BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Having really slow download/uploads speeds at the mo yet no fault recognised in my area.

Do routers last eons or should you buy a new one every few years or so?

Soldato
Having really slow download/uploads speeds at the mo yet no fault recognised in my area.

Do routers last eons or should you buy a new one every few years or so?
Solid state devices like that really shouldn't ever fail and only need replacing if their batteries or power supplies die or if they are just superseded in terms of features or speed.

Soldato
I think we will need a lot more information to give any advice.

Have you checked your line sync rate?

How are you testing the speeds?

Are you testing wireless or wired? Is there any difference between them?

What device are you testing with?

are you using a vpn or anything that could impact the speed?

Are you sure other devices are not using the bandwidth?

Caporegime
@b0rn2sk8

I'm not sure if I know what 'line sync rate' means... testing with something like speedtest?

I'm testing wired.

VPN is running but only restarted my sub today.

No other devices are being used.

My connection should be around the 80/20 mark but I'm seeing atrocious download speeds of about a 10th of that (or even less).

The upload seldom reaches the advertised rate but even so, I'm still only seeing about a quarter of that.

I've just tested using Speedtest again and it's slightly better though still very poor: dl 7.28; ul 5.24.

I'll test again later and tbh, I've got every confidence that it will right itself in due course, it just perplexes me a tad when BT's line checker didn't reveal anything.

-----

It's a shame Hyperoptic isn't available in my area, I'd love even a small slice of their advertised speeds!

-----

Hopefully getting back to normal now as it seems to be improving, fingers crossed: dl 10.96; ul 6.17.

Last edited:
Soldato
@b0rn2sk8

I'm not sure if I know what 'line sync rate' means... testing with something like speedtest?

I'm testing wired.

VPN is running but only restarted my sub today.

No other devices are being used.

My connection should be around the 80/20 mark but I'm seeing atrocious download speeds of about a 10th of that (or even less).

The upload seldom reaches the advertised rate but even so, I'm still only seeing about a quarter of that.

I've just tested using Speedtest again and it's slightly better though still very poor: dl 7.28 ul 5.24.

I'll test again later and tbh, I've got every confidence that it will right itself in due course, it just perplexes me a tad when BT's line checker didn't reveal anything.

-----

It's a shame Hyperoptic isn't available in my area, I'd love even a small slice of their advertised speeds!

You'll need to switch off the VPN when you are speed testing, their servers can significantly impact your connection speeds.

The line sync speed will be somewhere in your routers pages, this is how fast your router is connected to the outside world. If isn't it's normal speed then there is likely a fault on your line. If it is its normal speed then the issue is either on your network or somewhere upstream with your ISP.

Soldato
Is that the downstream/upstream numbers in the hub manager?

Downstream: 13.09 Mbps

Upstream: 7.2 Mbps
You say you should be getting 80/20, is that based on your guaranteed minimum download speed, or just the speed of FTTC? As 80/20 is the max speed capable on normal FTTC, you'd need to be able to see the green cab from your house to get that speed. Your broadband estimated speed would have been more specific than "up to 80/20" which is probably what it said.

You're getting the right speed in your house based on that sync rate, so either there's a fault on your line if your sync rate should be higher, or you're misunderstanding the speed you were quoted when taking out the contract.

Caporegime
I tested the speed once again on the BT site and whereas before it read that our speed was slower than usual,
this time it said that it was normal - yet the numbers were barely any better than mentioned earlier.

I called up BT and have arranged for an engineer to visit.
The chap on the phone confirmed that we are on an 80/20 package and that we should indeed see a minimum of 74 MBS downloads,
which sounds spot on. He suggested that the exchange might have a cap in place or that the age of the router might be the cause (Hub 5).

Last edited:
Soldato
I tested the speed once again on the BT site and whereas before it read that our speed was slower than usual,
this time it said that it was normal - yet the numbers were barely any better than mentioned earlier.

I called up BT and have arranged for an engineer to visit.
The chap on the phone confirmed that we are on an 80/20 package and that we should indeed see a minimum of 74 MBS downloads,
which sounds spot on. He suggested that the exchange might have a cap in place or that the age of the router might be the cause (Hub 5).
Ok, go to here and put your postcode in, house number etc and let us know what the results say - https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/deals/

You'll see a download speed range, and upload speed range and a stay fast guarantee.

I'm guessing you spoke to level 1 support as those answers: that the exchange might have a cap in place or that the age of the router might be the cause (Hub 5). are laughable. NO, the exchange won't have a 'cap'. And no, your router won't be affecting the sync rate of your line.

Secondly, you'll only get a minimum of 74mbps if the copper from your house to the green street cabinet is under 300m - not direct line of sight either, it could go anywhere under or over the ground before going to your cab.

Grab those results from the BT site and that will tell you what you actually should be getting.

Soldato
It's worth seeing what https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL says too. That'll show the most recent sync rate if you search based on telephone number.
That's a very handy link, thanks - new place I'm moving to in 6 weeks looks like this:
image.png

Current house (where we were seeing as bad a 22mbps at times, even after a replaced line from pole to house and a fault at the exchange fixed, which ultimately made me go to 5G):
image.png

Fingers crossed we'll see a solid 50 down at the new place.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, go to here and put your postcode in, house number etc and let us know what the results say - https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/deals/

You'll see a download speed range, and upload speed range and a stay fast guarantee.

I'm guessing you spoke to level 1 support as those answers: that the exchange might have a cap in place or that the age of the router might be the cause (Hub 5). are laughable. NO, the exchange won't have a 'cap'. And no, your router won't be affecting the sync rate of your line.

Secondly, you'll only get a minimum of 74mbps if the copper from your house to the green street cabinet is under 300m - not direct line of sight either, it could go anywhere under or over the ground before going to your cab.

Grab those results from the BT site and that will tell you what you actually should be getting.

I've visited both links. A range of services seems to be available (Essential through to Fibre 250).

Dh2QFP0.png

UmKqi8C.png

Man of Honour
Looks like you have G.Fast available so I'd definitely say you have some kind of line fault. I take it you're plugged into the master socket?

Caporegime
Yes, it's plugged into the master.

I went out earlier to pick up some printer ink and the chap I spoke to was also having issues with his BT speeds (worse than mine), so I don't know what's going on.

A fault/line check is saying everything's okay but it clearly isn't.

CyAHtm0.png

Last edited:
Soldato
If you pick up the phone and dial 17070 then do a quiet line test, is there any crackling? If you use the phone to make a call (how quaint!) what's the call quality like?

If you have ANY problems with the voice portion of the line then raise a voice fault.

Back
Top Bottom