Bathroom Cost

Caporegime
Really depends what you want and how big your bathroom is. Anything between 2k and 20k.

At my old two bed semi, I had a new suite fitted for about £600 and did all the flooring and tiling myself.

Anything between £2k and £20k or £45k if you need a small internal wall knocking down.

Soldato
We are paying £45K, but it is a bigger job needing to knock down a small internal wall, rip out the old bathroom, re-tile.
Every little piece seems reasonably priced and I don't mind paying good money for good labour. But it all adds up, abd some things seem very expensive like glass panelling for the shower or adding a spotlight etc.
Forgive me - I obviously don’t know the full extent of the works needed but that sounds like an astonishing amount of money - a standard dormer loft conversion costs similar. How is the figure justified?

Soldato
We are paying £45K, but it is a bigger job needing to knock down a small internal wall, rip out the old bathroom, re-tile.
Every little piece seems reasonably priced and I don't mind paying good money for good labour. But it all adds up, abd some things seem very expensive like glass panelling for the shower or adding a spotlight etc.

Good joke

Soldato
A friend had an entire back of the house extension put up for 18 grand and that included internal fittings. And he chose the builder on the basis of his good reviews - other quotes came in cheaper.

Where 45 grand comes from, I'd be very much interested to learn, because it sounds like paying for good labour is coming in at a day rate of about £4000.

Soldato
Works Description
1 Rip out existing bathroom suite disposing into skip provided by customer
2 Install shower pump supplied by customer
3 Replasterboard where necessery
4 Form studwork at shower end of bath to hide pipework etc
5 Paint ceiling including supplying all paint
6 Fit new lighting and extractor fans supplied by customer
7 Tile all walls & floor. Customer supplying tiles, we'll be supplying adhesives,grout & trims
8 Fit new 1800mm bath, panel, with bar mixer shower and shower screen
9 Fit vanity unit and basin
10 Fit toilet with concealed cistern
11 Fit new towel radiator including relocating pipe work

The above cost me £3250 last year. Supplies cost me around 3k.

Interesting...

I've been quoted this:

Removing of existing bathroom suite, tiles etc
Decommission existing electric shower
Studding out window wall up to windowsill height
Fitting tile backer board to existing stud walls
Fitting new L shaped bath and alter waste to suit
Fitting new bath panel
Fitting new shower valve over bath and alter hot and cold water supplies to suit
Fitting new bath shower screen
Fitting new bath taps and alter hot and cold water supplies to suit
Fitting new WC set and alter water supply and sewer to suit
Fitting new basin and vanity unit and alter hot and cold water supplies and waste to suit
Fitting new magnifying mirror complete with light and electric supply to suit
Fitting new shaver point and electric supply to suit
Fitting new designer style radiator and alter flow and return pipe work to suit
Fitting 4 LED bathroom rated downlights
Reposition existing bathroom light and fan switch to landing wall
Existing extractor fan to be reused
Fully tile walls and floor

£4295 ex VAT = £5150 inc VAT! :o

And this is Northern Ireland, not London / South England! And the bathroom isn't even 2m x 2m...

I was expecting more like your quote.

I'm guessing that one or more of the following apply:

1) The guy we've picked prefers to source his stuff from the suppliers (he mentioned this is normally what he does, hence makes a bit of profit on that, whereas we were planning on buying everything separately)
2) Every bathroom renovation place right now is often booked out for months (everyone's getting home improvements instead of going on holidays)
3) He doesn't mind if he gets the job or not
4) He thinks we're loaded (we're one of very few detatched houses in the area and there's a sports car on the drive, albeit a 17 year old Nissan 350Z!)

Thoughts / opinions welcome - the guy does come highly recommended on Google / FB etc.

Associate
Interesting...

I've been quoted this:

Fitting new bath panel
Fitting new shower valve over bath and alter hot and cold water supplies to suit
Fitting new basin and vanity unit and alter hot and cold water supplies and waste to suit

£4295 ex VAT = £5150 inc VAT! :o

The VAT doesn’t help. I assume he’s vat registered. How many quotes have you had? And you’re right everyone is having house work done so trades are charging what they want.

Associate

Sounds very very expensive, care to share the quote so we can make sure you're not being taken for a ride.

Soldato
Fitting new bath panel

We've just had pretty much exactly this done (right down to the designer mirror, posh mirror needing elec, a bit of stud work, removing all the old stuff, new LED lights) but I got each trade in. Sparky was £500 (day and half + misc materials). Tiler was £1700 (room is 3m*2m) and plumber was £1750+VAT (others were cash so no VAT).

This is in Surrey so definitely extra for South East prices. Your price feels about 15-25% over before adding VAT onto it all. Our total that we paid out was £4300 for labour and I felt fine with that after seeing all the work done.

FWIW - this was with us purchasing absolutely everything ourselves like the LED lights, mirror, shower screen etc.... Trades just had to provide their own misc bits like elec cable, screws, sealant etc....

Soldato
I did my bathroom myself during lockdown. It's not huge but I didnt really skimp on fittings or quality. It cost me £4k for materials plus a plasterer for a day and a half. Adding labour I think would have been about £3k in addition.

Edit, basically your full list above was similar.

Soldato
I did all my own bathroom……so only paid circa 1k for materials, which included a roll top bath.

Took out shower unit, took down all the tiles, took up the floor and redone the pipework, laid new floorboards, then osb, then fiited cushion flooring. Then i fitted tongue and groove too 850mm high all around the bathroom, then fitted dado rail above that, painted with waterproof bathroom paint, tiled the rest…..fitted new toilet and sink unit, then fitted new roll top bath

all done within a week. Jobs a good un

Soldato
Posted this previously ....

We had some work done about 18months ago and these are "fit out" costs - the actual building work / first fix was included in the builders price.

Screenshot-20210704-173036.jpg

Soldato
I did all my own bathroom……so only paid circa 1k for materials, which included a roll top bath.

Took out shower unit, took down all the tiles, took up the floor and redone the pipework, laid new floorboards, then osb, then fiited cushion flooring. Then i fitted tongue and groove too 850mm high all around the bathroom, then fitted dado rail above that, painted with waterproof bathroom paint, tiled the rest…..fitted new toilet and sink unit, then fitted new roll top bath

all done within a week. Jobs a good un
Pics? What's cushion flooring?

Back
Top Bottom