When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
hadn't seen these wheels before - gorgeous - when rotating smooth symmetric spiral effect - hypnotic

51285561911_ca9e06bce7_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Welcome to the club. Loving mine.
Cheers, made up from tax savings and man math it cost very little to get in this over my 2011 daily Range Rover tdv8

what spec have you got. I find the menus in my the Skoda enyaq and the etron to be overally complicated without actually showing good car information such as battery range / charge and other bit

Associate
I do 300 miles a week, we have chargers at work but not for staff use, at the moment, next year hopefully. There is also a Tesla supercharger at golf course near me, that’s within 5 miles of home. At the minute I am thinking about waiting to the new year and see what work do. See if the they install chargers for staff use. It has been mentioned a lot recently.

Put the pressure on mate if you care enough. I did at work, and managed to effect a fair bit of a move to EVs (and getting the charging infrastructure for them and PHEVs to boot). There are very compelling incentives for employers with fleets, as well as company car drivers. Furthermore, it's a way of a company actually showing they commit to the sustainability improvements we all require, especially if they pair it with sustainable electricity sourcing.

Just be careful - I suspect that's probably a Tesla Destination Charger (7kW AC), rather than a SuperCharger (<350 kW DC). They might serve your needs, it depends on if I'm right, and how long you want to be there :) I would defo recommend a Tesla if you have the cash

Soldato
Cheers, made up from tax savings and man math it cost very little to get in this over my 2011 daily Range Rover tdv8

what spec have you got. I find the menus in my the Skoda enyaq and the etron to be overally complicated without actually showing good car information such as battery range / charge and other bit

I got the sport in floret silver. I've had Audi's before so used to the MMI. Its a bit rubbish, but the car itself is fantastic. Just the overall quality swung it for me over the others.

Soldato
Must be a pretty big balloon payment on that sort of deal.

It's roughly £10800 (haven't got the info to hand). Definitely no more than £11k.

If the intention is to hand it back and treat it as a lease than it doesn't matter much anyway.

I’ve seen pre reg Corsa e’s up for under £22k cash so possibly not.

Yep, it was £21700.

Soldato
It's roughly £10800 (haven't got the info to hand). Definitely no more than £11k.

If the intention is to hand it back and treat it as a lease than it doesn't matter much anyway.

That isn't too bad to be fair, I'd imagine after 48 months it would be worth about that anyhow, maybe slightly less depending on how the second hand BEV market develops.

Soldato
hadn't seen these wheels before - gorgeous - when rotating smooth symmetric spiral effect - hypnotic
Mine has those. Each side of the car has a slightly different look. Was surprised to hear that originally BMW had LH and RH part numbers so the spokes faced the same way each side. They ditched that at some point.

Soldato
Our charger isn't being installed till 13th so having to get used to public charging...

Went shopping to Lidl this morning, nice top up with a 50kw which I think gave me around 120 miles whilst shopping.

Really easy to use and no dramas...although with a home point I can see electric car ownership being so easy.

Obligatory charging pic!

xI1n96k.jpg

Soldato

51285561911_ca9e06bce7_o_d.jpg

There's about 4 different ones for the I3 and those are the best IMO. Decent used prices on these even with good spec (pro nav, Harmon Kardon, leather etc) now - not sure what they're like for reliability though.

Caporegime
No back up plan. I feel like having to worry about a back up plan just makes the EV experience almost pointless, so I'm going to purely rely on the existing charging network.

I don't really get that - it's sort of like saying "nah I don't carry a spare wheel as I think having a back up/spare wheel makes the motoring experience almost pointless"

EVs do have some limitations but I don't see what is wrong with embracing them, carrying a lead and topping up overnight is a potential solution, I don't think it's much faff nor ruins any experience etc..

Soldato
There's about 4 different ones for the I3 and those are the best IMO. Decent used prices on these even with good spec (pro nav, Harmon Kardon, leather etc) now - not sure what they're like for reliability though.
Had one since Feb and from my research the i3 seems to have great reliability. Seems to be more issue with those who have the REX (backup petrol engine generator). Top quality battery pack and BMS. Good used EV bargain IMO. From what I've read, battery warranty claims are very rare which is a crucial thing if keeping an EV for a long while. Battery related issues once EV warranties expire are gonna be big £.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really get that - it's sort of like saying "nah I don't carry a spare wheel as I think having a back up/spare wheel makes the motoring experience almost pointless"

EVs do have some limitations but I don't see what is wrong with embracing them, carrying a lead and topping up overnight is a potential solution, I don't think it's much faff nor ruins any experience etc..
It depends how you use your car though. I drive as part of my job and often used to go on a tour (pre-COVID obviously) where I'd visit a couple of customers a day and cover a chunk of the UK over a few days. Planning where I need to be, where I'm going to stay, how long it will take me to get there, how much time to factor in for traffic, where to sit with my laptop and a coffee to soak up my traffic time if I don't need it... is a bit of a chore really. If I had to factor in anything other than just fuelling the car on anything more than an ad-hoc basis or as part of one of the pre-planned stops would be a bit of a bind TBH.

I know DanTheMan was talking about a leisure trip but I do get where he is coming from... although as it stands with charging at the moment I'd personally be going to the effort of having a few charging options saved on google maps.

Man of Honour
It depends how you use your car though. I drive as part of my job and often used to go on a tour (pre-COVID obviously) where I'd visit a couple of customers a day and cover a chunk of the UK over a few days. Planning where I need to be, where I'm going to stay, how long it will take me to get there, how much time to factor in for traffic, where to sit with my laptop and a coffee to soak up my traffic time if I don't need it... is a bit of a chore really. If I had to factor in anything other than just fuelling the car on anything more than an ad-hoc basis or as part of one of the pre-planned stops would be a bit of a bind TBH.

This is why I just don't think they work for people who do longer trips. I thoroughly enjoyed my EV experience last month and I'd like one (mostly because it's interesting and I like cars) but for us it makes no sense for it to be anything more than our local use town car - charged almost exclusively at home I think it would be an absolutely ideal car for day to day use. Then for actual journeys where I have no interest in bothering about whether and where I can charge, a conventional efficient ICE car.

I've said it before but this is why I think the whole 'ban ICE!!!!' thing is just flawed politics. I think we could encourage EV take up far better if we played to the strengths of EV rather than trying to pretend it's a solution as a total replacement for the ICE. It really isn't.

Just imagine if we'd properly gone with a mixed fleet approach - pure EV's for town usage, plug in hybrids for longer journeys - you'd end up with no range anxiety problems but also sufficient EV range in virtually every car to be able to truly introduce zero emissions zones in cities. Got to do a 400 mile trip for work? No bother - sit on the motorway at 55mpg emitting minimal CO2, pull off the motorway into EV mode and drive into the city with no emissions.

But no, instead we have to ban things and insist that EV is the answer to everything.

I remember when diesel was the answer to everything. That went well.

Soldato
This is why I just don't think they work for people who do longer trips. I thoroughly enjoyed my EV experience last month and I'd like one (mostly because it's interesting and I like cars) but for us it makes no sense for it to be anything more than our local use town car - charged almost exclusively at home I think it would be an absolutely ideal car for day to day use. Then for actual journeys where I have no interest in bothering about whether and where I can charge, a conventional efficient ICE car.

I've said it before but this is why I think the whole 'ban ICE!!!!' thing is just flawed politics. I think we could encourage EV take up far better if we played to the strengths of EV rather than trying to pretend it's a solution as a total replacement for the ICE. It really isn't.

Just imagine if we'd properly gone with a mixed fleet approach - pure EV's for town usage, plug in hybrids for longer journeys - you'd end up with no range anxiety problems but also sufficient EV range in virtually every car to be able to truly introduce zero emissions zones in cities. Got to do a 400 mile trip for work? No bother - sit on the motorway at 55mpg emitting minimal CO2, pull off the motorway into EV mode and drive into the city with no emissions.

But no, instead we have to ban things and insist that EV is the answer to everything.

I remember when diesel was the answer to everything. That went well.
Actually you're looking at this the wrong way.

If we want future generations to live well then we need to stop emitting CO2 - that's what this is about. EVs aren't being mandated as the only way forward and the government isn't saying everyone needs to use EVs, just that we have to stop using CO2 emitting vehicles. Regulations and laws spur innovation and technology and science will find a way forward, like how clean air acts made burning fossil fuels much cleaner by making producers develop ways to burn cleanly.

Back
Top Bottom