• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3070 Price - are they really worth it?

Associate
The masses are pretty slow to react to situations but I think the hysteria is slowly being replaced by anger. The more angry people get the more likely they are to simply refuse to buy at inflated prices.

I really need a graphics card but I have become angry now at this situation and the way the various companies and scalpers are behaving. The likes of NVIDIA could have done a lot more to ease this situation, and instead they have done pretty much nothing. If OCUK can make an effort then NVIDIA could have done a lot more.
That's true, they could refuse to provide chips to AIBs unless they're willing to sell their cards at MSRP prices.
Instead use all of those chips for FE's which are sold at MSRP, they're not great cards but certainly better than the alternative prices.

Soldato
OCUK are paying more than RRP themselves, I feel calling them scalpers is a little harsh imo, they put the members deals on and make little to no profit on those, they didn't have to do that.

I totally agree with this statement. OcUk have gone above and beyond to look after the forum members with the three deals. OcUK, Gibbo didn’t have to do that. It’s really appreciated given the current situation.

Associate
I would say Most of you are *totally* wrong.
RTX 3070 at £900 is DEFINATELY worth it, Why?
Your looking at £900 which is worth roughly LESS than £500 was a few years ago.
The dollar/pound/euro has Inflated!!! (Just look at the price of copper and other raw materials)
I was trading in the markets for over 15 years before I retired and I see the start of a new commodity cycle.
Unless I'm mistaken this is the NEW NORMAL and these prices are here to stay.
At £900 you are most likely getting a discount, you are likely to see prices hold and even increase going forward now.
It's been a long time since real inflation has hit the western world but this is the start.

Associate
I would say Most of you are *totally* wrong.
RTX 3070 at £900 is DEFINATELY worth it, Why?
Your looking at £900 which is worth roughly LESS than £500 was a few years ago.
The dollar/pound/euro has Inflated!!! (Just look at the price of copper and other raw materials)
I was trading in the markets for over 15 years before I retired and I see the start of a new commodity cycle.
Unless I'm mistaken this is the NEW NORMAL and these prices are here to stay.
At £900 you are most likely getting a discount, you are likely to see prices hold and even increase going forward now.
It's been a long time since real inflation has hit the western world but this is the start.

Don't agree, when it comes to the average person they can't afford £900 on a 'midrange' gaming GPU and will not pay it. Unless your going to change the goal posts on performance and say its on a scale from 0-100 as oppose to it being based on the previous generation. All these cards are priced as production level cards, cards businesses use. PS5s and Xboxs wouldn't be going for £500 if the cost of inflation was so high.

Soldato
@Harold lloyd

Lol, I don't think so. There's been about 7.91% of CPI inflation on the pound since 2017. So, £500 in 2017 would be worth about £539.56 today.

You would need about 80% inflation to get from £500 to £900.

It's true that inflation can't be entirely judged on CPI though.

Associate
Don't agree, when it comes to the average person they can't afford £900 on a 'midrange' gaming GPU and will not pay it. Unless your going to change the goal posts on performance and say its on a scale from 0-100 as oppose to it being based on the previous generation. All these cards are priced as production level cards, cards businesses use. PS5s and Xboxs wouldn't be going for £500 if the cost of inflation was so high.

Well just look at the commodity price charts (google) just about everything is up in price across the board.
Remember I did trade markets for over 15 years and know prices inside out for the most part, looks like some really nasty inflation jump appearing in the western world.
You are right the average person they can't afford £900 on a 'midrange' gaming GPU but we have a commodity SHORTAGE here and at the same time billions of worldwide consumers.
For example a new copper mine can't just be set up it takes over 5 years and 10's of million dollars so the delay causes a shortage and high prices of goods.

Associate
@Harold lloyd

Lol, I don't think so. There's been about 7.91% of CPI inflation on the pound since 2017. So, £500 in 2017 would be worth about £539.56 today.

You would need about 80% inflation to get from £500 to £900.

If you are looking at official stats then most of that is fake.
Anyway take it from one of the best traders - see if GPU prices drop a year from now or in 6 months.

Caporegime
If you are looking at official stats then most of that is fake.
Anyway take it from one of the best traders - see if GPU prices drop a year from now or in 6 months.
New account, and your first 4 or 5 posts are to say that these prices are great, people should pay these prices, prices will go up.

"I'm a trader for 15 years, listen to me!" in a couple of your posts.

Forgive me but this triggers multiple alarm bells. Don't suppose you're also a Nigerian Prince, by any chance?

Associate
Well just look at the commodity price charts (google) just about everything is up in price across the board.
Remember I did trade markets for over 15 years and know prices inside out for the most part, looks like some really nasty inflation jump appearing in the western world.
You are right the average person they can't afford £900 on a 'midrange' gaming GPU but we have a commodity SHORTAGE here and at the same time billions of worldwide consumers.
For example a new copper mine can't just be set up it takes over 5 years and 10's of million dollars so the delay causes a shortage and high prices of goods.

You said it, it's a commodity, not a necessity, price is dictated by want not need.

Associate
New account, and your first 4 or 5 posts are to say that these prices are great, people should pay these prices, prices will go up.

"I'm a trader for 15 years, listen to me!" in a couple of your posts.

Forgive me but this triggers multiple alarm bells. Don't suppose you're also a Nigerian Prince, by any chance?

Ask me anything about trading, markets etc and I will do my best to reply.
Take a look at the commodity price charts for yourself.
I have read this forum over the years but not posted.
Nigerian Prince, Ha Ha!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom