An 80's Hot Hatch for 2021?

Soldato
Swift Sport above fits the bill for me, for the money fantastic.

Another curio would be the Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart Version R, quite cheap in Japan, but quite light, tuneable etc and not expensive

Soldato
Fiesta ST seems to be the goto recommendation I hear whenever anyone asks for an 80s hot hatch equivalent for 2021.

Maybe a Clio RS if you want something a bit cheaper second hand. Or possibly an UP GTi.

I kind of want a VW Lupo GTi personally though, like most desirable 20-30 year old hot hatches, they're starting to get expensive!

Soldato
Went from having a heavily modded MK2 golf GTi and a daily to just having a Clio 197 . Felt pretty similar. Right down to the million and one interior rattles

Dirt cheap at moment

Soldato
Clio 197/200's are great little cars that get a bit overshadowed by the previous 182 and the Mégane but they're raw enough feeling with a good amount of power once wound up and handle well too.

Also haven't reached that silly price point where a 200k mile dog still commands good money yet either

Man of Honour
Yaris GR would be the modern hot hatch equivalent.

I'd also look at a Mini JCW (different age/models available depending on budget).

I appreciate they aren't actual 80's hot hatches.

Also maybe take a look at a Corrado VR6 (I am biased due to the one sitting in my garage). It's a coupe rather than a hot hatch. But they are still good value compared to some of the more well known 80's/90's cars, although increasing now. They have a very nice soundtrack and good performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb74BSqQyoQ

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure the GR Yaris really is the modern equivalent - it's very good but looking at the list of ideal requirements it seems to me it would fall into the 'too capable' bracket, something that you'll be driving at licence losing speeds before you get anywhere near its potential.

Soldato
Clio 197/200's are great little cars that get a bit overshadowed by the previous 182 and the Mégane but they're raw enough feeling with a good amount of power once wound up and handle well too.

Also haven't reached that silly price point where a 200k mile dog still commands good money yet either

I had a Twingo 133 and still have a Clio 200.

Out the 2, I'd say the Twingo felt more like my old Golf MkII, slightly less refined and an absolute hoot to drive.

Soldato
I liked the Twingo RS Cup. I found them quite difficult to find in good condition and un-modified though :/

There is the Abarth 500 but in standard form they are turbo laggy as hell. Also, bits fall off them quite often :D

Last edited:
Associate
Love Corrado's! I would have one tomorrow. Neighbour in the nineties had the lemon yellow (not a VR6) I think it was the 16V? Corrado is a great looking car and look so small when compared to modern cars.

Whilst we are reminiscing over classic hot hatches! Fiesta RS Turbo. Me and Dad travelled across Europe following Mansell in 1992. So wish we had the car now, rare as hens teeth. It was pretty unrefined and hot, Turbo lag, but when it kicked in, it was rapid! Never forget the interest it received at GPs, one time, parked next to an F-40 and the little Fiesta stood proud, received a lot of questions as it was new and rare in Europe. My parents sold it in 1993, gutting, this was the height of hot hatch car theft (early nineties) and my Dad wanted something more refined and the cost to insure me as a teen was none-existent. Car insurance was astronomical. Someone, somewhere got a lovely example, I wonder what happened to it (probably written off as many were).

I would go for a Mini S or JCW from around 2006 (I think these are the reliable ones) it will increase in value as the original BMW Mini are getting quite scarce on the roads now, and I would guess, depreciation will be low, as its a future classic. I think decent examples may be quite expensive though.

Ford Puma (Owned one back in the late nineties) suffer from rust but could be picked up for reasonable money. Brilliant fun, 1.7, rare car nowadays!

Last edited:
Soldato
gt86 ? was going to say audi coupe quattro until i realised you want new - apparently they were just 1200kg
gt86 has got some 80's supra blood line / looks, too

Back
Top Bottom