• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
The Digital Foundry review was brutal. I'm confused now. Even if they are correct it may still be good enough to achieve AMD's objectives and bring sorely needed competition to the market.

I don't think it was a brutal assessment but I think they did a good job in pointing out scenarios where it will or won't look better. Now I know people aren't happy at them talking about or highlighting the image quality differences in certain titles but that's what the review needs to do.

I will say it certainly looks like a nice bit of enhancement considering it can be used across different models/generation/manufacturers cards and one of the things to remember is when you're playing something are you really going to sit there and compare those still images. Yes there will be a loss of detail as you go down each step of the FSR settings but when in motion and playing a game, especially at a 4k resolution, it's going to be hard to notice in motion mostly at Ultra Quality for example.

I can see why this may well not be great at the lowest resolutions such as 1080p however and the drop off will become a bit more extreme in a way because it's working down to super low resolutions quicker.

End of the day, like DLSS it's the first iteration and it will improve over time no doubt but it's certainly seems like a solid first step. Just need to grow that library of supported games :)

Caporegime
After seeing DLSS

44a1f2eb1bc7d123d7137e6a9e63619a.gif

After seeing FSR

stan-south-park-cum.jpg

:D

Soldato
I've used both DLSS and FSR and to me they appear very similar at 1440P in UQ mode. I personally wouldn't use either unless I need the extra fps but for people with older gpu's and consoles I think FSR is great. AMD should have allowed CAS sharpening to work with FSR to make th eimage sharper imo. The built in sharpener is not turned up high enough which would have alleviated any issues with image blurryness.

The DF review says UE5's TAA is better but most other reviewers think FSR is great. Either way it's a nice feature to have for people who need it and I expect it will be available in many games in the future. AMD will have to keep improving it over time to make the balanced mode better though.

Associate
The Digital Foundry review was brutal. I'm confused now. Even if they are correct it may still be good enough to achieve AMD's objectives and bring sorely needed competition to the market.

Yep, they didn't pull any punches. It'll be interesting to see how much impact FSR has as you're clearly trading image quality for performance (as indeed, you do in a possibly lesser/different way with DLSS) - after all, the difference between a 1080p image and a 4k image is a one pixel blur.

Associate
I don't think we will see DL from AMD unless it is the result of a colaboration between let's say Intel, AMD and Microsoft.
Not because it can't be done but because it will cost a lot of money to have your feature implemented in games. Especially when you don't own a huge part of the marketshare. It costs a lot for Nvidia too and they have huge marketshare.
So even if by a miracle AMD could make a DLSS like feature even better than Nvidia, in the end they will still lose the competition. A FSR like feature can be much more successful and i think it will be.

On the other hand look here Alex from DF telling someone to use DLSS 2.2 to reduce the ghosting. Which means he knew about this problem DLSS had, but he never talked about it. Good thing he notices the downsides of TSR or FSR. :)
https://twitter.com/Charcharo/status/1406919753566990340

Soldato
FSR is a thing, DLSS is a thing. We now have two things and the new thing is available to more people. This is a good thing, no? We don't need to defend multi-billion dollar companies, now just need a few games that support both!

On the other hand look here Alex from DF telling someone to use DLSS 2.2 to reduce the ghosting. Which means he knew about this problem DLSS had, but he never talked about it. Good thing he notices the downsides of TSR or FSR. :)
https://twitter.com/Charcharo/status/1406919753566990340

Strange that

Soldato
KitGuru tests TAAU in Godfall, not in an alpha game and only at FSR P. Once again showing how dishonest DF was with their review (spoiler: FSR is better):

https://youtu.be/E12PM6HeSNI

Yes the Kitguru review shows a comparison between FSR and TAAU and we can clearly see the TAAU side has shimmering which is no present on FSR. DF falsely claimed there is no TAAU in Godfall to make it look like AMD prevented the devs from using it. It's implemented as the resolution scale option yet DF failed to realize that :rolleyes:.

TAAU comparison starts @4:34

Caporegime
Yes the Kitguru review shows a comparison between FSR and TAAU and we can clearly see the TAAU side has shimmering which is no present on FSR. DF falsely claimed there is no TAAU in Godfall to make it look like AMD prevented the devs from using it. The TAAU option is available as a resolution scale option in the Graphics settings menu right next to FSR.

Not seen this one good find fs123.

Soldato
Yes the Kitguru review shows a comparison between FSR and TAAU and we can clearly see the TAAU side has shimmering which is no present on FSR. DF falsely claimed there is no TAAU in Godfall to make it look like AMD prevented the devs from using it. It's implemented as the resolution scale option yet DF failed to realize that :rolleyes:.

DF said FSR had shimmering in Godfall :cry:.

Soldato
You can try it out yourself in the Rift Breaker demo on Steam, I tested it on my 5700XT @ 1440 - didn't see such high gains in framerate - but it was noticeable and would be hard pushed to spot _much_ difference between native and ultra quality; it clearly got more noticeable going through all of the settings. I'd happily turn it on if I needed the framerate bump.

Soldato
I wonder. To say use performance mode but not look bad could ppl not just use vsr and use the 5k res (highest one i think) so it has the most pixel info when it downscales to whatever performance mode uses, the one with most fps i mean. That way you get better visuals at the perf setting?

Soldato
You can try it out yourself in the Rift Breaker demo on Steam, I tested it on my 5700XT @ 1440 - didn't see such high gains in framerate - but it was noticeable and would be hard pushed to spot _much_ difference between native and ultra quality; it clearly got more noticeable going through all of the settings. I'd happily turn it on if I needed the framerate bump.

Absolutely this. FSR is free tech on any GPU that they can try with a quick demo download. Instead some will take the DF review as gospel when a quick try of Riftbreaker Demo will allow them to make up their own mind. I tested at 4K with UQ it has no IQ degradation over native for a big performance uplift.

Back
Top Bottom