E10 Petrol: Anyone concerned?

Soldato
E100 is lethal lol

I think they used to use it in the US for racing. But as it burns with no visible smoke or flames there were a few accidents :p (people on fire who didn't know they were on fire).

Actually I think was E95 because 5% was water and it was about 110 RON

It is Methanol that doesn't have visible flames and it is very toxic while Ethanol has a blue flame and is the same alcohol you have on alcoholic beverages so nowhere near as toxic

Last edited:
Soldato
I will continue to just put Super E5 in my cars and Corvette owners club say that ESSO Super is 0 ethanol not sure if true however.

I am pretty sure this is true. There's a well known issue with the GT86, the high pressure fuel pump makes a chirping noise when warm (crickets). It's not harmful, but a little annoying, and is apparently caused by the presence of ethanol. I used to fill up almost exclusively with V-Power or Tesco Momentum and the noise was clearly audible, but found that the noise disappeared when using Esso fuel, which reportedly contains none.

Now that the Esso premium fuel is on par with V-Power and Tesco Momemtum, and there's a station near my home, I have now switched to using it almost exclusively and the fuel pump is now silent.

Soldato
My GT86 made a cricket sound to start with, I had the fuel pump replaced with a revised model and it never came back.

Anyway, I thought Esso was only E0 in certain areas, which are all down south?

Associate
I'm still trying to work out the benefit of the switch.

More E in the fuel means less non-renewable petrol burned per mile but your car then does less MPG.

Ethanol still involves burning something which will produce carbon and other particulates.

The ethanol is derived from plants used for food.

Can anyone clear that up for me?

Soldato
I'm still trying to work out the benefit of the switch.

More E in the fuel means less non-renewable petrol burned per mile but your car then does less MPG.

Ethanol still involves burning something which will produce carbon and other particulates.

The ethanol is derived from plants used for food.

Can anyone clear that up for me?

There doesn't seem to be a real benefit, but the highly competent politicians have decided.

No less pollution, lower MPG, maybe more engine issues. But we also need growing land to make it. Notice how fuel companies aren't opposing it, it will mean they sell more petrol. Many more people will start using premium to avoid problems, so more profit there too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There doesn't seem to be a real benefit, but the highly competent politicians have decided.

No less pollution, lower MPG, maybe more engine issues. But we also need growing land to make it. Notice how fuel companies aren't opposing it, it will mean they sell more petrol. Many more people will start using premium to avoid problems, so more profit there too.

Less pollution by carbon offsetting due to ethanols production, 2% less MPG vs current E5. Ethanol doesn't cause issues with engines, it's widely used as a fuel in far greater quantities across the rest of the world

Soldato
Less pollution by carbon offsetting due to ethanols production, 2% less MPG vs current E5. Ethanol doesn't cause issues with engines, it's widely used as a fuel in far greater quantities across the rest of the world

"Carbon offsetting" is the biggest spin ever.

Man of Honour
You’ll probably find your local garage has been selling E10 for ages and you just haven’t realised

You won't and EN228 mandates fuel sold in the UK can currently contain a maximum of 5%
"Carbon offsetting" is the biggest spin ever.

No it isn't, the process growing crops for Ethanol production actively recycles CO2, it's also renewable and likely has lower carbon cost overall to produce than petrol

Associate
You won't and EN228 mandates fuel sold in the UK can currently contain a maximum of 5%

No it isn't, the process growing crops for Ethanol production actively recycles CO2, it's also renewable and likely has lower carbon cost overall to produce than petrol
i noticed the pumps in the local sainsburys had e10 marked on the handsets.

Soldato

But needs land which would normally be used for food to produce it. So then more food needs to be shipped in from elsewhere.

Underboss
just had an email from Shell today about this

who will switch to Super Unleaded because of this ?

i think Shell are falsely advertising their V-power

5x4k3vN6g5hgMZsv-4SzaKxHzxqND5BzXxr4k28_jXdAUZAzg7zRS9qRgR6spdtCQvUC8JcuSrMJMS3W9wIIHgQugq53OUO125db26oFBvWYH9sr_yWhnzPUl9ExU5MhsGY=s0-d-e1-ft
GIVE OUR BEST CLEAN
for your engine*
5x4k3vN6g5hgMZsv-4SzaKxHzxqND5BzXxr4k28_jXdAUZAzg7zRS9qRgR6spdtCQvUC8JcuSrMJMS3W9wIIHgQugq53OUO125db26oFBvWYH9sr_yWhnzPUl9ExU5MhsGY=s0-d-e1-ft
PROVIDE OUR VERY BEST PERFORMANCE,
with up to 4% more power**
REDUCE
engine friction***

so people are going to think "ill stick V-power in instead then" but the ECU wont go "wow high performance fuel, i can go faster" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom