Which drive would you replace first in a NAS?

Commissario
My Synology DS1019+ has five drives, three of them are 6Tb and two are 4Tb. I'm going to replace the two 4Tb drives with 10Tb drives over the next few weeks but I wonder which you'd swap out first.

One is a Toshiba HDWQ140 with 28,009 hours power on time.
The other is a WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 with 28,064 hours power on time.

Both are showing healthy and both have similar run times. That's a little over three years.

Which would you pull first?

I've got two volumes and I don't think this initial upgrade will give me much more than a couple of Tb extra space so hopefully I can increase each volume by 1Tb.

Soldato
I'd flip a coin on it, to be honest. Murphy's law says whichever one you pull would be the one leaving the drive to fail behind.

28k hours is nothing either really. I've just retired some old Samsung drives with 70k hours without fault.

Don't see any issues with either make to be honest. When you pull a drive out of an array it does put more strain on the others, but both Tosh and WD imo are similar when it comes to quality, maybe slightly higher in WD's favour.

Soldato
Was going to say flip a coin too.

If they've both managed 28k hours (about 3.25 years of continuous running) then ones not likely to have a better chance of surviving than the other.

Commissario
OP
All done. I pulled the WD and slapped the new one in. It took around 26 hours to rebuild and then just a few seconds to resize the two volumes.

I'll give it a while and do the other one.

Back
Top Bottom