New MB and RAM for 5900x

Associate
Hi,

I just need some motivation/advice for my choices.
First of all i give some information regarding the build:
- it will be used for Gaming, OC, Video Editing, Streaming and other daily programs
- i got the 5900x, rtx 3070 ( will be changed to 3080/ti)

Motherboard choices (budget 200-250 pounds + if worth it)
1. X570 GB Aorus Master
2. X570 MSI Tomahawk
3. X570 GB Aours Ultra

Ram (budget around 200 pounds)
1. GSkill 32GB (2x16) 3600 CL16
2. Crucial Ballistix 32gb (2x16) 3600 CL16

Thanks for your advice.

Soldato
First of all forget any manual overclocking.
You can't push all core clocks high enough with 12 cores to approach automatic boost clocks to keep gaming performance.
(good cooling is only thing needed)

And if you don't need Wifi, £200 X570 Aorus Elite will do fine.
If Wifi is must/needed in future, then X570 Tomahawk.
Actually if not needing anything fancy in expandability could drop to B550 board saving up to £50 or more.

Instead of very expensive board you should be looking for fast dual rank memory for the best performance.
(command interleaving of dual rank lowers overall latency)
Though with other DDD4 chips than Samsung B-die moving to 16 Gbit capacity dual rank 16GB DIMMs cost lot.
Only kits like 3200MHz CL14 and 3600MHz 16-16-16 are guaranteed to use B-die.

Another option would be 4x8GB kit, which always gives two ranks by having two DIMMs per channel.

Soldato
The B550 Tomahawk is good if you don't need wifi. The B550 Gaming Edge wifi would cover you for that, but it is out of stock right now. Both have solid VRM's so even a 5950X is no problem. Unless you need 2 x Gen 4 M.2 slots then no real need to go X570.

You can get faster ram than the Team Group but 3200MHz CL16 is fine.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £305.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
I might need the wifi antena.
I can get the x570 Aorus Master for a very good price, from the company supplier.
Also another option came up, the Unify. I am trying to compare them but, still thinking to go with the Master.

Also with the ram, is not better to go quad channel? 4*8gb?

Man of Honour
I might need the wifi antena.
I can get the x570 Aorus Master for a very good price, from the company supplier.
Also another option came up, the Unify. I am trying to compare them but, still thinking to go with the Master.

Also with the ram, is not better to go quad channel? 4*8gb?
For your uses and a 5900 which I'd imagine being kept for 5+ years, I'd want to leave it open to get another 32GB.

Soldato
Ok, so as RAM i will stay at the moment on 2*16 gb 3600mhz cl16.

GSkill or Crucial (cheaper)?
gskill at those timings will probably be Samsung B-die while crucial is usually Micron E-die, B-die is slightly better and tightens up a bit more if your into manual overclocking. Generally though they are both good and you would be hard pressed to notice a difference outside of benchmarks.

Soldato
Also another option came up, the Unify...
Unless intending to cram PC full of NVMes there's no need for those very expensive boards.
Anyway any board can take few more into PCIe slots, with respectable ~2GB/s bandwidth available from single PCIe v4 lane.

And because of more sabotage from marketroids Aorus Master actually has worser chipset cooler design than lower Gigabyte models:
Aorus Elite has heatsink farthest away from heat of graphics card.
Aorus Pro moves it couple cm closer to graphics card.
Aorus Ultra adds costricting fan by marketing excrements...​

Soldato
gskill at those timings will probably be Samsung B-die while crucial is usually Micron E-die, B-die is slightly better and tightens up a bit more if your into manual overclocking
Usual "CL16" kits of 16-19-19 timings are as likely to be top binned Hynix chips at their tightest as Samsung B-die.
Only true 16-16-16 kits have guaranteed B-die.

And likely most of B-die in 16-19-19 kits is "less than optimal" chips, which didn't make it to 16-16-16 bin.
(or 3200MHz 14-14-14, whose absolute latency is actually 0,14 ns tighter)

Associate
Unfortunately still undecided with the MB but look like i got the memory.
Is back in stock here the Crucial Ballistcx 32 gb.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-20u-cr.html

Back to MB, more choices came up:
MSI B550 Gaming Edge / MSI B550 Carbon / Asus B550 Gaming-F Wifi / GB B550 Aorus Master / GB B500 Aorus Pro AC

Decisions..decisions

I got the B550 carbon(has couple more usb and 2nd heat sink for m.2 drive compared to gaming edge)...Asus Gaming F doesn't have header for front i/o usb c, you'll have to go for Gaming E for that, but really like board otherwise. Aorus pro was wifi ac, not ax so no wifi 6 if that makes a difference to you. You would have needed Aorus Elite AX V2 but built on 4 layer pcb rather than 6
Never looked at the Aorus Master, as was £60 more than the msi carbon...
saw the Ballistix back in stock;). Been waiting

Associate
Just to add I'd always say never make WiFi the dealbreaker on motherboards, that's just silly..

For less than the extra cost of a WiFi capable board you can get a PCI wifi card which performs far better (especially since you're getting a full ATX so there's no lack of slots or space).

Associate
Just to add I'd always say never make WiFi the dealbreaker on motherboards, that's just silly..

For less than the extra cost of a WiFi capable board you can get a PCI wifi card which performs far better (especially since you're getting a full ATX so there's no lack of slots or space).

True, but the cost between the msi non wifi and wifi board was £15 I think(board prices fluctuate so much from different shops)..hence why I paid up. don't know the price of a cable and pci card, but doubt will be much cheaper, and my spare pci slot still empty, but yes, get your point

Associate
True, but the cost between the msi non wifi and wifi board was £15 I think(board prices fluctuate so much from different shops)..hence why I paid up. don't know the price of a cable and pci card, but doubt will be much cheaper, and my spare pci slot still empty, but yes, get your point

Oh aye for £15 it's worthwile. I've just seen too many cases where WiFi variants are good £50+ more expensive when they offer nothing else.

Enjoy the Carbon, it'll be a great board, looks really nice too

Associate
I saw mentioned fo 3200Mhz RAM?!? With Ryzen 5000 series, pretty sure the benchmarks all show they'll benefit from 3600Mhz RAM, so that is probably worth the extra: Crucial/Corsair/GSkill are all decent brands, but stick to CAS16 (or lower if you can find any!)... the only 3200Mhz that might be faster would be CL14, which is usually stupid-expensive.

As above: decent cooling will allow it to boost more often and higher, which will benefit gaming more than any memory overclock - with 12 cores you'll have TONS of grunt, but it generates more heat, so will struggle to sustain very long, high boosts (like the i7/i9's, but less extreme) - decent cooling will allow that to run at peak (stock) performance for more of the time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As good as the B550 are is it not worth future proofing in case you want those extra PCIE4 lanes in the future ? I am not saying it is but my fear is that you may want them if you are keeping the machine for 4-5 years.

Seems like a good comparison here https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/b550-vs-x570.html

Yes, it will be more like 5+ years.
My pc at the moment is like 7+ with minor upgrades.
Already i have 2 *nvme, one is gen4(samsung 980 pro) and a gen3 sabrent rocket.
I might for the refreshed mobo’s. The x570s series.

Back
Top Bottom