Another Spec Me Thread

Soldato
In my defense this is my first spec me thread :p

My wife is looking to replace her 2014 Ford Focus Titanium X Sport with a budget in the region of 17K. The requirements are:

Newer than 2014.
Diesel - we're covering around 1800 miles per month and looking for 50+ MPG
Manual gearbox.
Just as many toys (heated seats / cameras etc) as the Focus

We are looking at reliability as the main contributing factor and we're aware with a budget such as this there's quite a substantial range to choose from however narrowing it down is proving problematic hence this thread . . . .

Associate
"In Spec" suggestion is a Honda Civic. They are well optioned, great value and very reliable. You can get one below your budget easily.

Just looking at autotrader:
Honda Civic 2018 1.6 EX Diesel Manual - £14,500 (28k on the clock)
61mpg combined
From a main dealer
Spec includes sunroof, android auto, apple car play, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning, reverse camera, traffic sign recognition, 11 speaker audio system, parking sensors, heated seats etc...

"Alternative Suggestion" is an E92 M3 would be a safe place for your money.
You could pick up an Manual Coupe for that money, and it should hold it's value well, so you might pay a little more in fuel and repairs, but you will save on depreciation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know you stated you will be doing 1800 miles per month, but an E92 M3 would be a safe place for your money.

You could pick up an Manual Coupe for that money, and it should hold it's value well, so you might pay a little more in fuel and repairs, but you will save on depreciation.

This is a very special response to the query posed :p

E92 M3 "a little more in fuel and maintenance".....than a diesel Focus equivalent, brilliant

Man of Honour
My wife is looking to replace her 2014 Ford Focus Titanium X Sport with a budget in the region of 17K. The requirements are:

Newer than 2014.
Diesel - we're covering around 1800 miles per month and looking for 50+ MPG
Manual gearbox.
Just as many toys (heated seats / cameras etc) as the Focus

We are looking at reliability as the main contributing factor

I know you stated you will be doing 1800 miles per month, but an E92 M3 would be a safe place for your money.

I know I like to make a joke of some of the ridiculous suggestions we get in here but this has to be an all time great.

Guy wants to replace his wifes Focus, wants something diesel, reliable and with a high level of modern spec to cover significantly high mileage in.

Somebody actually suggests a 13 year old M3.

Soldato
Why ruin the guys thread from the first reply by sending the thread off topic with a deliberately stupid suggestion?

Associate
Why ruin the guys thread from the first reply by sending the thread off topic with a deliberately stupid suggestion?
Not my intention, amended my post to keep the thread on topic. Sometimes people are not aware of "alternatives" that may seem way out of spec, but could actually be viable.
Either way post updated with an in spec suggestion.

Soldato
Get a mapped 335d and it’ll be faster than an M3 anyway. And also fit the diesel brief…

Serious suggestion would be another Focus. I really like the new shape and found it excellent to drive when we hired one a couple of years ago. Not sure about engine options though.

Man of Honour
Anyway to head back on topic, I'd be looking at something that combines efficiency with comfort for this sort of usage - a Skoda Superb in a reasonable spec will have the tech you need as well as the efficiency. If thats too big, the Octavia is a good alternative.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My aunt and uncle just replaced their Mk 6 Golf Estate with a Skoda Scala (whatever that is) and they seem pretty happy with it!

Soldato
OP
Many thanks for all the replies so far guys :)

Obvious Trolls are obvious . . . . :cry:

Back in the day we did look at BMW M3's as we both liked them. However that was almost 20 years ago and circumstances have changed since then.

We had been looking at the Audi A3 / A4 and the BMW 4 Series but are unsure of the reliability or any known faults with these vehicles. Another Focus is a good shout and I believe the newer ST comes in a diesel variant.

Thank you [TW]Fox as we hadn't considered offerings from Skoda - we will look into these as well. :)

Soldato
OP
Not my intention, amended my post to keep the thread on topic. Sometimes people are not aware of "alternatives" that may seem way out of spec, but could actually be viable.
Either way post updated with an in spec suggestion.

Thank you for the updated edit :D

Also have a look at:
Volvo V40 D4
Golf 2.0 TDi
E-Class Coupe 220D

Thank you also for the alternative suggestions though I'm thinking a Mercedes within our budget would be a slightly older model with higher mileage. Given the mileage my wife is doing per month I'm guessing this wouldn't be an option.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom