Wondows 11, not upgrading till I have to,

Permabanned
Same here. I will delay it as much as I can. The reasons for me is that I am not excited by any new features and am more concerned about loss of privacy. Until I know how to disable all the inevitable privacy leaks and advertising then I am not interested.

Soldato
I actually think the full screen start menu in W10 is superior to the W11 widgets anyway and the rest is mostly just some window dressing. W10 has matured quite nicely if you spend some time setting it up.

Man of Honour
I always end up back on 7 for any machine I actually need to rely on :( and that isn't something with a future :(

10 has some nice ideas but the implementation is often pants on head and obviously ignoring any feedback or caring what the end user experience might be and I don't see that changing with 11. I like the aesthetic style of 11 but looks like it has been borrowed from other people's ideas without understanding the design language and likely won't be unified over the whole OS. Again looks like lots of good ideas but too limited vision or effort in implementation to make them actually great in use.

Soldato
I dug into the BIOS on my Asus B560M Plus and armed with the knowledge that Intel call their version IPTT found the relevant setting in the Advanced settings under PCH-FW. It defaulted to an external TPM device - odd, because the motherboard does not support one - or an internal one. I changed to the latter and TPM is now showing up in Windows.

Associate
My 4 year old computer will not run windows 11. Intel core i7 6700k, chip not good enough. I think this going to add a lot to chip shortages

Associate
the 6700k is 6 years old, not 4
Really you do surprise me, only bought it as a 8 pack pack 4 years ago, maybe i should have done a bit more research, but its a good system and runs anything that's thrown at it, will be looking in buying a separate module to go on the motherboard if it will take it. ( asus maximus viii hero intel socket 1151]

Associate
I’ll likely upgrade to 11 on release for my personal PC, the company laptop I’ll keep on 10 until I’ve got a good feel for 11. I’ll undoubtedly have the beta releases loaded up in VMWare to play around with and see how it behaves in a business environment.

From what I’ve seen so far I like the look of 11, the soft pastal colours and rounded edges look pretty good to me. I'm not sure about the new Start menu, that I think I will need to use and see how it feels not that it should be a problem I don't spend a lot of time staring at the menu screens. I can see why a lot of people are unhappy about Microsoft's move to requring a TPM module (soon to be replaced by Pluton it seems) but personally I think this is a good thing, anything that protects the OS and my data I'm okay with and for businesses and flexible working stuff like this is going to start becoming more and more of a requirement.

Soldato
All the computers in this house are still running 3rd or 4th generation intel chips so I don't think they have a TPM (whatever that is). They are only for light use now (web browsing, work etc) as gave up on pc gaming due to the cost so I won't be changing them just to use W11.

Associate
Hopefully I've cracked it ordered a TPM module and see if that works. looks like they are in short supply with price increasing.

Back
Top Bottom