*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
W11 at final release will require Internet to install and file verification will take place. You will be unable to bypass the system requirement checks.

That will have to be disabled for enterprise and defence sector licenses, so some clever spark will adapt it for general use.

Soldato

I'm speaking from experience here. Secure networks - at least in the UK - are just that, secure. There is no connection between them and the internet. It was a right palaver when I was involved. All data transfers had to be documented and you couldn't transfer a PC from one side to the other.

Soldato
How does one apply this at installation time? We need to rebuild the packages?

I vaguely remember you can do this with windows. But I haven't done any Windows admin for about 5 years now.
Copy the reg file to the root (ie: to D:\, not D:\Sources) of your USB stick with the installation files, then boot up from it.

Continue through setup as far as you can until you see the message about not being able to install Window 11. At this message, press Shift + F10, navigate to the drive with the Windows 11 files on it.

Now find the drive your setup files and reg file is on, which is usually D:, but might be different if you have extra drives installed. Do this by typing D: and press Enter. List the files on the drive by typing DIR then pressing enter and look for the BypassTPMCheck&SecureBoot.reg file (or whatever you called it). If you don't see the file, try another drive (start with C: onwards) until you do.

With the file now found, just type in the full name of it then press Enter. Press Yes when asked if you want to merge the file, then press Okay.

This is where things might get confusing. Dismiss the message about setup not being to install Windows 11 by clicking the X on the top right of the window and confirm closure of that window. You'll return to the language selection window, which is where you were before. Now continue through setup again and hopefully that message shouldn't come up. If it does, it's probably because you have a legacy BIOS and not a UEFI BIOS like one of my older laptops.

Soldato
Thinking about this "TPM" requirement for Windows 11.

I recently (6 months) built a new PC from "parts". I have a MSI 550 tomahawk motherboard. CPU - Ryzen 5, AMD 3600. I have looked in the BIOS and there is a section on security then is not enabled. It mentions AMD TPM.

If I enable this when Windows 11 becomes available will this then meet the "TPM" requirements - or is there more to it?

I don't want to fiddle with it now in case it messes up my win 10 install. Any advice / thoughts please? Thanks, Mel

Soldato
@Mel_P There is more to being Windows 11 ready than just TPM. But you can run tpm.msc to see your current TPM status. You can turn on fTPM in the BIOS and see that change your current TPM status.
TPM may not work properly until you install the latest Intel ME/MEI from your motherboard manufacturer's website.
Not really any point dealing with it now though, Microsoft is meant to be making a blog post soon to clarify things, and it would be crazy if they didn't u-turn on some of the requirements.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Mel_P There is more to being Windows 11 ready than just TPM.

I have run "WhyNotWin11" and this says that I meet all of the requirements apart from TPM - so I guess when the time comes (and having made a spare "disc image" or 2 to make sure that I can go back), I should be able to try win 11 - I am not sure if my old (standalone) versions of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom will run on Windows 11 Or Office 2010 / or 2013.

No doubt problems ahead!

Soldato
Copy the reg file to the root (ie: to D:\, not D:\Sources) of your USB stick with the installation files, then boot up from it.

Continue through setup as far as you can until you see the message about not being able to install Window 11. At this message, press Shift + F10, navigate to the drive with the Windows 11 files on it.

Now find the drive your setup files and reg file is on, which is usually D:, but might be different if you have extra drives installed. Do this by typing D: and press Enter. List the files on the drive by typing DIR then pressing enter and look for the BypassTPMCheck&SecureBoot.reg file (or whatever you called it). If you don't see the file, try another drive (start with C: onwards) until you do.

With the file now found, just type in the full name of it then press Enter. Press Yes when asked if you want to merge the file, then press Okay.

This is where things might get confusing. Dismiss the message about setup not being to install Windows 11 by clicking the X on the top right of the window and confirm closure of that window. You'll return to the language selection window, which is where you were before. Now continue through setup again and hopefully that message shouldn't come up. If it does, it's probably because you have a legacy BIOS and not a UEFI BIOS like one of my older laptops.

Thanks. I might give this ago when it's released on my older machine (3570k. Assuming MS haven't locked out installs on PC's that don't meet the minimum CPU requirement)

Does pose a question though. What future issues will it cause running Windows 11 without a TPM chip even if one has no plans to use any TPM features like bit-locker etc.

It might actually be hardwired in the OS to use the TPM for certain functions which could cause issues in the future during the operation of the PC if you manage to get round the TPM check during install.

It must be a requirement for a reason.

Associate
Everything good on my laptop, except the (7th Gen) CPU.

MoITw9U.png

Queued up on Insider to get Win11 in dev channel, wondering if the CPU requirements may relax following a few months of Insider testing, but planning a massive rationalisation of my computer kit and upgrading my 4 year old laptop towards the end of the year, anyway.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why will it? They might make it mandatory like Chromebook logins.

If this is correct then you will no longer be anonymous on the net as your ID will tie you in with your history, logins, ip address e.t.c.

Fun and games.

If that works out for the better, so be it. Imagine no anonymity on the web anymore tied to ID on their computers/devices of the future, therefor a huge degree of toxic vulgar trash getting exposed for who they really are and eventually ending because of consequences.

Permabanned
OP
If that works out for the better, so be it. Imagine no anonymity on the web anymore tied to ID on their computers/devices of the future, therefor a huge degree of toxic vulgar trash getting exposed for who they really are and eventually ending because of consequences.

Then there won't be a need for VPNs any more unless it's for work purposes. That would be great in my eyes if everything could be tied to a person in real life but that ain't going to happen there would be absolute hell on.

Back
Top Bottom