Top 3 national anthems

Soldato
So watching the Euros it once again clear how much better some other countries national anthems are than our bore fest GSTQ.
Which counties rank in your top 3? For me it goes

1. Italian. Just love the OTT pomp of it all. Seems to fit perfectly with Italy. Proper national anthem.

2 Wales. Lacks the pomp but makes up for it in emotional response of hearing it sung by either a choir or stadium full of fans. Amazing to listen to.

3 France. Full of pomp again and something for their fans to sing along with and raise the atmosphere.

Caporegime
So watching the Euros it once again clear how much better some other countries national anthems are than our bore fest GSTQ.
Which counties rank in your top 3? For me it goes

1. Italian. Just love the OTT pomp of it all. Seems to fit perfectly with Italy. Proper national anthem.

2 Wales. Lacks the pomp but makes up for it in emotional response of hearing it sung by either a choir or stadium full of fans. Amazing to listen to.

3 France. Full of pomp again and something for their fans to sing along with and raise the atmosphere.

1. Russia. Best anthem in the world. Very rousing.

2. Scotland. Just love the tune, very moving

3. England. I actually like our national anthem. With a good arrangement and sung loud by thousands of people, it’s actually quite inspiring.

Man of Honour
I’m more than a little biased, but it’s La Marseillaise of France first all day long.
If you understand the lyrics, your blood will run both hot and cold as you sing them.
I can usually hold it together, right up until the first chorus, AUX ARMES, CIYOYENS! FORMEZ VOS BATAILLONS!
(To arms citizens, form your battalions), then I’m gone, bottom lip quivering, salty tears coursing down my cheeks.
Second I think is the Russian anthem, very stirring.
Third for me is the Welsh anthem, when I hear it, I imagine hordes of Taffs pouring over the border, swords in hands, determined to wreak vengeance on England for something.

Soldato
OP
1. Russia. Best anthem in the world. Very rousing.

2. Scotland. Just love the tune, very moving

3. England. I actually like our national anthem. With a good arrangement and sung loud by thousands of people, it’s actually quite inspiring.

I actually forget about Russia. That is a great national anthem. Can't agree on England one though. I find it dull and the lyrics are uninspiring.

Soldato
I’ve always liked the German national anthem. But not sure I can be bothered to come up with a top three. The very concept of national anthems is all rather silly and pointless.

Man of Honour
Off the top of my head, I couldn't name 3. Is "Scotland the Brave" their national anthem...no, apparently they don't have one. They could, but they haven't done so. Probably a good idea in a political sense - whatever they chose would be bound to annoy some voters. I'd vote for it, though. It's epic and it's utterly Scottish.

So...err...not a clue.

EDIT: I think we should throw the choice of national anthem open to the gleeful trollery of 4chan. I'd pick the more famous of the Queen of the Night arias from The Magic Flute, solely because hardly anyone can sing it. Just for lols. With "Barbie Girl" as a second option because it would be amusing to see that treated so seriously on formal occasions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Off the top of my head, I couldn't name 3. Is "Scotland the Brave" their national anthem...no, apparently they don't have one. They could, but they haven't done so. Probably a good idea in a political sense - whatever they chose would be bound to annoy some voters. I'd vote for it, though. It's epic and it's utterly Scottish.

So...err...not a clue.
They do, it’s called Flower of Scotland

Back
Top Bottom