What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Rewatched Scott Pilgrim vs The World last night. Honestly dont understand how it bombed at the box office
Supremely underrated. I must watch it again.

We watched Days of the Bagnold Summer. 5/10. Mildly amusing, just a gentle film to pass the time really. Can't say much more than that.

Man of Honour
Army of the Dead - absolute tosh.

It starts out interestingly, the opening credits are done in a kinda stylised comical way and so it seemed promising there... but the rest of it is just so bad (but not in a way that makes it good again)... characters saying they can't do a thing (when blatantly they could), tired cliches, the entire thing makes no sense either once you get a bit more info... the effects are the only non-terrible bit.

The one interesting thing I learned after seeing it, was that one actor got caught in scandal so was digitally erased and replaced by someone else... I guess I'd dismissed any time people weren't looking at each other as being just the general jank of it, but I kinda wished I'd known before so I could at least have had some fun spotting out the bits.

Yeah that was done pretty amazingly well, its the woman who plays the pilot, she was digitally added to the movie after it had finished filming. To be entirely honest I really couldnt tell at all, was amazed when I found out.

Soldato
"A quite place part II". Very good indeed. Loved the Day 1 segment and the overall tone of the film. Everyone plays their part to perfection and I liked the character development of the Abbot family.

Associate
Yeah that was done pretty amazingly well, its the woman who plays the pilot, she was digitally added to the movie after it had finished filming. To be entirely honest I really couldnt tell at all, was amazed when I found out.

I just wish I'd known beforehand to see if I could notice anything that might give it away, apparently it was very expensive to do... but as silly as it is that's definitely the most interesting thing about the movie, haha.

Soldato
The dead don't die 8/10

Slow meandering, deadpan, awkward, strange and very meta.

I can see why a lot of people didn't get it or like it but personally I really enjoyed everything about it. The slow awkward pacing and scenes, the deadpan delivery, the great style of the sets and shots. The only thing I didn't like was the over use of the fourth wall breaking towards the end, should have stuck with the smaller random unacknowledged bits.

Soldato
The Time Traveler's Wife (it’s on Netflix so I didn’t have to pirate it) which I must’ve seen about 20 times as it’s my guilty pleasure film.

I really do enjoy it and it’s one of those films where several times dust gets in my eye.

Soldato
Wonder Woman 1984 - 3/10

£1.99 and two and half hours I will never get back.
Shoddy effects and a ridiculous plot (even for a superhero movie), throw in a load of scenes which were irrelevant just to stretch it out a bit more and more plot holes than I thought possible and you have the reason why DC can't compete with Marvel.

Man of Honour
Luca (Disney+)

Perfectly serviceable Pixar fair, but instantly forgettable.

5/10
I really, really, really hate bringing something like this up… I really do… because it’s tiring and exhausting and nobody wants to have to think about these things any more than we are seemingly forced to. I really do hate it.

… but it really does bug me how Italians are seemingly absolutely fair game for stereotyping and general rinsing in this film. I think the stereotyping itself in this film is quite fun and humorous, and I do not object to it, but I couldn’t help feeling a little sour about how this had been approached (in the sense of what I perceive to be a gross Hollywood hypocrisy).

Going by current Hollywood standards, how is this deemed “ok”? I mean, I think it IS ok.

I think there is absolutely no ****ing way this level of stereotyping would be allowed in a released film if it instead predominantly featured non-white characters. I detest that I find myself put in a position where I have this view, but there was so much stereotyping going on it’s genuinely what I thought when I was watching it.

I’ve been made so hyper-aware of things like this that it’s ruining my appreciation of something intended to be harmless and good humoured. It makes me cross at myself and those that constantly push these issues.

Bah.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wonder Woman 1984 - 3/10

£1.99 and two and half hours I will never get back.
Shoddy effects and a ridiculous plot (even for a superhero movie), throw in a load of scenes which were irrelevant just to stretch it out a bit more and more plot holes than I thought possible and you have the reason why DC can't compete with Marvel.
Body snatching and fighting the wind - how did Patty Jenkins go from a decent first entry to this?

Man of Honour
@Nitefly you almost make me want to watch it to get the full context. :p
Ah it’s just… I don’t know. See it and say what you think!

Excluding my thoughts on that (which I admittedly struggle to do), I quite enjoyed it. Typical Pixar affair, a fair bit lighter and more playful in tone than their most recent offerings, which was actually quite refreshing.

Caporegime
I really, really, really hate bringing something like this up… I really do… because it’s tiring and exhausting and nobody wants to have to think about these things any more than we are seemingly forced to. I really do hate it.

… but it really does bug me how Italians are seemingly absolutely fair game for stereotyping and general rinsing in this film. I think the stereotyping itself in this film is quite fun and humorous, and I do not object to it, but I couldn’t help feeling a little sour about how this had been approached (in the sense of what I perceive to be a gross Hollywood hypocrisy).

Going by current Hollywood standards, how is this deemed “ok”? I mean, I think it IS ok.

I think there is absolutely no ****ing way this level of stereotyping would be allowed in a released film if it instead predominantly featured non-white characters. I detest that I find myself put in a position where I have this view, but there was so much stereotyping going on it’s genuinely what I thought when I was watching it.

I’ve been made so hyper-aware of things like this that it’s ruining my appreciation of something intended to be harmless and good humoured. It makes me cross at myself and those that constantly push these issues.

Bah.

Most of the voice cast seem to be of Italian descent, so that's OK I guess?

Back
Top Bottom