Freeman of the Land / Bonkers Theories

Soldato
Your father has essentially been radicalised, or indoctrinated like a cult. it's not difficult for this to happen based on the vast exposure to the likeminded all backing each other up in echo chambers online.

Basically you have to get him spending less time online in these groups and more time in the real world doing positive things. He was likely depressed and this stuff has given him a sense of purpose and direction.

Normally these groups work by creating a simplified cherry picked narrative of the world rather than the chaotic but mundane version that actually exists. He needs to start thinking more critically and reading opinions from a variety of sources.

Tell him to watch the Adam Curtis documentary on iPlayer "Can't get you out of my head" that may make him think about what he might be part of.

This basically. I remember watching an interview with someone who was deep into conspiracy theories, and they basically said the path into this idiotic void is not having a meaning or purpose and searching for acceptance. They then find something that interests them, namely a conspiracy or some rubbish like FOTL and they then get mildly indoctrinated by it and then try to promote it to those around them. The people around them call them out for their obvious rubbish and challenge their beliefs which causes the deranged person to double down and retreat to their echo chamber to be comforted and told they are right. The more people the delusional person alienates with their drivel the more they get pushed into the echo chamber and then it becomes a self-fulfilling cycle of being ridiculed and then retreating to the echo chamber to be comforted and indoctrinated more.

The more you call out the delusional people the worse it actually gets and apparently what they need is people to pay more attention to them and make them feel wanted and valuable and in time, talk them back to reason. Calling them a delusional idiot to their face or cutting them off pushes them deeper down the rabbit hole.

Sidenote: According to this tool we aren't people we are shipping cargo if we operate as a person and not a man/woman/girl/boy. What a tool

Caporegime
Some of these guys are hilarious - number plates, council tax and TV licensing tend to be key areas where they kick off. AFAIK they tend to pay most bills unless they get into silly debt situations then they try the freeman BS too, just like Tom Crawford in Nottingham.

The middle one is quite entertaining if you just watch a little bit of the first part then skip to the last 30 seconds or so...

Guy with no numberplate:

Bloke who hasn't paid his council tax then starts filming in the court reception area and police are called:

Some idiot actually in court trying to get out of paying council tax:

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you a CT sympathiser? What are you favourite CTs?

Do you never ask yourself why things are the way they are in the world, or do you just take everything at face value?

I'm currently listening to a fictional show and can't help but compare one of the people who are brainwashed with your position. Whenever the person is asked a question about any issue he repeats back "Orders must be obeyed without question at all times".

If you can find out what the quote is from, and are in to sci-fi, then I recommend it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you never ask yourself why things are the way they are in the world, or do you just take everything at face value?

I'm currently listening to a fictional show and can't help but compare one of the people who are brainwashed with your position. Whenever the person is asked a question about any issue he repeats back "Orders must be obeyed without question at all times".

If you can find out what the quote is from, and are in to sci-fi, then I recommend it :)
Thats a big old edit there Bowdon.

Soldato

Give me some examples of the types of questions I should be asking ... I assume most are anti establishment? Or are we talking fundamentals like questioning whether the Earth is round?

Associate
OP
You and others are saying the person is his dad.

Its a very strange thread. It's not like he's asking for help. Just coming on slagging him off, and at the end is calling him a lost cause.

I used that word as a lot of people have been saying to me “but, he’s supposed to be your dad…” regarding the way I’ve been treated recently.

I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching and looking for answers in all corners, an anonymous Internet forum is good for that.

When you’ve been told for so many years that you’re the one with the problem and many other manipulative things you question yourself. He’s even suggested I need to see a therapist to fix me. I always had myself down as someone quite stoic and able to work past the drama of life and business.

It was all manageable until this CT nonsense started to get amplified and an individual in the business (I’m MD) started playing games with him and making out I was running the business badly as I’d pulled him up on lying amongst other things. As he was my fathers team member it was another “you’ve got a problem yadada” so I decided that was it.

since that day he’s plumbed the depths of the internet for bizarre CT’s.

I didn’t take offence at what you said. It’s an utterly bizarre world I’m living in at the moment so was reaching out to see if anyone else was having a similar experience and how they manage.

Im fairly confident he’s a narcissist based on a number of text book examples he’s demonstrated and other peoples experience, now understanding that it was a form “abuse” I was subjected to I guess you don’t just get over it in short time.

You’re all helping, so thanks, it’s appreciated more than you realise.

Soldato
Give me some examples of the types of questions I should be asking ... I assume most are anti establishment? Or are we talking fundamentals like questioning whether the Earth is round?

It is funny you should choose the Earth shape question. Because in 400BC you would have thought it was flat. Because that was the world view at the time. Anyone suggesting it was round back then would have been considered a conspiracy theorist.

The likes of everyone on here aren't part of the establishment. We have no control or influence on any government decision. So as the public aren't we supposed to hold the government, especially our own MP's, to account? How can we do that if we don't ask questions?

Are you honestly sitting here saying that you have never had a question in your mind about the governments actions in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic?

You seem to be advocating for a subservient position were we, the public, can't ask any questions to the government. There are very good reasons to be asking questions. The first reason that comes to my mind is all the abuses that happened in the care homes in past decades. These wouldn't have come out unless the public didn't keep hounding the establishment. All these grooming cases is another example. A recent story now is about infected blood being injected in to kids and giving some of them aids and other blood disorders. If some people didn't ask questions then these events wouldn't have come to light.

It isn't wrong to ask questions. But it is important we balance any answers with reality and not take them out of all context.

Most people don't ask any questions. We make a lot of assumptions in how things run. When we start asking questions we see that our assumptions aren't always right. The problem is some people get so excited about this discovery they start researching any conspiracy going.

As someone who as looked objectively at a lot of conspiracies I can tell you one thing, most conspiracies fail because governments are incompetent. We can hardly say that the UK governments actions in handling this pandemic have been controlled 100%. They are all over the place. That's the biggest antidote to conspiracy theories. The realisation that most people in government are more concerned with their own self interest than any big world plans.

Soldato
I used that word as a lot of people have been saying to me “but, he’s supposed to be your dad…” regarding the way I’ve been treated recently.

I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching and looking for answers in all corners, an anonymous Internet forum is good for that.

When you’ve been told for so many years that you’re the one with the problem and many other manipulative things you question yourself. He’s even suggested I need to see a therapist to fix me. I always had myself down as someone quite stoic and able to work past the drama of life and business.

It was all manageable until this CT nonsense started to get amplified and an individual in the business (I’m MD) started playing games with him and making out I was running the business badly as I’d pulled him up on lying amongst other things. As he was my fathers team member it was another “you’ve got a problem yadada” so I decided that was it.

since that day he’s plumbed the depths of the internet for bizarre CT’s.

I didn’t take offence at what you said. It’s an utterly bizarre world I’m living in at the moment so was reaching out to see if anyone else was having a similar experience and how they manage.

Im fairly confident he’s a narcissist based on a number of text book examples he’s demonstrated and other peoples experience, now understanding that it was a form “abuse” I was subjected to I guess you don’t just get over it in short time.

You’re all helping, so thanks, it’s appreciated more than you realise.

Thank you for taking my comment in a positive way.

I'm wondering if your dad is suffering from some kind of mental disorder.

I used to know a guy who had paranoid delusions. The doctors ended up putting him on medication that helped him a lot. But if he forgot to take his meds, or if he had some alcohol (we used to meet up with other friends in a pub) he'd start asking if people were watching him.

I'm thinking a condition like that is difficult to start the process of him getting help as he might not feel like he has a problem.

I think it would be wise to encourage him to seek medical help. Sadly paranoia, in my non-qualified life experience, seems to be the first sign of mental illness in the people ive seen and known. The paranoia conditions tend to go hand in hand with the conspiracy world.

Soldato
It is funny you should choose the Earth shape question. Because in 400BC you would have thought it was flat. Because that was the world view at the time. Anyone suggesting it was round back then would have been considered a conspiracy theorist.

The likes of everyone on here aren't part of the establishment. We have no control or influence on any government decision. So as the public aren't we supposed to hold the government, especially our own MP's, to account? How can we do that if we don't ask questions?

Are you honestly sitting here saying that you have never had a question in your mind about the governments actions in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic?

You seem to be advocating for a subservient position were we, the public, can't ask any questions to the government. There are very good reasons to be asking questions. The first reason that comes to my mind is all the abuses that happened in the care homes in past decades. These wouldn't have come out unless the public didn't keep hounding the establishment. All these grooming cases is another example. A recent story now is about infected blood being injected in to kids and giving some of them aids and other blood disorders. If some people didn't ask questions then these events wouldn't have come to light.

It isn't wrong to ask questions. But it is important we balance any answers with reality and not take them out of all context.

Most people don't ask any questions. We make a lot of assumptions in how things run. When we start asking questions we see that our assumptions aren't always right. The problem is some people get so excited about this discovery they start researching any conspiracy going.

As someone who as looked objectively at a lot of conspiracies I can tell you one thing, most conspiracies fail because governments are incompetent. We can hardly say that the UK governments actions in handling this pandemic have been controlled 100%. They are all over the place. That's the biggest antidote to conspiracy theories. The realisation that most people in government are more concerned with their own self interest than any big world plans.
I'm asking a question out of interest, not at all promoting a subservient relationship. Normally posts like yours are questioning daft things because of a lack of general world understanding e.g. how procurement works in central government - despite these processes being published, and risks associated with expediting certain parts of the process in persuit of pace are likely to make these risks realised. They are often unachievably high expectations that those most critical are millions of miles away in their personal life, which I always find humourous (although not particularly helpful).

Back
Top Bottom