Pii 450 was £600 nearly a quarter of a century ago but at least it felt like you were getting a proper piece of kit :D
My Celeron 300A clocked past 450mhz (this is "overclockers" afterall!) was £63.64 iirc nearly a quarter of a century ago and still felt like you were getting a proper piece of kit :D

Soldato
So how does having a bed of pins (LGA) make it easier?

Notice how the pins are really long? That ensures some part of the pin will make contact.

Its the exact same thing with graphics cards, the connection is a long piece of copper.

Ensuring a good connection between two flat surfaces is extremely difficult to achieve on a mass production due to the tight tolerances

Soldato
My Celeron 300A clocked past 450mhz (this is "overclockers" afterall!) was £63.64 iirc nearly a quarter of a century ago and still felt like you were getting a proper piece of kit :D

Yes I was a pretty clueless 20ish year old at the time. Glad I didn’t find this out for about another 10 years

Soldato
https://youtu.be/vzKcrwlmREE

This video goes into a bit of details on LGA vs PGA. LGA pins are springs which give you proper contact with CPU.

LGA pin damage means RMA motherboard. So best to keep your receipt available if you have a habit of dropping cpu or stuff onto the socket

Back
Top Bottom