What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Finished S7 of Bosch last night, it will be sorely missed. Season 2 aside, it's been consistently good and well written throughout, very few shows maintain that level of quality throughout, especially on a 7 season run. Even the slower seasons had such a good quality of acting/writing they were never dull.

Agreed. Finished it myself last night, such good TV. I don't remember S2 being bad, but then I was late to the party and binged through it all about 6 months back. Almost a shame it was only 8 episodes, but then the story moves along at quite a pace because of this.

Soldato
Agreed. Finished it myself last night, such good TV. I don't remember S2 being bad, but then I was late to the party and binged through it all about 6 months back. Almost a shame it was only 8 episodes, but then the story moves along at quite a pace because of this.

I think on a rewatch maybe S2 wouldn't be so bad in the grand scheme of the series, just on initial recollection it was quite a contrived main season story arc

the ignored housewife, affair, killing off husband thing, almost 80's daytime movie bad acting, ex cop security guard in on it, none of it gelled for me.

...and a quite embarrassingly bad shootout at the end in the woods cabin.

Not saying all the stories across Bosch are highly original, S2 felt like lazy writing to me, maybe one of the lesser well received books, I honestly don't know.

That aside, still one of the better shows of the last decade.

Soldato
Finished MODOK. Pretty good all round... they utilise the campy weirdness of Marvel's lesser known heroes and villains well. Great voice work from Oswalt and Schwartz in particular. I hope it's renewed for a second season.

Soldato
Don't watch much TV, but currently watching:

The Good Doctor,
Star Trek: Discovery (Season 3)

Stumbled upon "The Good Doctor" a little while back. Quite enjoy it, pretty predictable but quirky enough to keep me watching.

Just finished the first series of "the Nevers" on Sky. Surprised it's not been pushed more. It's better than some of the stuff they push. It's sort of Farscape meets Victorian England with dark overtones. Enjoyed it more than I expected.

Associate
Bojack Horseman.

Already seen this series before. Hilarious and devastating in equal measure. First series is a little light but as soon as you get to the 2nd season, it really gets dark fast and just keeps going.

Soldato
"Real Detective" on Netflix. Actually detectives do little taking-head snippets about their cases, which are then shown docu-drama style. Lots of decent actors throughout. Not exactly happy stuff but really interesting and watchable.

Soldato
Watching Season 2 of The Boys again as missus hadn't seen this one yet.

A rewatch really highlights what a poor season it is after a rock solid first season. I wasn't keen on an initial watch and thought i'd enjoy it more 2nd time around but nope. The writing is all over the place, no real progression in any of the main characters, especially Hughie. One moment I just can't get past is Black Noir, super ninja type assassin, hiding on a roof in plain view, middle of the day for Butcher to accidentally catch a view of him.

It's as though they knew folks would watch regardless because of season 1 success and made no effort. It still has some great moments but overall, i'm honestly bored with it already. Doesn't help they've diverted hugely from the source material and apart from character names, it doesn't really resemble the comics at all.

I just hope the writers know what they're doing as they've already made it impossible to really follow the grand arc of stories in the comics.

Soldato
I watched the first episode of Six Feet Under last night. That was pretty good.

I bought the first 3 seasons of Six Feet Under as my wife didn't see it first time around.

Soldato
‘Sophie: A murder in West Cork’ an interesting case but I’m not sure what to make of the series. Is this another case of the prime suspect being the prime suspect because he is such an unlikeable (and seemingly narcissistic) person? It paints a damning picture but how close to the truth is it?

Worth a watch but if you find the case interesting you’ll probably want to do more reading on it.

Soldato
‘Sophie: A murder in West Cork’ an interesting case but I’m not sure what to make of the series. Is this another case of the prime suspect being the prime suspect because he is such an unlikeable (and seemingly narcissistic) person? It paints a damning picture but how close to the truth is it?

Worth a watch but if you find the case interesting you’ll probably want to do more reading on it.
There's an alternative take/point of view in Sky's Murder at the Cottage, although if you're interested the best source is probably the West Cork Podcast.

Soldato
Suits - 2011

I remember hearing about this many years ago. I love legal drama, but for some reason this never registered as being something worth watching, so I skipped it at the time. It gets an 8.4 on IMDB which is right up there with some of the best rated shows around.

Unfortunately I'm not really seeing it. It's not bad, but there's certainly nothing special about it. The main characters are little polished that the leads in something like Succession, but the show over-all is lacking depth and direction. There's not real feeling or emotion. The thoughts and actions of the leads only seem surface deep, there's nothing of substance really driving an overriding story, or even the episode stories.

Perhaps It's because I'm viewing it some 10 years after it was made, and TV has moved on. I don't think so though. It's last season was in 2019, and back in 2011 we had shows like Newsroom (8.6 IMDB) that had brilliant writing, better characters.

On that basis I rate Suits as more of a filler than a must-watch.

EDIT: Second season adds a bit of meat/depth to the first. It's still very formulaic though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom