Is it worth getting a pressure test tool?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Or just YOLO it? I assume you pump it up to a pressure and see that it does not reduce. But is any amount of pressure reduction whatsoever acceptable?

I had the same thought but bought it in the end, but certainly gave peace of mind everything was fine when after 24 hours it was still holding pressure without even the slightest drop.

Associate
OP
I had the same thought but bought it in the end, but certainly gave peace of mind everything was fine when after 24 hours it was still holding pressure without even the slightest drop.

Ok its prob worth it, saves the cost of refilling if its botched.

Do you know what kind of pressure loops run at, does it depend on the pump speed?

Soldato
If I was building them for a customer or as a business for 100% peace of mind then I probably would but for the most part they aren’t really worth it.

1. You don’t know if the tool itself has a slight leak and a lot of the pressure testing tools you see people having issues like that.

I usually just blow into the loop and listen to the amount of air and pressure coming out as well as where the water level moves too. Blow and pressurise the loop again, shut a valve and come back after 5-10 minutes if there is still identical pressure when I open the valve then it’s fine.

They don’t particularly run at much pressure so if it will hold air pressure after 5-10 minutes it will hold water.

Associate
It very much depends on your confidence. I've set up a few loops without a pressure tester and only had one very minor leak with a run that should have had another fitting in it. If you want the peace of mind knowing your loop is good before you fill it though, spend the money.

Associate
I would say yes but don't trust the recommended psi/bar markings on the dial.
I generally set the pressure to 0.4bar and leave for 15-20min. If it'll hold air at that pressure it certainly isn't going to leak water.

On a side note though, these pressure testers aren't a replacement for doing a full check pre filling of all your fittings, pipes etc. I've been caught out before leaving too much trust to the tester and missing a loose fitting which meant fully draining the system, retesting and refilling.

Soldato
To be honest, I made one for about 15 quid to test some second hand parts, and a big radiator using grub nuts to close ports. Wasn't going to pay for. Dr Drop (known to leak beyond usefulness) or the new EK one (overpriced because it's pretty, just like their entire company direction as of late).

I will use it for rough testing of a full system though because I have a few push fit connectors in use. 6 psi or so for the time it takes to run my rats in the evening, and if it holds then I'll fill up with paper towel.

Associate
I've never bothered with a pressure tester, I always just do a run with distilled water to check for leaks over 24hrs running the pump off a separate PSU outside the PC. I guess I like to live dangerously XD

Soldato
Never seen the point of one tbh, if you check everything over thoroughly prior to filling there shouldn't be any leaks.

Saying that though... there was that one time my cpu block leaked cos the oring had failed... probs the only time i wish i had a leak tester.

Soldato
I've never bothered with a pressure tester, I always just do a run with distilled water to check for leaks over 24hrs running the pump off a separate PSU outside the PC. I guess I like to live dangerously XD

If I haven’t done much work say swap a gpu or cpu I fill mine up while the system is posting muhahaha.

Associate
I'm barely competent and I've only ever had leaks from them angled fittings that seems to be a common weakness and it seems every single angled fitting uses the same manufacturer. The new ek torque fittings seem a lot more reliable though.

Associate
I'm barely competent and I've only ever had leaks from them angled fittings that seems to be a common weakness and it seems every single angled fitting uses the same manufacturer. The new ek torque fittings seem a lot more reliable though.

Personally I've never had a problem with angled fittings and I assume by this you mean rotary fittings ?. The only time I have ever known them to fail is when they have been under a constant stress or load for example used in a tight space at a crazy angle that puts a constant pressure on the rotary. Other than that they are pretty much idiot proof.

Soldato
Personally I've never had a problem with angled fittings and I assume by this you mean rotary fittings ?. The only time I have ever known them to fail is when they have been under a constant stress or load for example used in a tight space at a crazy angle that puts a constant pressure on the rotary. Other than that they are pretty much idiot proof.

Thats the only time I’ve had one fail was because the bend wasnt quite right and it put too much stress on the fitting over time it leaked.

Only really use flexi now for that reason, much more forgiving in that regard. Use bitspower rotaries which seem to be better quality than EK as well. Never had an issue since in many years of watercooling.

Never had a block or radiator etc fail, loop is of too little pressure really.

Back
Top Bottom