bored with gaming-anyone else feeling the same?

Associate
Finished playing Doom external then dirt 5. looked around for another game and could not find anything else that I fancied playing. Not switched the console on for months.

There is nothing on the market I fancy playing. Anyone else feeling the same?

Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTSx70f7IA&list=FLn7t69S4bE6Dn5j3fqUWhXA

/\ This one is amazing, first review of Mario Kart on Bad Influence, Girls know their games, the boys weren't as impressed!

I've been feeling similar for a while, which is why last night I was watching a few episode's of the above to try and relight the flame that got me running home to watch Bad Influence! The above is maybe a bit old for you but it was the golden-era in the UK for gaming, such an amazing time with innovation around every corner, it was impossible to get bored, I think everything feels a bit samey today, I really miss watching games really evolve in terms of mechanics and graphics.

I have to push myself to get into games today, I may get back into some good old retro gaming, grab the old Spectrum out of the loft and load up Treasure Island Dizzy!! Those were the days!

Soldato
You play games for so many years, most so called AAA titles just get plain boring and repetitive - the results of corporate monoliths churning out dross to pay shareholders. Explore the indie games world. Not all indie games are perfect but I find they’re fun and usually original too. Steam is great for such games. See what’s available for under a fiver and you’ll see a lot of gems…

You play games for so many years, most so called AAA titles just get plain boring and repetitive - the results of corporate monoliths churning out dross to pay shareholders. Explore the indie games world. Not all indie games are perfect but I find they’re fun and usually original too. Steam is great for such games. See what’s available for under a fiver and you’ll see a lot of gems…

/\

This is a good place to start, I bought Hollow Knight a while back on sale for about £5, I was absolutely stunned how good the game was, it beat any AAA game I had played in years, I guess that's why I'm looking back at retro games recently because it goes back to basics, simple gameplay mechanics and fun, I guess today Indy games are the modern way to access that, or emulators provided you do it legally.

I still play the original Tetris on my OG modded Gameboy!

wkQAPIn.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
That’s what violet berlin says in the first video, when they talk about cartridges vs games, most people had a chipped ps1 back in the day and £5 games on data discs, pcs with disc burners etc for those inclined.

That’s what violet berlin says in the first video, when they talk about cartridges vs games, most people handed a chipped ps1 back in the day and £5 games on data discs, pcs with disc burners etc for those inclined.

I didn't notice that! Jesus, I think she distracted me, had a big crush on her when I was a kid :o

edit -

The latest issue of Retro Gamer has a six-page interview with Violet Berlin

https://twitter.com/LewisPackwood/status/1403351199991148546

Good magazine, (I'm not affiliated with it), offer here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah. Ori and the Blind Forest + Ori and the Will O The Wisps are excellent indie platformers.

Soldato

+1

Seems the games produced are for meeting sales targets rather than a great game. AAA titles are now here to sell you the game not give you a great title like back on PS2/GameCube/Xbox era.

Man of Honour
We're in a new golden age of gaming. With Game Pass I have access to so many genres/series that I wouldn't have touched before, such as the Yakuza series and narrative driven story games (Life is Strange/What Remains of Edith Finch/Tell me Why), and as all my friends have the same games we have had some amazing coop experiences with Remnant, Borderlands, Deep Rock Galactic, and more, that I would have never convinced them to all purchase before Game Pass.

Get Game Pass, it's a game changer. In fact I'm off to play Yakuza Like a Dragon, one of the 7 doom games, or maybe one the many Metroidvanias on Game Pass now.

V F

V F

Soldato

I would agree to that for all the Battle Royale garbage. All clones.

Caporegime
This echos my thoughts. Some of the best games I've played over the last decade have been the smaller titles free with PS Plus and Xbox Live.

We're in a new golden age of gaming. With Game Pass I have access to so many genres/series that I wouldn't have touched before, such as the Yakuza series and narrative driven story games (Life is Strange/What Remains of Edith Finch/Tell me Why), and as all my friends have the same games we have had some amazing coop experiences with Remnant, Borderlands, Deep Rock Galactic, and more, that I would have never convinced them to all purchase before Game Pass.

Get Game Pass, it's a game changer. In fact I'm off to play Yakuza Like a Dragon, one of the 7 doom games, or maybe one the many Metroidvanias on Game Pass now.

I had Game Pass since day one, sometimes when your given the keys to the whole sweetshop it doesn't help you fall in love with sweets again, I remember just having 20p to grab penny and half penny sweets, that's when I enjoyed them most, I think that's part of the problem today, we are oversaturated with games and choices, it's hard to find that diamond in amongst the sea of cubic zirconia's out there!

Man of Honour
I had Game Pass since day one, sometimes when your given the keys to the whole sweetshop it doesn't help you fall in love with sweets again, I remember just having 20p to grab penny and half penny sweets, that's when I enjoyed them most, I think that's part of the problem today, we are oversaturated with games and choices, it's hard to find that diamond in amongst the sea of cubic zirconia's out there!

I get your point about having difficulty choosing which game to play, but this opens you up to new experiences, which was the issue for a couple of posters with games these days.

I use this to help choose which Game Pass game to play: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/edit#gid=0

I like that, I think help choosing the right game is what we need, in the old days you just bought a gaming mag, or listen to your mates, I look at my Netflix library and I'm overwhelmed, I tend to only watch what my friends recommend.

I used to watch Quick Looks on Giant Bomb, that helped but they have pretty much disbanded now, although now and again I do find that gem like Hollow Knight, it's still very few and far between.

I can understand your viewpoint in terms of it being a 'golden age' today, for many I believe that is the case, I just don't feel it myself, I'm probably stuck in the past, I need a gaming sheepdog to guide me to the next experience, perhaps that could be a good name for a YouTube channel lol.

Man of Honour
I like that, I think help choosing the right game is what we need, in the old days you just bought a gaming mag, or listen to your mates, I look at my Netflix library and I'm overwhelmed, I tend to only watch what my friends recommend.

I used to watch Quick Looks on Giant Bomb, that helped but they have pretty much disbanded now, although now and again I do find that gem like Hollow Knight, it's still very few and far between.

I can understand your viewpoint in terms of it being a 'golden age' today, for many I believe that is the case, I just don't feel it myself, I'm probably stuck in the past, I need a gaming sheepdog to guide me to the next experience, perhaps that could be a good name for a YouTube channel lol.

Then let me suggest Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight (not on Game Pass), and A Plague Tale if your after a great game.

Soldato
I have Game Pass but I wouldn't touch 90% of the games on there. There are very few last gen games I'd want to go back and play and there isn't half some rubbish on Game Pass anyway. It's the future though and really like the concept of it however I'm not getting the benefit really.

Backwards compatibility is a funny thing, I like playing old snes and some mega drive games but after that I wouldn't touch most retro games. I think perhaps moving into 3D gaming worlds with low polygon counts with sometimes awful controls stops me.

Back
Top Bottom