Hedge Trimmer recommendations

Associate
Hi all,

I am after a new hedge trimmer, as my current version is a bit too small to reach easily across all of the bushes/trees that I need to trim without having to relocate the ladder multiple times and lean over (it's probably not approved H&S).

I would prefer electric, but cordless isn't a requirement - would be great to have something that can go through branches of a reasonable girth; lots seem to be 20ishmm - which seems a bit on the thin side when managing a large variety of bushes and trees.

Happy to pay for quality.

Soldato
I have loads of Hawthorne and historically i've got through new cutters every 2 years (even good branded ones). I now hire Stihl long reach petrol cutters for £25 for a weekend. It also gets the job done in half the time.

Associate
OP
I have loads of Hawthorne and historically i've got through new cutters every 2 years (even good branded ones). I now hire Stihl long reach petrol cutters for £25 for a weekend. It also gets the job done in half the time.

I had Hawthorne at my old house, I do not miss it... I don't live somewhere particularly central to civilization, so rentals tend to be hard to come by. But it's worth a look rather than having something else in the garage that I used once or twice a year.

I have the Bosch 18v one and it's great. My mum has the 36v one and it's really powerful for electric. Had both years and still going strong...

Is that the Advanced Hedgecut? Might need something a bit longer than the 54cm it comes with I'm afraid, but will re-measure what I currently use as it's just that little bit too short when trying to get the hedge all the way to the fence without precarious balancing.

Associate
I had Hawthorne at my old house, I do not miss it... I don't live somewhere particularly central to civilization, so rentals tend to be hard to come by. But it's worth a look rather than having something else in the garage that I used once or twice a year.

Is that the Advanced Hedgecut? Might need something a bit longer than the 54cm it comes with I'm afraid, but will re-measure what I currently use as it's just that little bit too short when trying to get the hedge all the way to the fence without precarious balancing.

Yes that's the one...at mums her hedges are 15ft tall and it's been fine for it...they're privets

Associate
if you have fairly thick branchs to go through don't bother with electric, i've borrowed quite a few differant ones and none of them have been that good. last year i borrowed a cheap petrol(aldi special or smilar) and the differance was massive. i don't want to spend sthil money though so i'm just about to get a mid range petrol, possibly the mountfield one

Pho

Pho

Soldato
if you have fairly thick branchs to go through don't bother with electric, i've borrowed quite a few differant ones and none of them have been that good. last year i borrowed a cheap petrol(aldi special or smilar) and the differance was massive. i don't want to spend sthil money though so i'm just about to get a mid range petrol, possibly the mountfield one

You can get lots of refurbished Stihl / Husqvarna stuff on eBay for what it's worth. I got a Stihl HL95 for just under £300 which has been great - about half the RRP or something silly.

I'd like to think they'd outlast some of the cheaper brands. I've a cheap Stihl MS170 chainsaw that's about 20 years old and it still starts like its new.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks all - lots to plough through; a bit worried that electric won't cut muster - I am not talking huge thick branches, but certainly a bit thicker than the standard privet. My current electric does most of them, but doesn't have the reach.

I tend to want to avoid petrol (despite the power) for a few reasons, but I had the same approach to lawnmowers and ended up with a Honda Izy...

Soldato
I tend to want to avoid petrol (despite the power) for a few reasons, but I had the same approach to lawnmowers and ended up with a Honda Izy...

I had exactly the same conundrum, which led me to the conclusion that the pros outweighed the cons with hiring. As said electric ones are mostly garbage

No ~£500 up front outlay
No maintenance
If it breaks it's their problem
No space being taken in the garage

Associate
OP
I had exactly the same conundrum, which led me to the conclusion that the pros outweighed the cons with hiring. As said electric ones are mostly garbage

No ~£500 up front outlay
No maintenance
If it breaks it's their problem
No space being taken in the garage

Very good points, and how often do I trim hedges anyway??!

Will see if I can find a local hire place...

Back
Top Bottom