*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
So basically they have made my main and side PCs end of life by this utterly stupid requirement for TPM, even though both boards can accept a module there is NO MODULES for sale to install on to them. I work in corporate environment so I'm well aware of TPM and secure boot where they are integral to bitlocker use but outside that in the home market it doesn't have anywhere near the need, requirement or install base outside of expensive home laptop models.

I'm very livid at this requirement considering the costs I will have to foot to replacement both my system due to Microsofts **** like this!!!!!

This will increase the run on hardware silicon and parts as more people artificially upgrade their parts and/or PCs as a whole. Talk about generating ewaste for next to no real reason, grrr.

V F

V F

Soldato
I cannot even find any information for my Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme on TPM/socket apart from reading around reddit and such that it needs a TPM module that isn't in stock.

GC-TPM2.0 SPI 2.0

Soldato
So basically they have made my main and side PCs end of life by this utterly stupid requirement for TPM, even though both boards can accept a module there is NO MODULES for sale to install on to them. I work in corporate environment so I'm well aware of TPM and secure boot where they are integral to bitlocker use but outside that in the home market it doesn't have anywhere near the need, requirement or install base outside of expensive home laptop models.

I'm very livid at this requirement considering the costs I will have to foot to replacement both my system due to Microsofts **** like this!!!!!

This will increase the run on hardware silicon and parts as more people artificially upgrade their parts and/or PCs as a whole. Talk about generating ewaste for next to no real reason, grrr.

Yep it seems utterly mindless. They are going to continue supporting W10 to sometime in 2025 if they don't see the error of their ways with regards to these ridiculous CPU requirements at least we can stick with W10.

Associate
Yep it seems utterly mindless. They are going to continue supporting W10 to sometime in 2025 if they don't see the error of their ways with regards to these ridiculous CPU requirements at least we can stick with W10.

Less than 4 years is not a lot of time really and they have effectually pay walled gaming features behind these requirements to boot!!!

Bunch of *******!!!

Soldato
I know I've already made my thoughts known over the Windows 11 requirements, but really I was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway - if my current system couldn't handle W11, then I'd have just upgraded.

Realistically, how many of us will be using the same hardware in 2025, when support for Windows 10 ends? I suspect the upgrade itch will have got the better of some in this thread (including myself), whether Windows 11 was coming or not.

Soldato
Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)

Is there an actual chip onboard for it? Interesting...

"Trusted Computing
Enables or disables Trusted Platform Module (TPM).
"

I'm not 100% what version, but I think the firmware (if that's the right terminology) based TPM is built into the CPU, it's either the 1.2 or 2.0 version, not sure. But I also think the 8th Gen Intel up have the minimum required TPM version to support Windows 11.

So you're probably fine on a Z490 with presumably a 10th Gen Intel?

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm not 100% what version, but I think the firmware (if that's the right terminology) based TPM is built into the CPU, it's either the 1.2 or 2.0 version, not sure. But I also think the 8th Gen Intel up have the minimum required TPM version to support Windows 11.

So you're probably fine on a Z490 with presumably a 10th Gen Intel?

Yeah, 10900K.

Soldato
Realistically, how many of us will be using the same hardware in 2025, when support for Windows 10 ends? I suspect the upgrade itch will have got the better of some in this thread (including myself), whether Windows 11 was coming or not.
I don't really see it as 2025. Windows 11 will be available in 2022. Enthusiasts don't want to be running an old OS for 3 years.

Associate
I don't have a TPM chip on my RoG Strix Z390 F but there is a socket for one and I've found a place with the 2.0 chips on pre order under £10 so I'll likely pick one up just in case, my 9900K build isn't supported without TPM using the Windows 11 official checker.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1orlhqi+9S.pdf

As above page 48 of manual has TPM firmware or discrete selection but nothing else about TPM, I think I'll need that extra chip, might just buy one anyway as are likely to be scarce.

V F

V F

Soldato
Because it was primarily for Encryption/Bitlocker and how would home users need that and aside from the performance loss.

I bet till yesterday many did not even know what TPM was.

Also did not come with the Mobo, the TPM header was there on some models but you had to buy it from the vendor.

I certainly didn't know about TPM until all the TPM Windows 11 discussions. It's on numerous tech sites now.

https://www.neowin.net/news/some-thoughts-on-microsofts-requirement-for-a-tpm-module-in-windows-11/

"This is likely going to be an ongoing debate for some time, as computers without TPM will be ticking around for a long time so there is a good chance Windows 10 is going to stick around like Windows XP and Windows 7 did before it. I think I am in favor of it, although I personally have computers I will be unable to upgrade because of this."

Permabanned
I don't have a TPM chip on my RoG Strix Z390 F but there is a socket for one and I've found a place with the 2.0 chips on pre order under £10 so I'll likely pick one up just in case, my 9900K build isn't supported without TPM using the Windows 11 official checker.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1orlhqi+9S.pdf

As above page 48 of manual has TPM firmware or discrete selection but nothing else about TPM, I think I'll need that extra chip, might just buy one anyway as are likely to be scarce.

Are you sure you do not have some hidden setting for Intel's Trusted Platform Module (basically Firmware version of TPM)?

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): TPM For The Masses (onlogic.com)

Associate
I did search for PTT, but couldn't find anything. Maybe under another name?

The ROG Strix is fairly low end so not sure it lacks it onboard or not.

Either way thanks all for this discussion, I didn't even know what TPM was so good to get a head start if necessary.

Determined to squeeze a lot out of this 9900K and 32GB build including Windows 11.

V F

V F

Soldato
I did search for PTT, but couldn't find anything. Maybe under another name?

The ROG Strix is fairly low end so not sure it lacks it onboard or not.

Either way thanks all for this discussion, I didn't even know what TPM was so good to get a head start if necessary.

Determined to squeeze a lot out of this 9900K and 32GB build including Windows 11.

It's definitely PTT on Intel. Is there a settings menu under your BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom