• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
The short answer, they are much better for Destiny 2 than the previous drivers.

I changed from windowed mode to fullscreen where I was getting the most issues before. I encountered some hitching for the 20 minutes I played. So I restarted the game and played for another 20 minutes. And it was really smooth after the reset.

I'm very happy. :D

Noice. Thank you for checking in and getting back to me.

Associate
It was but does not mean it could not be changed, for single displays anyway. :)

Yeah, I just had the feeling it could be achieved because I encountered similar with Nvidia on my 1080 Ti, where certain driver versions would cause high idle clocks at anything over 120Hz, and reverting/updating the driver would fix it.

Either way I'm very pleased, although it does seem that while power consumption is down to around 20w at 240Hz from 47w, at 120Hz the consumption also seems to be 20w, where previously it was 7w. This was after a quick check though so I'll retest both later and make sure everything is idle while monitoring.

[Edit] I was wrong, it goes all the way down to 7w at idle at all refresh rates. Fantastic!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the addition of the SAM button seems to have actually fixed my SAM problems. Previously I could only realise the addtional performance from having it enabled after doing a fresh install of Windows, however a few days later the perforamnce would just disappear despite everything still being enabled in the Bios. The last time I actually checked was when the resizable bar indicator was added to GPU-Z so I can't be absolutely sure it's the drivers that have fixed it as apposed to something Windows had done, however I'm chuffed regardless. Particulary as I spent quite a bit of money on larger SSDs to be able to remove the pcie extension card I was using previously that needed CSM compatability enabled.

Soldato
This driver fixed my high idle memory clocks too, should save a few pennies over the year. :p

going from roughly 35-40ish watt idle to 7 watt idle according to Wattman is much appreciated. We pay a fair bit for power here in Denmark, around 2.5DKK per Kilowatt Hour. So rough calc to British pound that saves me 27 quid a year.

So as mad as it sounds i have been using the original drivers from before christmas on my 6800XT, everything played great so figured id leave them alone. Well last night after a few beers i figured id bung the latest drivers on and see if performance improved a tad....it did not, my fps in games were still high but i had this annoying hitching/stutter that looked like going from 60hz to 55hz and back if you catch my drift. Checked all settings, vsync, freesync etc, everything normal. Couldnt sort it out so put the original drivers back on and everything is butter smooth.....im at a loss?

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
So as mad as it sounds i have been using the original drivers from before christmas on my 6800XT, everything played great so figured id leave them alone. Well last night after a few beers i figured id bung the latest drivers on and see if performance improved a tad....it did not, my fps in games were still high but i had this annoying hitching/stutter that looked like going from 60hz to 55hz and back if you catch my drift. Checked all settings, vsync, freesync etc, everything normal. Couldnt sort it out so put the original drivers back on and everything is butter smooth.....im at a loss?

Hey there, could you let us know the install process you went with?

For example, was it a clean install (Factory Reset option)? If so, did you retain or discard user settings going into 21.6.1?

Cheers

Hey there, could you let us know the install process you went with?

For example, was it a clean install (Factory Reset option)? If so, did you retain or discard user settings going into 21.6.1?

Cheers

Hey Vik, yeah it was factory reset and install the new ones. Id read in the release notes that on older drivers when doing factory reset it can wipe your chipset drivers as well? so i made sure they were still installed etc. I discarded user settings.

Really strange and it was something i could replicate as it did it in certain areas of games, walking backwards and forwards you would get the stutter like going from solid 60fps to 50 then back in a second of two(even though OSD said my frame rate was pinned at 60)

For reference this is happening in Borderlands 2/3, Jedi Fallen Order, CyberPunk 2077. Put the original drivers back on and everything is perfect again.

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey Vik, yeah it was factory reset and install the new ones. Id read in the release notes that on older drivers when doing factory reset it can wipe your chipset drivers as well? so i made sure they were still installed etc. I discarded user settings.

Really strange and it was something i could replicate as it did it in certain areas of games, walking backwards and forwards you would get the stutter like going from solid 60fps to 50 then back in a second of two(even though OSD said my frame rate was pinned at 60)

For reference this is happening in Borderlands 2/3, Jedi Fallen Order, CyberPunk 2077. Put the original drivers back on and everything is perfect again.

Really interesting. Thank you for listing the games, I'll have a look into them on my side.

Cheers!

Associate
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 Release Notes

Open shopping cart

here on how to opt out of the program.
  • Resident Evil Village™ may experience an intermittent application hang or TDR on AMD Radeon VII graphics products in the first mission of the game.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • An Oculus service error may be received on Radeon RX 5000 & 6000 series graphics products which prevents the Oculus Link setup software from running.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
  • If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart may be required.
  • If Blue or Black screen is observed in mobile systems, temporarily disable Enhanced sign-in
  • A driver mismatch error may appear when two versions of Radeon software (Windows Store & AMD Support versions) are installed on your system. As a temporary workaround, launch the Windows Store version of Radeon software.
  • AMD is investigating an issue that may cause a small impact to battery life on AMD Ryzen 5000 notebooks.
  • A Blue or Black screen may be observed after updating to the latest Radeon Software. A workaround is to disable core isolation.
  • AMD is investigating a D3 code that may be seen in some motherboard after updating to the latest Radeon Software.
  • Lower than expected performance may be observed on select AMD Athlon™ mobile systems.
AMD Link for Windows Known Issues
  • Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 Driver Version 21.20.01.16 for Windows® 10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.22001.16006).
Important Notes
  • Support for Windows® 7 based operating systems and some older generations of AMD Radeon™ Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model. Learn more from AMD here.
  • Improvements have been made to the Radeon Software installation experience to address scenarios where a legacy AMD Radeon™ Graphics product is paired with a non-legacy AMD Radeon™ Graphics product in a single system configuration. Learn more from AMD here.
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 installation package can be downloaded from the following links:
By clicking the Download button, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement (“EULA”). If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of these licenses, you do not have a license to any of the AMD software provided by this download.

Installing Radeon Software Adrenalin
For detailed instructions on how to correctly uninstall or install Radeon Software Adrenalin, please refer to the following support resources:

NOTE:
This driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.

When installing Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 for the Windows® operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator, or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2.

Radeon Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.

Radeon™ RX 6900/6800/6700 Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 5700/5600/5500/5300 Series Graphics
Radeon™ VII
Radeon™ RX Vega Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo
Radeon™ RX 500 / Radeon 500X Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics
Mobility Radeon™ Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800M Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ RX 5700M/5600M/5500M/5300M Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ 600 Series Graphics
AMD Processors with Radeon Graphics Product Compatibility
Important Note for Laptop and All-In-One (AIO) PCs
AMD recommends OEM-provided drivers which are customized and validated for their system-specific features and optimizations.
If you experience issues using the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin driver package downloaded from AMD.com, please install the OEM-provided drivers for full support and compatibility.

DESKTOP

MOBILE

AMD Ryzen™ Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
AMD Ryzen™ PRO Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Ryzen™ PRO Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
AMD Athlon™ Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Athlon™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
AMD Athlon™ PRO Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics AMD Athlon™ PRO Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics

Associate
Can some one from amd explain why the issue with enhanced sync is still not fixed?

This solution is way better then nvidia implementation but it's borked according to the drivers notes, regards the issue?

Soldato
Can some one from amd explain why the issue with enhanced sync is still not fixed?

This solution is way better then nvidia implementation but it's borked according to the drivers notes, regards the issue?

Works fine on my games I dont get a black screen. :) Plus no one from AMD works on here (I dont think) apart from the rep I saw so its pretty much fell on deaf ears your question. :)

Associate
I didn't realise my idle clock could be lower. Using 21.6.2 on a 6700XT and if I drop to 60Hz from 120Hz, Watts go to a minimum of 5. It's usually around 33W.

I'm seeing people here say the issue is fixed, but if I go back to 120Hz on my 4K screen, VRAM clocks and Power go back up. Is this a returning bug or is there something else I can do?

Caporegime
OP
I didn't realise my idle clock could be lower. Using 21.6.2 on a 6700XT and if I drop to 60Hz from 120Hz, Watts go to a minimum of 5. It's usually around 33W.

I'm seeing people here say the issue is fixed, but if I go back to 120Hz on my 4K screen, VRAM clocks and Power go back up. Is this a returning bug or is there something else I can do?
How many displays and what does the VRAM clock go up to?

Back
Top Bottom