Poll: AirPods Max

Will you buy/have you bought AirPods Max?

• Yes

Votes: 25 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 193 88.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
My Steel Series Actis Pro met a premature death yesterday, all audio in the right channel stopped working (even when the receiver was turned off). A bit of Google Fu suggests that there is a cable which can come loose so I opened a support case and they're authorised a replacement. Since I use them for work calls (which they are excellent for) I needed a fast temporary replacement as I don't really have much else suitable at home. I've had my eye on AirPods Max for a while and having recently received a decent bonus from work (and some luck with Crypto currency) I thought I'd treat myself and relegate my QC35 II to spares or for use by the mrs.

So far I like the work call clarity apart from transparency which feels utterly fake. Music wise I really should let them bed before passing judgement in but I'm not really impressed with the 'fake' bass sound of them, the QC35 II seem much more natural. As an example, Foo Fighters Times Like These is overly heavy in the bass department. I'll try some more songs but 90% of my listening will be rock music.

My initial impressions are that for £550 or whatever they cost they're going back but I got them from John Lewis as I needed fast delivery and I'm unsure if that's even possible.

Man of Honour
I may have jumped the gun, for music they are far better on transparency or off, NC seems to emphasise the bass massively and it just sounds over processed. I guess NC would be more suited to films or other video rather than music enjoyment. Then again I realise we all have different tastes. I find the sound most natural with it turned to off and in the middle with transparency enabled. I have an upcoming call with a client so I'll fiddle with it more to see what works best for voice. I've also noticed that they are extremely warm to wear so will have to see how I get on there.

Soldato
For those of you using the Audiogram feature in Headphone Accomodations for your APMs, the mimi app used for the hearing test now has the AirPods Pro as a calibrated headphone to do the test with, which apparently gets better results than using the regular APs. Hopefully they’ll add the APM themselves eventually so you can do the hearing test with the cans you’re using - great feature if you have any partial loss in one ear or are just getting on a bit and don’t hear upper treble as well as you used to.

Commissario
Changed my vote again as I've bought another pair of these - This time they were second hand but brand new (in the original apple sealed box) for a very good price. In fact, I went to the Apple warranty checker and it prompted me to add the purchase date so I put today and it was accepted. I returned the original ones because they didn't really fit in with my expected use but for the price I paid, I'm happy to have them.

Soldato
Changed my vote again as I've bought another pair of these - This time they were second hand but brand new (in the original apple sealed box) for a very good price. In fact, I went to the Apple warranty checker and it prompted me to add the purchase date so I put today and it was accepted. I returned the original ones because they didn't really fit in with my expected use but for the price I paid, I'm happy to have them.

What did you end up paying for them? I always find it crazy that people sell them unopened.

Commissario
Soldato
I'm really starting to warm to the idea of investing in these but I'm still wincing at the £550 price.

Describing your potential purchase as an 'investment' is an excellent first step in convincing yourself that you're doing the right thing. I'd recommend cutting the wait down further by ordering a pair immediately.

Soldato
Describing your potential purchase as an 'investment' is an excellent first step in convincing yourself that you're doing the right thing. I'd recommend cutting the wait down further by ordering a pair immediately.

Just need to do some man-math first to make sure it's a decent deal.

And as I am sure we all know on here... Man-Math always checks out

Soldato

Yeah never got why people refer to consumer electronics devices as investments, they're consumable items that lose their value over time. Some faster or slower than others, but they all lose value.

Back
Top Bottom