Good guy with a gun

Soldato
Whoopsie

Johnny Hurley, who killed a man who described police as "expendable", was shot dead himself by a responding officer.

https://news.sky.com/story/hero-who-gunned-down-cop-killer-shot-dead-himself-by-police-12342413

In a video statement, head of police Link Strate said Mr Hurley was a "hero" who had saved lives.

He did not offer an apology, however, describing Mr Hurley's death as "equally tragic" to Gordon Beesley's.

Mr State said: "The threat to our officers and our community was stopped by a hero named Johnny Hurley.

Soldato
When another officer arrived, Mr Hurley was holding Troyke's AR-15 and the responder opened fire, killing him, the local force said.
You need to be smart when handling firearms around police, picking up the perpetrators rifle was a big mistake.

Soldato
You need to be smart when handling firearms around police, picking up the perpetrators rifle was a big mistake.

Jesus christ yes.

Even if you are stupid enough to try and be a hero, as soon as you've shot the guy surely disarm your weapon, break it down sling it away from you and get on the ******* floor with your hands behind your head and pray.

Man of Honour
See what that marine/security guy did with the ARs stolen from police vehicles in Seattle - immediately removed the magazine, made them unable to fire and slung them over his shoulder - though still might have got shot by a trigger happy cop responding.

Responding police though should be able to appraise whether someone holding a gun is a threat unless the person is extremely stupid in how they behave - reminds me of the incident a few weeks back in Woodlawn - couple of the cops were reading the situation, in control, etc. but several of the others who turned up were just slinging lead roughly where they thought the threat was until someone told them to stop. With some of the recent situations like the one where a guy tried to "John Wick" and managed to shoot 2 of the 4 cops around him I can understand them being pretty jumpy right now.

Soldato
Responding police though should be able to appraise whether someone holding a gun is a threat
Given that their fellow police officer was laying dead on the ground, I think it is understandable that they didn't second guess. If they hesitated they could have been next, so they fired.

I thought good guy with a gun was USA main defence mechanism for shootings.
Well the perpetrator was killed, but the "good guy with a gun" concept doesn't mean continuing to brandish a firearm as police swarm in after one of theirs has just been shot.

Caporegime
Harsh man, as others have said hindsight and all that should have been on the floor and unarmed himself with witnesses or something :(

Who knows, maybe he was disarming the AR when the police arrived

Soldato
Why didn't the responding officer try to engage verbally with Johnny Hurley? I think we can guess the guy wasn't pointing the weapon at the officer who shot him.

It seems this officer turned up to the scene literally all guns blazing.

The police should be bending over backwards for this guys family and give him a proper send off.

This is what I don't like about the American police, while I understand the stakes are a lot higher when guns are involved, when mistakes are made they don't take full responsibility for it. The officer in question should have some form of punishment. He shot an innocent man due to his attitude. I can see how an understandable case can be made in defense of the cop. But at the end of the day he shot an innocent man! Even if he didnt realise it at the time I'd feel pretty crappy if that was me. Shooting an innocent man who had defended your cop brother.

Back
Top Bottom