Bus Gates

Soldato
I'd never seen a Bus Gate before until I drove through one in Colchester.

I was driving down a normal looking road and at the end of it was a Bus Gate, it had two lanes with a No Entry on the right side but both sides had Bus Gate markings. I was a bit stuck at this point as I was trying to get to a Co-op, which was back in the other direction but ended up at the Bus Gate as I was struggling to find somewhere to turn around. Anyway I drove through the Bus Gate on the non No Entry side, swung around the round about on the other side to go back the way I came from again going through the Bus Gate.
Turns out both sides of the Bus Gate had cameras and going through one is classed as driving in a bus lane.
I got a fine through for one offence of driving through the Bus Gate, it appears they've let me off of stupidly going back through it to turn around :p
Anyway, just thought I'd give people a heads up that Bus Gates exist and that you'll be fined if you go through one.

Associate
Never heard of bus gates before but I lived in Runcorn once & they have miles of roads dedicated to busses only..all countryfied type roads...no cars etc allowed...very strange.

Soldato
OP
Never heard of bus gates before but I lived in Runcorn once & they have miles of roads dedicated to busses only..all countryfied type roads...no cars etc allowed...very strange.

Same, so it was a normal road but at the end of the road before a roundabout was a bus gate, which only buses are allowed to go through. I guess it is purely to stop people using roads as rat runs.

Soldato
I'd never seen a Bus Gate before until I drove through one in Colchester.

I was driving down a normal looking road and at the end of it was a Bus Gate, it had two lanes with a No Entry on the right side but both sides had Bus Gate markings. I was a bit stuck at this point as I was trying to get to a Co-op, which was back in the other direction but ended up at the Bus Gate as I was struggling to find somewhere to turn around. Anyway I drove through the Bus Gate on the non No Entry side, swung around the round about on the other side to go back the way I came from again going through the Bus Gate.
Turns out both sides of the Bus Gate had cameras and going through one is classed as driving in a bus lane.
I got a fine through for one offence of driving through the Bus Gate, it appears they've let me off of stupidly going back through it to turn around :p
Anyway, just thought I'd give people a heads up that Bus Gates exist and that you'll be fined if you go through one.

I drive through bus gates/lanes on a daily basis and don't get fined ;)

Back
Top Bottom