Freeman of the Land / Bonkers Theories

Caporegime
It is funny you should choose the Earth shape question. Because in 400BC you would have thought it was flat. Because that was the world view at the time.

But like every other conspiracy theory, it was not an evidence based view. It was primarily theological. Anyway, Eratosthenes used science to prove the earth is round in the 3rd century BCE, so anyone clinging to a flat earth after that is just stupid.

A recent story now is about infected blood being injected in to kids and giving some of them aids and other blood disorders.

wut.

Soldato
Did your dad suffer some sort of traumatic event prior to falling down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories? I was listening to sceptical thinking podcast and a guy visited a conspiracy theory convention posing as a conspiracy theorist himself. One recurring thing he noticed when talking to people was that many people got sucked into the rabbit hole when they were at a low ebb, just after losing a loved one, messy divorce etc. His own theory was that the conspiracy theories gave their lives some purpose at that point in their life because they had something new to believe in. If your dad does fall into this category, maybe he could get some help dealing with his trauma?

Man of Honour
Believing in conspiracy theories isn't that bad until it hurts people.
Couple of examples:

1) A mid 30s bloke had convinced his elderly relatives that Covid was a hoax and in a two week period he lost his Mum, Dad and Uncle. I was involved in this case and he had to be sectioned.

2) Last Saturday the Mum of one of my future Son in laws had three relatives in her house actually crying because she is deep down the hole of Covid hoax conspiracy. They are very concerned for her and she has convinced her ill husband not to have the vaccine. Her son had Covid quite nasty last year but she won't acknowledge he had it.

Soldato
Believing in conspiracy theories isn't that bad until it hurts people.

exactly this.

this is why antivax needs to be dragged to the light and dealt with because it hurts real people, in the real world.

it's really depressing to see that the strongest possible evidence for what happens when an untreatable disease gets loose in humanity being denied by morons.

Associate
Hi All
I feel he's a lost cause.

Don't usually get involved in threads like these but I've had a grown up drink, so I'll have a quick stab at it.

I completely cut off contact with my mother about a year ago. She's been a narcissistic, toxic, selfish, influence for well over 30 years. Before that, I guess at least I was clothed and fed growing up.

For me, my own kids reaching their teens and she'd only seen them when we made the effort to visit her caused the truths being told session that ended with me deciding I've had enough.

I'm never going to be happy about it.

I'm confident I made the right decision for myself and my family.

I wish you good luck.

Soldato
I'm asking a question out of interest, not at all promoting a subservient relationship. Normally posts like yours are questioning daft things because of a lack of general world understanding e.g. how procurement works in central government - despite these processes being published, and risks associated with expediting certain parts of the process in persuit of pace are likely to make these risks realised. They are often unachievably high expectations that those most critical are millions of miles away in their personal life, which I always find humourous (although not particularly helpful).

Ahh ok. I have an open mind on many ideas. But I still recognise that some people go off the deepend sadly due to having mental health issues.

While it is good to question things any answers should always be grounded in reality. The big reality is that most governments couldn't arrange a err 'drink up' in a brewery (a PG version of the phrase :) ).

Ex-pupils of English school where 89 died testify at UK contaminated blood inquiry
https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/21...died-testify-at-uk-contaminated-blood-inquiry

It wasn't conflation to the point I was making. That if people don't ask questions then the truth never comes out.

But I think we're branching off the topic of the thread, that the OP's father seems to have done down a rabbit hole.

I think he needs to seek some professional help. I'm sure if he believes all he's reading, 99% of it is all doom and gloom, he'll be a very stressed and anxious person. Maybe that could be a reason to encourage him to go see a doctor.

Soldato
I can sympathize. I spent 2 days working for a client who's fully into this. Total Covid denial, the vaccine makes you magnetic/will kill you/sterilise you, "million person Freedom marches on London at the start of June that the MSM just didn't report", anyone who disagrees is a moron, used "sheeple" all the time and then came out with a phrase that blew my mind. Luckily I was facing away when they said, "David Icke was right and a lot of people owe him an apology." :eek::cry:
The only major tick box missed was anti-Semitism but I put the down to the fact that they had the 'Jewish Study Bible' on their chair.

A friend fell into this trap, as well as soon as I sent a few messages debunking the above info she blocked me and will not speak to me..

Monday she was so greatful for helping her out with a legal issue, Tuesday she started sending be bat poop crazy anti vax vids,, Wednesday I dissected two videos and sent back links to real science debunking what they said... Next day blocked.. A month later still no communication

Associate
OP
Don't usually get involved in threads like these but I've had a grown up drink, so I'll have a quick stab at it.

I completely cut off contact with my mother about a year ago. She's been a narcissistic, toxic, selfish, influence for well over 30 years. Before that, I guess at least I was clothed and fed growing up.

For me, my own kids reaching their teens and she'd only seen them when we made the effort to visit her caused the truths being told session that ended with me deciding I've had enough.

I'm never going to be happy about it.

I'm confident I made the right decision for myself and my family.

I wish you good luck.

sounds familiar, never once did we get invited out. Was always having to suggest to get together after he would make suggestions we didn’t make an effort to see him. Massive ego problem. Apparently narcissists are prone to conspiracy theories.

After the third week of him trying to destroy the business to “teach me a lesson” (his exact words to our ops director), he went out and bought a Bentley and parked in my space at the factory. He had the audacity to put it on the fleet policy too.

I look back now and realise how it’s been a Herculean effort to grow our business to where it is today, crazy that he tried to ruin it to prove a point, still not worked out what it was he was trying to prove though.

Associate
OP
It seems that there is psychosis now, "David Icke was probably right all along"

Anyone know what the hell Common Law Court of Great Britain is? Even our solicitor is bereft.

The contract is a joke in general but the last part is a gift.
In the event of any dispute raised by either party with regards to the terms of The Contract, adjudication shall be made in The Common Law Court of Great Britain.
No other Legal Jurisdiction is consented to by the Beneficiary/Seller

It's sad watching someone slowly lose their mind.

Soldato
It seems that there is psychosis now, "David Icke was probably right all along"

Anyone know what the hell Common Law Court of Great Britain is? Even our solicitor is bereft.

The contract is a joke in general but the last part is a gift.

It's sad watching someone slowly lose their mind.

I'd guess it's this

https://www.commonlawcourt.com/

The forums are good for a laugh.

No surprise to see they're selling stuff to people.

Back
Top Bottom