Looking for a, not too difficult, online racing game

Associate
Hi,
I really enjoy racing games. I am terrible at them though. Still fun all the same.

I play with a gamepad and dare I say, use D pad for steering, A button to accelerate and X button to brake. (Don't laugh:). I know that's not a popular way to drive but, It's what I first started doing when Gran Turismo first came out. You can probably tell from that I don't take it too seriously.
Currently enjoying Automobilista and Project cars.

Been racing against AI cars and chasing ghost cars for a while.

I'm now looking for something with a bit more involvement. It would be nice to race against some online players for a change.

Trouble is, my skills are at a low level. I am concerned that I'd be a pain in the neck to more experienced or serious players. If I were even able to keep up with them at all, I'd be highly likely to bump in to them and cause mayhem. I don't want to ruin a race for anyone who takes it more seriously.
Casual players like myself might accept that these things happen.

Can anyone suggest an online racing game for beginners or old farts, like myself, who enjoy some casual racing fun?
Preferably, but not restricted to, VR.

Associate
OP
Need for speed underground 2 or grid.

Good call. I've just given Grid a whirl after you suggested it. It was fun. It came up with "looking for matches" prior to the race. I assume then that this game pitches similar skill levels against each other?

Do most online racing games do that or maybe you you have to select some option or other to match competitors?
Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new to this online playing.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Forza Horizon 4 plenty of fun to be had with that game racing and exploring. It's arcade not a sim racer too.

Associate
OP
Thanks folks.
Wreckfest. Hmm. maybe give it a look but prefer track racing.

Forza Horizon 4 . I have that one. It's often saying "joining session" then that message disappears and I'm left where I started and wondering if I'm supposed to be waiting for something to happen. Then nothing does. I don't think it is my settings as I've managed a couple of online races before now.

Sonic :) i'm sure it'd be fun but not quite the track racing I had in mind.

Are ther any VR beginner friendly online games out there?

Soldato
Though not massively populated, Automobilista 2 has some simple online races. Because of the multiclass and it not being about the fastest cars, you often get great Mini and hot hatch races.

There's always good ole AC too, whatever the level you're at, you won't be the worst on a regular GT server.

Associate
Wreckfest is brilliant, I tend to race clean, although, its not quite the point of the game but its great fun and adds another dimension; avoiding the chaos - its virtually impossible, but its good fun trying! The physics are really cool.

Race Room Experience is another good sim, just like Automobilista, very good and you can try it for free. It can be expensive as you have to pay for additional cars/tracks, whereas AMS 1&2 you get loads of content!

Google decent Pad settings for RRE and AMS - it transforms the games.

Associate
OP
Automobilista2 minis. Yes. I'm currently having some off line fun with that in a 1965 mini Cooper. I'll take a closer look for those mini Cooper races.

2 votes for Wreckfest. Hmm. Trying to race clean amidst carnage sounds interesting. Will give it a go tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the ideas, all

Soldato
If you like a bit of bash and smash racing > Wreckfest

Fun game single player, fairly toxic online and p2w.

Many of the servers will kick or ban you if they think you purposely shunted another player, and should you do that accidently or otherwise... You will hear about it for the rest of the race. Anti-wreckfest.

Back
Top Bottom