Mens clothing.... what are you wearing?

Soldato
Being of a certain age I hate clothes shopping. As such I'm increasingly seeing the benefits of having a smaller wardrobe of a few really good quality items that can be mixed and matched rather than loads of fast fashion that gets chucked every few months.

Currently have been buying the quality end of John Lewis but have been wondering what the next step up would be if I wanted to source a made in the UK brand of quality small batch clothing. Am not looking for ultra expensive handmade fashion brands or anything with a 'look at me' logo.

Luca Faloni is the sort of thing but is Italian. Sunspel maybe comes to mind.
Anyone else?
Thanx

Your name says FatBOY yet you sound like a woman.

Soldato
Usually polo shirts and chinos from the likes of Burton and ASDA online, with a bit of Amazon and eBay in the mix. I haven't been to a physical clothes shop in years. I also wear stuff until they are falling to bits, none of this fast fashion nonsense.

Soldato
Paul Smith / Barbour for jackets
Paul Smith / Far Afield / Rapanui for tops
Wrangler / Edwin for jeans
Spoke for chinos
Paul Smith / Far Afield / Edwin for shorts
Adidas for trainers
Paul Smith / Emporio Armani for pants
DKNY / Pringle / Lyle & Scott for socks

Got a few other brands mixed in. Miss proper Duffer and 55DSL for clothing, both gone. :(

Soldato
Paul Smith / Barbour for jackets
Paul Smith / Far Afield / Rapanui for tops
Wrangler / Edwin for jeans
Spoke for chinos
Paul Smith / Far Afield / Edwin for shorts
Adidas for trainers
Paul Smith / Emporio Armani for pants
DKNY / Pringle / Lyle & Scott for socks

Got a few other brands mixed in. Miss proper Duffer and 55DSL for clothing, both gone. :(
Ah Lyle and Scott are fairly underrated for cheap hoodies too. The logo is an aspirational Stone Island but there we go. Vilebrequin for swim shorts!

Man of Honour
Wardrobe mostly consists of Nike Tech, Crooks & Castles and plain colour t shirts from all over. As well as plenty of trackie bottoms.

I don't wear button down shirts, jeans etc. Not my style. I have sensitive skin so trackie bottoms etc are very comfy.

Pardon me if I came across as a sartorial disaster in my post, # 33, but I favour button down shirts as I have reading glasses hanging from a cord around my neck, and the cord catches on a collar that isn’t buttoned down when I raise them up.
No doubt another no-no, I always have a breast pocket on my shirts, not for my phone, that would spoil the line of the shirt, it’s a hangover from my Black Cab days, that pocket was where the fivers, tenners, etc. went.

Permabanned
quick question why bother with named items ? most are out of the same factory's as the cheaper items .. and yes you pay for the name/badge ?
i know this from yrs ago making sweets ..yes i know but same difference we made for 20 different places ..ok the e's made be different but the basic's were the same ?

Associate
quick question why bother with named items ? most are out of the same factory's as the cheaper items .. and yes you pay for the name/badge ?
i know this from yrs ago making sweets ..yes i know but same difference we made for 20 different places ..ok the e's made be different but the basic's were the same ?

To take your food factory example, yes the products can be made at the same factory, but the ingredients can be hugely different ultimately deciding whether they are classed as a more premium product or not.

Back to clothes, I have many now that don't even have a label, you can just feel the quality of how well made, fit and how nice they feel to throw on.

Last edited:
Don
I wear quite a bit of Ted Baker now a days, polos, shorts and coats.

Mostly it's otherwise just Next, Adidas, Ben Sherman stuff with a smattering of other brands if it's a particular item I like.

Associate
I mostly just go in tkmaxx and buy some bargains that I like the look of. Usually wrangler, timberland, penguin or a sportswear brand. Clarkes shoes and I prefer nike trainers.

Soldato
There is a difference between "named" items and "items where their name is synonymous with quality".

A TM Lewin shirt for example is orders of magnitude better quality than a Next shirt, and often they can be had at similar prices.

A lesson I learned on a Debenhams Linea quilted jacket was that it lasted 5 minutes versus my Barbour quilted jacket that is now 5 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom