Phrases you can't stand...

Soldato
American verb to get this

as conjugated in peloton you've got this
& now, Dominoes we've got this

they've got some kind of grammatical disease ?
Why do you put a space before your punctuation? I'm genuinely interested. A senior client of mine does it too.

Soldato
In real life , where question marks are genuinely to solicit an answer I usually, space them ,to facilitate reading clarity/speed;
I, unusually, used a question mark here, though, although it was just a rhetorical remark, so not expecting an answer.

Soldato
In real life , where question marks are genuinely to solicit an answer I usually, space them ,to facilitate reading clarity/speed;
I, unusually, used a question mark here, though, although it was just a rhetorical remark, so not expecting an answer.
Ah well it doesn't do any of that. It just sticks out and makes you wonder if the chap posting has had a stroke.

Man of Honour
American verb to get this

as conjugated in peloton you've got this
& now, Dominoes we've got this

they've got some kind of grammatical disease ?

If that’s a grammatical disease, then perhaps I suffered a mild touch of it when I was a Black Cab driver.
Fares would hail my taxi and say e.g. “Grosvenor Square please.”
Sometimes I’d just nod, then take them there, sometimes I’d say, “Grosvenor Square?, okay.” and take them there, but after reading your post I remembered that there were occasions when I’d say, “Grosvenor Square? You got it.”
Retired now, but sometimes my wife will say, “Jean, I’d like a coffee please”, and I’ll say, “You got it Red.”

Soldato
If that’s a grammatical disease, then perhaps I suffered a mild touch of it when I was a Black Cab driver.
Fares would hail my taxi and say e.g. “Grosvenor Square please.”
Sometimes I’d just nod, then take them there, sometimes I’d say, “Grosvenor Square?, okay.” and take them there, but after reading your post I remembered that there were occasions when I’d say, “Grosvenor Square? You got it.”
Retired now, but sometimes my wife will say, “Jean, I’d like a coffee please”, and I’ll say, “You got it Red.”
Would you say if your every day life was filmed, it would appear like a sequel to Casablanca?

Man of Honour
Would you say if your every day life was filmed, it would appear like a sequel to Casablanca?

Mmm, possibly, but only if I was Rick, and Ilsa came to her senses and came running back to me, failing that it would be more like a prequel to “The Score” with Bobby de Niro as Nick Wells, and I’m Nick. :cool:

Soldato
"at the end of the day"
Always respond quickly with "...it gets dark".

For me its literally, when it's used with something thats literally not literal. "I literally died when I saw it.". No. No you didn't. "I literally love him so much...". No you don't. You're on a TV show and you've just met him. Americans are literally the worst at it.

Man of Honour
When americans say can't instead of can "see if you can't get hold of him"

Fair enough, it should be can get hold of him, not can't, but I find that there's a tendency among the English to put down anything said by Americans, I can imagine sniggering if an American said, "Gee, is that right?"
It puts me in mind of my French relatives who tell silly jokes about Belgians, like our Irish jokes.

I was quoting Chojin not Feek :confused:

Sorry, I didn't see Chojin's post, I tend to think that because I, a dumb old retired
London taxi driver knows that it's moot, not mute, then everyone knows it.

Associate
Another for some Americanisms, even highly intelligent people there will leave off the 'ly from various words.

"I'm real tired"

"Drive careful"

Another pet hate is what they did to speciality, a wonderful English word taken from old French, musical and flowing.

"I work real hard, it's my specialty. I love me some special tea!"

Man of Honour
Another for some Americanisms, even highly intelligent people there will leave off the 'ly from various words.

"I'm real tired"

"Drive careful"

Another pet hate is what they did to speciality, a wonderful English word taken from old French, musical and flowing.

"I work real hard, it's my specialty. I love me some special tea!"

That’s not all they leave off, they drop words like street and avenue, e.g., “I’ll be on the corner of 113th and Amsterdam, or it’s at 47th and 8th.
They’d hail me in Sloane St. Chelsea, and say, “Hi, can you take me to Oxford?”, meaning Oxford Street, and I’d say, “Sure, but it won’t be cheap, it’s around 55 miles from here.”

Back
Top Bottom