• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vaping Juice condensation Maybe killed my 1080

Associate
I vape and have done in my PC room for the best part of the last 4 years.

I cant find a build up on anything let alone my GPU.. more likely man juice than vape juice

Pretty much same here, only time it gets anywhere is when it dribbles down the side of a bottle or you leave a tank sitting for a while

Commissario
Down to 1mg now myself. It's definitely as habit forming as smoking, just without the nasty toxins and smell.

However, I can't say I've ever noticed any residue, staining, or condensed vape anywhere on my laptops or desktop PC's.
My brother has had his brother living with him "for a few weeks" for about 3 years and vapes with one of those silly big things that looks like a steam train releasing pressure.

The residue builds up on the windows, the mirrors and sets off the upstairs hall smoke alarm on a semi regular basis when he's vaping downstairs in the lounge if the back door is shut (a couple of puffs is enough to fill the room with a visible vapour and it's the atomised glycol that makes it so visible).

I can quite believe that some vapes will put out enough gunk over time to kill electronics as it's basically a mini smoke machine putting out clouds of glycol vapour which when it cools leaves a residue, not enough to notice instantly and because it's clear unlike the residue from smoking it's not visible but over time it's like running a chip fryer or similar without a suitable extractor fan.
If you're puffing away with the intake fans for something next to you it's going to be far worse for the electronics because you've basically got it set up so the computer is now working as an extractor/room air filter.

With regards to my brother in law, I had to replace his video card (and took the opportunity to thoroughly clean his cpu heatsink/fan) about 18 months after his brother moved in, and it was pretty close to how my dad's PC used to be when he smoked near it. the gunk was slightly sticky rather than "dry", just not as thoroughly disgusting.

Basically vaping as far as the computer is concerned is more or less like smoking, and anyone who had to deal with computers back before the smoking ban in the workplace can give you horror stories about dealing with the (often sticky) mess from the tar residue you found, especially on heavy smokers. Vaping residue is just less smelly, less brown, and may take longer to build up.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking over this thread recently, to update.

1) The 1080 is sitting in the box here, 2060 works well, lucky i bought it before cryto mining explosion.

2) Vape juice killed my PSU, (Corsair HX 750i), probably one month or so after... bought a exact one immediately (only 1 in stock on OCUK), the old one is also sitting in a box.

Good thing is, as its modular, i didn't touch any cables, just swapped out the PSU itself.

I considered making a thread about that but couldn't be bothered.

3) Now i vape out of the window in the kitchen, or close enough

Did you ever try the 1080 again after swapping the PSU? Maybe the PSU had just gone unstable all along?

Associate
Have been vaping for over a decade and can't say I've ever had a build-up of vape gunk anywhere. The only time I notice it is when I'm in the car and forgotten to pull the window down a bit.

A couple of thoughts as to the cause, would be the ingredients of the flavoring, some are gonna be a lot more sugar-heavy, and have larger particulates than others and are more likely to leave a residue behind. I vape mint flavours exclusively, might be a thought to try as never had a gunk issue with it. Or, lack of airflow, windows shut, nowhere for the vapor to go, so is hitting cold spots in your computer and condensing on it.

Try a dehumidifier in the same room your pc is, it will draw the vape towards it and condense it there instead. Also, very handy to dry clothes and when it's hot and muggy outdoors, gets rid of the mugginess which makes the heat a bit more bearable as extra bonuses!

Permabanned
Looking over this thread recently, to update.

1) The 1080 is sitting in the box here, 2060 works well, lucky i bought it before cryto mining explosion.

2) Vape juice killed my PSU, (Corsair HX 750i), probably one month or so after... bought a exact one immediately (only 1 in stock on OCUK), the old one is also sitting in a box.

Good thing is, as its modular, i didn't touch any cables, just swapped out the PSU itself.

I considered making a thread about that but couldn't be bothered.

