Gulf Mexico gas pipeline fire or Kaiju coming through the rift

Soldato
Seen a few oil rig disasters reported on through my life but haven't seen anything quite like this before. Almost surreal footage, like something from a Sci fi/fantasy movie.

Can someone give Elba and Hunnam a call to dust off a Jaeger just in case

Soldato
AHH finally my time to shine.

What has most likely happened is the cathodic protection on the pipeline has failed in this section causing corrosion to happen, this has caused the wall thickness of the pipeline to be reduced to the point of failure to contain the pressure of the gas.

The original defect should have been picked up during cathodic protection maintenance, the ampage drawn shoots up as the protection fails. O would love to see when / if this section of pipeline was pigged and what the readings were and if the defect was known?

The fire is just below the surface as the gas leaking will be 100% gas with no oxygen so isn't flammable in this state. So it gets to the surface mixes with air and most likely ignites of NORM or pyrotheric dust reacting with the atmosphere.

The water sprays I assume are to keep the flames from the rig, as I expect the rig is venting the pipeline down through its emergency vent as well as the terminal on land and any ajoining rigs.
I suspect the idea that they vented the pipeline with nitrogen seems like a lot of BS to me, the amount needed to purge that space to safe is stupidly large especially with their time limit.

What I suspect they did was vent down the pipeline till the water pressure was greater than the pipeline pressure and the water would then create a seal against further gas escapes.

The repair will be interesting, they will have to either cut and bypass or cut out the damage and put a skin over it. Then they will nitrogen purge the entire length to get the atmosphere to safe (i.e. as close to 0% lel as possible), then inject with hot air to dry out.
Once it is dry they will then inject a slug of nitrogen to act as a barrier, then behind it back fill with Natural gas untill the end point reads 100% gas.

Once gassed up, a couple of cleaning pigs need to be run through followed by gauge and smart to check the condition of the pipeline.

Soldato
AHH finally my time to shine.

Looks at start date, only took 12 years! :p

What has most likely happened is the cathodic protection on the pipeline has failed in this section causing corrosion to happen, this has caused the wall thickness of the pipeline to be reduced to the point of failure to contain the pressure of the gas.

The original defect should have been picked up during cathodic protection maintenance, the ampage drawn shoots up as the protection fails. O would love to see when / if this section of pipeline was pigged and what the readings were and if the defect was known?

The fire is just below the surface as the gas leaking will be 100% gas with no oxygen so isn't flammable in this state. So it gets to the surface mixes with air and most likely ignites of NORM or pyrotheric dust reacting with the atmosphere.

The water sprays I assume are to keep the flames from the rig, as I expect the rig is venting the pipeline down through its emergency vent as well as the terminal on land and any ajoining rigs.
I suspect the idea that they vented the pipeline with nitrogen seems like a lot of BS to me, the amount needed to purge that space to safe is stupidly large especially with their time limit.

What I suspect they did was vent down the pipeline till the water pressure was greater than the pipeline pressure and the water would then create a seal against further gas escapes.

The repair will be interesting, they will have to either cut and bypass or cut out the damage and put a skin over it. Then they will nitrogen purge the entire length to get the atmosphere to safe (i.e. as close to 0% lel as possible), then inject with hot air to dry out.
Once it is dry they will then inject a slug of nitrogen to act as a barrier, then behind it back fill with Natural gas untill the end point reads 100% gas.

Once gassed up, a couple of cleaning pigs need to be run through followed by gauge and smart to check the condition of the pipeline.

Just kidding! That's interesting and informative, thank you :)

Soldato
Looks at start date, only took 12 years! :p

Just kidding! That's interesting and informative, thank you :)
I have a very particular knowledge base, it never Normally comes in useful on these forms or outside of work.....

If you guys need knowledge in the following;
* Steel making
* Control and instrumentation systems
* HV AC or DC systems
* Industrial pipelines both gas or oil
* Industrial ups

Anything else you might as well ask a tree outside

Oh and if anyone is worried about pipelines in the UK, we are governed by the HSE under PSSR;
Maximum is 12 years between pigging and all cp systems must be able to be monitored remotely.
The years between runs can only be reduced not increased, reductions are based on age, quality of materials, depth of pipeline and previous results. Some of the older pipelines need to be pigged every 3 years as the welds are not to code, they aren't buried deep and they have non standard materials, so most defects require digging up, shelling and sealing.

A pig run usually involves the following:
* Cleaning pig, it's basically a series of wire brushes and strong magnets and two rubber seals that scrape the inside of the pipeline and carry the crap to the pigtrap where it can be removed.
* Gauge pig, litterally is a disc of aluminium plate, it has been cut into sections, its whole point is to show deflections inside the pipeline, these deflections could be dents, weld or not fully opened valves. The gauges main job is to protect the intelligent pig.
* Intelligent pig; this is the expensive boy. Most companies rent this unit rather than buy one. It measures the thickness of the pipeline using x-ray radiation and can also measure for lateral strains on the pipeline. It's also one of the few that can control it's own speed and has a tracker that can record location of issues.

Pigs can go from 6inch 10kg units to 48 inch 6 tons behemoths.

After a defect has been found HSE give a maximum of 12 months to dig down to it, this can be reduced depending on severity of the issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a very particular knowledge base, it never Normally comes in useful on these forms or outside of work.....

If you guys need knowledge in the following;
* Steel making
* Control and instrumentation systems
* HV AC or DC systems
* Industrial pipelines both gas or oil
* Industrial ups

Anything else you might as well ask a tree outside

It's Saturday, save it for the weekly HSE meeting with Offshore and have a break instead. ;)

Soldato
It's Saturday, save it for the weekly HSE meeting with Offshore and have a break instead. ;)
I'm on call for the whole of West uk this week, already had two meetings about HV compressors unavailability and the lack of LNG gas coming in through the terminals as the Asian markets are buying it all up, so North sea is ramping up so had approve the reconfiguration of a couple of Pri`s.

Back
Top Bottom