Electric shavers

Soldato
I have one of the thickest beards ever to grace a human being and have been wet shaving for 35 years, tried everything from multi blade Gillette, Derby/feather blades etc, all of them left my face feeling dreadful. I finally took the plunge and bought the above unit last month and have been blown away quite honestly.

Sure, it's not quite as close but it's near enough, no soreness whatsoever, takes 3 mins rather than 20 and doesn't leave my face dry. Wouldn't go back to wet shaving now.

I've been using Panasonic for years and every time this thread cropped up I'd mention Panasonic and nobody appeared to listen. Even the mid-range Panasonic are better than Braun and Philips with the more expensive Panasonics being better, cleaner and more comfortable. I don't even bother with wet shaving.

Soldato
For trimming a beard back to stubble I think they're fine. However if you're using them as an alternative to close shaving i.e. to get clean shaven I think you'll be left wanting with an electric.

Soldato
Isn’t it the case with these that:

Panasonic gives the closest shave but isn’t great with hair that lays flat on your face if you have any (can be missed by the shaver).

Braun is a good compromise between the two

Phillips gives the least close shave but is better if you don’t want to shave daily and will easily deal with 3+ day thick stubble and any hair that grows flat on your face.

Soldato
Isn’t it the case with these that:

Panasonic gives the closest shave but isn’t great with hair that lays flat on your face if you have any (can be missed by the shaver).

Braun is a good compromise between the two

Phillips gives the least close shave but is better if you don’t want to shave daily and will easily deal with 3+ day thick stubble and any hair that grows flat on your face.

Yes Panasonic gives the closest shave and both the Phillips and the Braun are also not good with flat hairs. The Braun is next to useless with flat hairs. Panasonic is the best out of the three regardless.

Soldato
For trimming a beard back to stubble I think they're fine. However if you're using them as an alternative to close shaving i.e. to get clean shaven I think you'll be left wanting with an electric.

Not a chance. Honestly I can get a better close shave with a decent Panasonic than with a blade and have been doing so for years.

Associate
I know absolutely nothing about electric shavers, all i know is that i have very sensitive skin and i am somebody who absolutely can not shave against the grain whatsoever otherwise i will wake up the next day with crazy razor bumps, I have been using a double edge safety razor thing for years which gives a great shave but i have to get my face warm with hot water first to get a close shave that doesn't irritate my skin i have a thick beard also which i think the warm water helps with. This adds extra time to shaving and is pretty annoying. Do you think an electric razor is going to by any use for somebody like me? i don't mind investing money into one but also don't want to end up buying one that doesn't agree with my face that i can't return because I've used it.

Soldato
I have a seriously thick beard and it's fine. It doesn't cut so close that you get ingrown hairs. I used to use a DE razor with Feathers, Truffit and Hill shaving soap, face balm, moisturiser etc and still end up dabbing my face with tend skin or Skin doctor to help with the razor bumps. Not had a single one in a month with the electric razor and stopped putting any kind of cream on my face too.

Soldato
and i am somebody who absolutely can not shave against the grain whatsoever otherwise i will wake up the next day with crazy razor bumps
I think you have to use electric against the grain - definitely the braun wouldn't pick hairs up otherwise.

Shaving everyday is something that seems to have gone out the window in younger sub 30's, yes it takes time
I, alternate uising closer Panasonic linear every 3 days, or so, and faster braun on the others
- using the 3 blade versions, couldn't imagine pushing a brick sized 5 blade around, if you have 'angular' features.

The engineering quality of the panasonic heads (&price) versus braun is apparent when you inspect them, you can see why Pan is a closer shave.

Soldato
I've been electric shaving for years, and had most of the main brands over years.
Bought a Panasonic, and it's been the best I've owned. Highly recommended, and would have another without any second thoughts. They run at such high speed, quiet, and cut so close, unlike any other I've owned.
Brilliant shavers.

Associate
This comes up every year:

I've got the Braun series 9 as suggested above but also own the Panasonic ES-LV65 which thrashes it. In fact, nothing beats it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...21&hvtargid=pla-565384449738&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I took a punt on the Panasonic ES-LV65 after reading some of the comments in this thread, i am somebody who can not shave against the grain, if i do i will end up with ingrown hairs that cause bumps/spots, i also have pretty sensitive skin and have been using a safety razor with feather blades for years now. My issue with the regular razor is that it was fantastic if i shaved every couple of day's or every other day at a push, i would get a nice close shave and skin would feel great, but if i shaved everyday i would start to get irritation.

I had been umming and ahing about trying an electric razor for a while and decided to just take a punt accepting that i may very well be wasting £100+ but i have been pleasantly surprised with this Panasonic ES-LV65, it's giving me a closer shave than a feather blade has given me going with the grain! I can go against the grain with this Panasonic with no irritation! i have a thick and full beard, the only places i feel like i have to be slightly careful not to be rough is around the goatee area for some strange reason, i think my skin is just most sensitive their but this leaves me with no irritation after shaving at all.

There are a couple of spots that i have to go over a few times but i also think the more i get used to it the more efficient it will become, overall its bloody brilliant. I can't use it dry though that would deffo give me irritaion, using it wet its brilliant for me though. Money well spent.

Man of Honour
I'm fairly annoyed at my self for not trying the Panasonic sooner, 35 years of having a sore face and wasting money on needless face cream.

it isn't easy getting your head around spending that much on an electric shaver.
Up until I was 59 I'd bought cheap ones because I couldn't justify that kind of money.
if this LV95 (LV65) broke I'd move heaven and earth to replace it.

Man of Honour
I have been through most of the Braun and Phillips top of the range shavers and even after putting new blades into this one...
RQRqwQw.jpg

I found it not really doing the job anymore and within 4 hours I am back into the land of stubble.

That doesn't happen with wet shaving which gives me a full day and if I use a proper full on safety blade approach day into night.

So this Panasonic seems like worth a punt at the money?

Back
Top Bottom