What are most original and highly rated TV/Series you've ever seen?

Soldato
Detectorists. Pretty sure there haven't been more than one sitcom about metal detecting. A fantastic recent show. I would also class The League of Gentlemen as pretty original, and of course Shearsmith and Pemberton have gone on to do great things since, and still quite original, although based on their horror comedy genre.

Soldato
The Ascent Of Man-a 1970s documentary series by Jacob Bronowski about the development of science and technology. The passage of nearly 50 years has done nothing to weaken the beauty and clarity of Bronowski's words. It's hands down mya favourite television programme.

If you haven't seen The Ascent Of Man, correct that mistake as soon as you can.

Yes, Minister- mentioned above. That show never dates, as it's just human nature and bureaucracy. It is very quotable, too.

Soldato
Quantum Leap was pretty original, Sci fi in nature's but completely character driven each time with a slight over riding story arc. Believe it was the first TV show to have a proper finale, and a sad/ bad ending for the main character.

Soldato
OP
True Blood. Plenty of Vampire/supernatural TV shows before this. But the way True Blood did it, with the jokes, sex, blood/gore, was pretty unique.

Loved this scene in the first episode with Lafayette, arleen and Suki. Hilarious, and mostly improv.

jcr

jcr

Associate
i often see people saying the wire is a great show. ive tried to watch it a couple of times now, but it just doesnt keep my attention.

Soldato
OP
i often see people saying the wire is a great show. ive tried to watch it a couple of times now, but it just doesnt keep my attention.

That's fair enough it's just personal tastes I suppose. For example I didn't like Breaking Bad, or West Wing (and I love political thrillers and most things by Sorkin). Walking Dead which gets fantastic reviews I couldn't stand at all. Of course none of those are particularly original.

Associate

The Shield was the one for me, I might have missed something, but some series take a good couple of episodes to get going, I gave up. Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, I was not interested, but caved in, and they do live up to the hype. But not for everyone.

The Killing (The original Danish version)

Man of Honour

I’m quite prepared to be proved wrong and shot down in flames, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that anyone who says that he/she didn’t like “The Wire”, either didn’t give it a chance, or decided that they wouldn’t like it before first watching it.
I’m not for one minute saying that it was the best thing to ever grace our TVs, but it was more than pretty damned good.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato

Best show I have ever watched and will ever watch, nothing will ever beat it, period.

Seen every ep of every season 3 times. There is no other show I have watched even twice.

Man of Honour
I’m quite prepared to be proved wrong and shot down in flames, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that anyone who says that he/she didn’t like “The Wire”, either didn’t give it a chance, or decided that they wouldn’t like it before first watching it.
I’m not for one minute saying that it was the best thing to ever grace our TVs, but it was more than pretty damned good.

I can never understand how it is as highly rated as it is - albeit as I've mentioned before I've seen shows which came since inspired by it before I saw it which probably changes my perception vs if I'd seen it when it was more unique. The second season especially sent me to sleep. I can't say I like it though some of the stuff with Omar, etc. was interesting and some of the characters stood out but I never once was in a hurry to watch the next episode very take it or leave it.

The Shield was similar for me - something about those shows just doesn't engage me at all - while some other similar shows, which are pretty average really, had me watching episodes back to back.

Soldato
Tried one episode of The Wire after all the hype from here, both me and the Mrs, were, "WTF did we just watch?" - stopped there :( About the only show we have not continued with.

I don't normally go for cop shows, but The Shield is one of my all time favourites.

Man of Honour
I can never understand how it is as highly rated as it is - albeit as I've mentioned before I've seen shows which came since inspired by it before I saw it which probably changes my perception vs if I'd seen it when it was more unique. The second season especially sent me to sleep. I can't say I like it though some of the stuff with Omar, etc. was interesting and some of the characters stood out but I never once was in a hurry to watch the next episode very take it or leave it.

The Shield was similar for me - something about those shows just doesn't engage me at all - while some other similar shows, which are pretty average really, had me watching episodes back to back.

I guess that it just proves the old adage, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Tried one episode of The Wire after all the hype from here, both me and the Mrs, were, "WTF did we just watch?" - stopped there :( About the only show we have not continued with.

I don't normally go for cop shows, but The Shield is one of my all time favourites.

just my speculative mind, but did the bad language in "The Wire" turn you and your wife off?
I can't remember how the first episode went.

Soldato
Legion (think it was FX channel only) has to be up there.

First season of Fargo/the film also, just made so well.

I'm surprised that only one peron mentioned The Sopranos.

Soldato

Spot on @Jean-F and I also feel the same about Breaking Bad, took me multiple attempts to complete season 1, hype was strong around s3 so went back and persevered, lived up to the hype and more as it went on.

It's a victim of its own success though as plenty of folk decide not to like a show that's so good or acclaimed before they even give it a fair try.

Soldato
The Ascent Of Man-a 1970s documentary series by Jacob Bronowski about the development of science and technology. The passage of nearly 50 years has done nothing to weaken the beauty and clarity of Bronowski's words. It's hands down mya favourite television programme.

If you haven't seen The Ascent Of Man, correct that mistake as soon as you can.

Yes, Minister- mentioned above. That show never dates, as it's just human nature and bureaucracy. It is very quotable, too.

I have The Ascent Of Man boxset although I've never managed to make it past the first DVD or two, I think there are 5 in total. Natrually, it feels a bit (very) dated, especially the sound quality, lots of ear peircing sounds.

Having typed that out I've decided that I'm actually going to give it another go.

Spot on @Jean-F and I also feel the same about Breaking Bad, took me multiple attempts to complete season 1, hype was strong around s3 so went back and persevered, lived up to the hype and more as it went on.

It's a victim of its own success though as plenty of folk decide not to like a show that's so good or acclaimed before they even give it a fair try.

Totally agree, The Wire is a slow burner but well worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom