Coil whine after installing new CPU, GPU and motherboard?

Associate
My PSU seems to now have coil whine after installing a new motherboard, CPU and GPU, it was completely silent before (with 1080ti and 7700k). Would this be caused by it struggling to supply enough power? (Spec in signature for reference).

It is very hard to tell at the minute if the whine is coming from the PSU or the GPU but it sounds exactly like my old PSU did when it had coil whine which was the reason I replaced it a while back.

Associate
OP
It doesn't automatically suggest a PSU is bad. Just about all electronics suffer from coil whine, you may find a unit quieter though.
Yeah, I just like them quiet, I can never find one that stays quiet for long though. Corsairs have been terrible which is why I tried an Asus ROG this time.

Soldato
You certainly upped power draw potential lot.
Intel has horrible max power draws for less processing power than Ryzens.
And 3090 is one of the most power hogging cards of all time with 350W level average draw and 550+ W transients.

Running different stress tests stressing only CPU or GPU could be used for trying to narrow down cause.
Whine can come as well from CPU's VRM on mobo or from VRM

Associate
OP
You certainly upped power draw potential lot.
Intel has horrible max power draws for less processing power than Ryzens.
And 3090 is one of the most power hogging cards of all time with 350W level average draw and 550+ W transients.

Running different stress tests stressing only CPU or GPU could be used for trying to narrow down cause.
Whine can come as well from CPU's VRM on mobo or from VRM
Good point, I'll try to narrow it down a bit before I act on it.

Associate
OP
Whines are annoying and do seem a lot more common now then they were in the past

I've found GPU's and PSU's the worst for it but yeh defo try n narrow it down before spending ££ you might not need to
It's a real battle nowadays, before my recent upgrades my PC was silent under load so coil whine was very audible, which is why I kept changing PSUs.

Associate
It's a real battle nowadays, before my recent upgrades my PC was silent under load so coil whine was very audible, which is why I kept changing PSUs.

It is, recently sent back a Corsair RGB 750w because of whine and had a couple GPU's I sold on due to whine, seems to be some inconsistency in units, don't know if it's component quality or something else at work here...

Associate
OP
Ordinarily I would swap it out yes but given the current availability of them it'll just be a pain. I bought it for MSRP from new so my only recourse would be through the retailer but stocks are limited.

Associate
Ordinarily I would swap it out yes but given the current availability of them it'll just be a pain. I bought it for MSRP from new so my only recourse would be through the retailer but stocks are limited.

If it's an FE you could go down the RMA route as they should be able to swap it pretty easy, AIB cards on the other hand maybe not as stock is much more limited

Associate
OP
If it's an FE you could go down the RMA route as they should be able to swap it pretty easy, AIB cards on the other hand maybe not as stock is much more limited
It is an FE yes, I may contact them but not sure if they'll want it back for testing and all that jazz which I can't be bothered with because it'll leave me with no GPU.

Associate
It is an FE yes, I may contact them but not sure if they'll want it back for testing and all that jazz which I can't be bothered with because it'll leave me with no GPU.

The retailer you got it from is normally pretty good, up to you really depends how loud and annoying it is, if it was me and it was annoying me I would RMA it but ultimately it's your call

Permabanned
Was there not a new stress program up top to try tame this by running it in?

My 3090FE is fine.

(look under Humbug of matt AMS fanboys) :p

Back
Top Bottom