The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Bah, just been told my seller is unable to move until end of the year due to his new build not being ready, oh well, stamp duty to pay in full now and need to move in with mother for a few months, was expecting to be told it had fallen through though so it could have been worse :)

In a similar position. But I just get the feeling that I am being strung along and getting ripened for a gazumping. Its depressing.

Soldato
Should they really be selling if they're not willing to move into rented? End of the year is practically 6 months... that's crazy.

Associate
When I bought my first house the sellers were waiting for a new build. Hope it goes well for you but our sellers had their build delayed by a few months. Luckily there was only 2 in the chain.

Soldato
Lots (and I mean LOTS) of new builds are being massively delayed at the moment due to cement and tile shortage (among many other things). Most that I've seen are looking at a minimum 2-3 month delay with potential for longer.

I wouldn't be assuming a new build is going to be ready anywhere near on schedule until the structure is built and the roof is already finished.

Soldato
Should they really be selling if they're not willing to move into rented? End of the year is practically 6 months... that's crazy.

It was part of my offer on the property that I wasn't going to pressure them as I had the option of staying at mum's while they got their end sorted, there were three offers made at the same time and the information I had was that they were all at asking price so I did what I could to make mine the most attractive, it's not ideal but so long as it all goes through it's not a big issue for me, they are pushing to exchange asap for security so I don't think I'm being lined up for gazumping, it'll be three months-ish of getting fed home cooked food and little to no outgoings so I'm sure I can cope :D

Soldato
Have had a rather fun experience over the past two weeks. Were obviously aiming for the 30th. W/c the 14th was all going well, thinking we would manage to exchange the following week. On the Friday our sellers who had previously said they didn't have a connected purchase decided to add one... the week after was then a manic panic to see what would happen.

They had some enquiries outstanding that then couldn't be resolved, so they fell through on their purchase but decided to move out still, but couldn't book movers as a result (how they didn't already have it booked is beyond me because we had all been aiming for the 28th). We then agreed they could leave some basic furniture... they took the mick with that a bit and left a metric ton of crap.

Either way we managed to get in on the 29th, but have moved our own stuff twice because of difficulty getting a van. We got a unit and hired a van, moved everything into a unit, then everything out of a unit and got a house clearance in to get rid of the furniture. Short of it. Completed on the 29th, have finally today got to what people might expect after the first day. Absolute faff, but saved the SDLT cost - which'll pay for at least some of the work we need to do...

bJN

bJN

Soldato
We managed to complete in time; picked up the keys on Wednesday afternoon and rented a Luton for 2 days (£220 + £30 diesel) and moved everything over ourselves. Absolutely shattered now - still got to organize and put some things together, but the kitchen is sorted, TV and sofa setup and makeshift bedroom (read: mattress on the floor) is up and running. In love with the place. Hasn't quite sank in that it own it, let alone as a first time buyer! I've also had to put my decking plans on hold for 6 weeks at least as the grass needs to settle and don't want to be walking on it!

Soldato
Well after a whirlwind week I am essentially all in and all rooms unpacked apart from one bathroom where I need some more storage, love the house couldn't be happier. Don't think I'll be moving for a very very long time, this time round was an awful process but in the end worth it!

Soldato
Quick picture when clearing out the garage of some of the crap they left

Whats-App-Image-2021-07-02-at-09-52-16.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2021-07-01-at-14-11-25-1.jpg

Soldato
Arranged to view a house with the vendor showing us around. So, when we did arrive at the property the vendor informed us that the house had been sold the day earlier and our viewing had been cancelled. Annoyed isn't the word for how we felt, no communication from the agent to say the viewing was cancelled. Twenty mile round trip for nothing

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Soldato
Arranged to view a house with the vendor showing us around. So, when we did arrive at the property the vendor informed us that the house had been sold the day earlier and our viewing had been cancelled. Annoyed isn't the word for how we felt, no communication from the agent to say the viewing was cancelled. Twenty mile round trip for nothing

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Saw this happen on an episode of location, location, location last season.... if it can happen to them..

Soldato
Well, after only three years and swearing that we wouldn't move for the foreseeable future I'm back in 'waiting to exchange' limbo.

This time it's just to sell (unless we find somewhere to buy in the meantime) but I'm already dreading the Estate Agent/Solicitor merry-go-round.

Here we go again…

Soldato
Mortgage offer finally received.
we are having to use a panel solicitor for the purchase of our new house as stipulated by the lender, but used a local solicitor for the sale of ours, despite him slating panel solicitors and telling me how slow they are, I spoke with him today and he doesn't know where my case is up to will have to call me back (hasn't done yet from an hour ago), however the panel solicitor told me exactly where we are up to (pretty much ready to go apart from 2 documents)

Soldato
but I'm already dreading the Estate Agent/Solicitor merry-go-round.

Here we go again…

And just think... some people get enjoyment out of moving every 2-3 years.

About the only thing I can think of thats more anger & stress inducing is losing your job or divorce. Moving it's self I quite like but the idiots you have to deal with on the way through the process....

Soldato
And just think... some people get enjoyment out of moving every 2-3 years.

About the only thing I can think of thats more anger & stress inducing is losing your job or divorce. Moving it's self I quite like but the idiots you have to deal with on the way through the process....
Yep, they must be wrong in the head. :D

Our first move was actually really straightforward and painless but then we were FTB and the property was a vacant rental with no forward chain, so about as simple as you like.

Our last move was an absolute nightmare, partly because the vendor was a **** and partly because we used Purple Bricks' partner solicitors for the conveyancing and they were ******* useless. You can find my rants from the time earlier in this thread.

Hopefully, this move will be more like the first — the people buying are currently in rental and we're planning on moving into a rental, so there's no chain and we have found some good solicitors. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Mortgage offer finally received.
we are having to use a panel solicitor for the purchase of our new house as stipulated by the lender, but used a local solicitor for the sale of ours, despite him slating panel solicitors and telling me how slow they are, I spoke with him today and he doesn't know where my case is up to will have to call me back (hasn't done yet from an hour ago), however the panel solicitor told me exactly where we are up to (pretty much ready to go apart from 2 documents)
I found this as well. I used a "rack and stack" volume panel solicitor and it is entirely workflow driven, not a single thing is down to luck and every part of the process is deeply automated. I'm sure if it goes off piste then a local is good, but if you are just a run of the mill buyer, it isn't the worst idea!

Back
Top Bottom