3) Now i vape out of the window in the kitchen, or close enough
i've said it before and i'll say it again .. if your house is not properly ventilated thats the problem not vape .. 8 yrs and not a single problem and i'll do 10ml in a night easy ..
but did have a few corsair psu's die on me when i smoked 4 in a row ... 1 was doa fresh from the factory

Associate
O have vaped for 3 years. Alwasy Direct to Lung with very low builds. Some dual coil cloud chucker's some single coil. For the last 18 months i have worked from home wit my works laptop to my left, ipad, iphone and monitor in front of me and PC to my right. While my windows behind me will slowly build up residue non of the aforementioned electronics ever have and that's with vaping next to them 10+ hours every day.

Vaping is considerably less harmful then smoking so do not quit unless you are sure you can do it with out going back on the stinky sticks. Since moving to vaping my blood pressure has become excellent, chest x-rays have cleared and i can walk up stairs with out losing breath. New studies seem to be pointing to vaping being at the most no worries than a fatty deit or a caffeine addiction!

Soldato
OP
Did you ever try the 1080 again after swapping the PSU? Maybe the PSU had just gone unstable all along?
The problem with the PSU occured a bit after, where i would turn my PC off, windows shuts down but everything stays on, like it didnt get the signal to turn off, it also began making clicking sounds.

Eventually it just did nothing except make regular clicking sounds
i've said it before and i'll say it again .. if your house is not properly ventilated thats the problem not vape .. 8 yrs and not a single problem and i'll do 10ml in a night easy ..
but did have a few corsair psu's die on me when i smoked 4 in a row ... 1 was doa fresh from the factory

Yes sure, but few people have the sort of ventilation that would be good.

I would need an extractor fan, ducting, and put the end of the ducting out of the window, then blow into it, that would be good,

I might have been going way more than 10ml, not really sure, i buy 1L bottles of juice. Lets say 20ml of 80%VG as a rough guess.

Keep in mind this all occurred quickly as i was furloughed, which means i am sitting on my desk 16+ hours per day non-stop constantly vaping

Permabanned
Yes sure, but few people have the sort of ventilation that would be good.

I would need an extractor fan, ducting, and put the end of the ducting out of the window, then blow into it, that would be good,

I might have been going way more than 10ml, not really sure, i buy 1L bottles of juice. Lets say 20ml of 80%VG as a rough guess.

Keep in mind this all occurred quickly as i was furloughed, which means i am sitting on my desk 16+ hours per day non-stop constantly vaping

why would you need an extractor fan ? i don't and yes i was furloughed too .. many a day well most days sat at my pc vaping away on one of 6 mods ..
and nothing no build up anywhere .. going thru 100ml+ of juice a week you can not say it was the juice it could have been just the psu and corsair don't do good psu's
in my honest opinion. you really don't know what caused it or why it happened ... but the vape to you did .. so change the way you vape ?higher mg less ml ..
i vape at 10mg 70/30 ..

Soldato
OP
why would you need an extractor fan ? i don't and yes i was furloughed too .. many a day well most days sat at my pc vaping away on one of 6 mods ..
and nothing no build up anywhere .. going thru 100ml+ of juice a week you can not say it was the juice it could have been just the psu and corsair don't do good psu's
in my honest opinion. you really don't know what caused it or why it happened ... but the vape to you did .. so change the way you vape ?higher mg less ml ..
i vape at 10mg 70/30 ..

Most likely, as i moved my entire PC to clean it turning it on its side etc, i moved vape juice inside the PSU over a component that then failed.

Not sure why you are so adamant the vape juice is not the culprit, it is, if you have no residue then great.

You are right, of course my ventilation is bad, but i dont understand why you are questioning the extractor fan, there is literally no other option aside from magic.

Caporegime
what are you smoking wd40?

image.png

:D

Associate
The problem with the PSU occured a bit after, where i would turn my PC off, windows shuts down but everything stays on, like it didnt get the signal to turn off, it also began making clicking sounds.

I'd have tried it out with the new PSU, you never know... but as a last resort my previous absolutely shameless offer still stands:

If you want to alleviate yourself of it for postage I'd be happy to oblige ;)

:D

Back
Top Bottom