Best router for VM £100-£150

Soldato
I'd like to buy a router for my Virgin Media broadband (350mb package I think) since the VM Superhub is utter garbage. It's for a smallish house with maybe a dozen or so devices so I dont think I need anything super fancy, just a strong and reliable signal.

I've done a little research and seen two Asus models being recommended - the RT-AC86U for £135 and the RT-AX58U for £160.

Any recommendations or advice would be great. Thanks.

Associate
I'd like to buy a router for my Virgin Media broadband (350mb package I think) since the VM Superhub is utter garbage. It's for a smallish house with maybe a dozen or so devices so I dont think I need anything super fancy, just a strong and reliable signal.

I've done a little research and seen two Asus models being recommended - the RT-AC86U for £135 and the RT-AX58U for £160.

Firstly, I agree the VM router sucks big time. I just switched over from PlusNet and the VM router is worse in every possible way I can find so far lol.

If you are looking for another router, it really depends what your end game is, what is the problem you are trying to solve here? If it's poor WiFi performance / signal - I think this is mostly down to the crap processor they have in the VM router, any router with a good processor will show you significant improvement. If good WiFi is your goal then I would consider getting a mesh network instead of a router, for example have a look at the TP Link S4, they are great.

If your end game is just to have a better router than you can do more with, then any of the Asus routers in your price range will be more than enough tbh.

Soldato

What you have will have the same broadcast strength as what you are buying, that’s how legally defined power limits work, and what you describe sounds pretty minimal in terms of client count and coverage area - have you checked the channel and made sure it’s set to the quietest non overlapping channel for 2.4 and 5Ghz to something not in use?

I would strongly suggest more research, start by placing less weight on sources that don’t specifically state they received no consideration in terms of free/subsidised hardware. ASUS is a marketing company, they haven’t made good products in decades, especially networking products. The manufacturing/QC sucks, the CS sucks, the RMA sucks, the history of abandoning products after telling people they will fix issues sucks, the unwillingness to patch known security issues for years sucks, the faking of FCC test data sucks. Yes, other OEM’s have issues, but I literally cannot think of one who gets it that wrong, that often for that many years. Admittedly running 3rd party firmware on the hardware does remove many of the issues in question, but that’s about the only time I would consider ASUS hardware, and even then I would be pretty selective.

You say you want a better router, but only complain about wifi, so - other than wifi - what exactly is your current router not doing that you want? If it is only wifi then run a cable to a central location (usually upstairs landing) and mount an AP on the ceiling, it’s quick, cheap, efficient and makes future upgrades easy. Mesh is cheap, good mesh isn’t. Good mesh should come with a wired backhaul, OK mesh should come with dedicated radio backhaul, cheap mesh will be sharing backhaul with clients and that’s not fun.

Man of Honour
Generally the issue with ISP supplied routers isn't the routers, it is the fact that they are usually sat in the corner of the house and literally one of the worse places to supply WiFi to a household. They'll almost always be on channel 6 2.4 Ghz so it'll be competing with every device around

Routers/Access Points don't have a 'best' answer. The best is entirely subjective and down to what the individual wants from it.

What you have will have the same broadcast strength as what you are buying, that’s how legally defined power limits work, and what you describe sounds pretty minimal in terms of client count and coverage area - have you checked the channel and made sure it’s set to the quietest non overlapping channel for 2.4 and 5Ghz to something not in use?

I would strongly suggest more research, start by placing less weight on sources that don’t specifically state they received no consideration in terms of free/subsidised hardware. ASUS is a marketing company, they haven’t made good products in decades, especially networking products. The manufacturing/QC sucks, the CS sucks, the RMA sucks, the history of abandoning products after telling people they will fix issues sucks, the unwillingness to patch known security issues for years sucks, the faking of FCC test data sucks. Yes, other OEM’s have issues, but I literally cannot think of one who gets it that wrong, that often for that many years. Admittedly running 3rd party firmware on the hardware does remove many of the issues in question, but that’s about the only time I would consider ASUS hardware, and even then I would be pretty selective.

You say you want a better router, but only complain about wifi, so - other than wifi - what exactly is your current router not doing that you want? If it is only wifi then run a cable to a central location (usually upstairs landing) and mount an AP on the ceiling, it’s quick, cheap, efficient and makes future upgrades easy. Mesh is cheap, good mesh isn’t. Good mesh should come with a wired backhaul, OK mesh should come with dedicated radio backhaul, cheap mesh will be sharing backhaul with clients and that’s not fun.
Best post in the thread.

Soldato
Generally the issue with ISP supplied routers isn't the routers, it is the fact that they are usually sat in the corner of the house and literally one of the worse places to supply WiFi to a household. They'll almost always be on channel 6 2.4 Ghz so it'll be competing with every device around

Routers/Access Points don't have a 'best' answer. The best is entirely subjective and down to what the individual wants from it.

Best post in the thread.

I tried all that and didnt solve anything the virgin hubs are just poor when having multiple wifi devices connected I had to reboot mine every few days

I just went all out and found open box RT-AX88U set the virgin hub to modem only and never had the issue again , any cheaper one will do much better job than the supplied Virgin Hub

Soldato
OP
@Avalon @777GE90

Basically the signal isn't great and often when gaming simply refreshing the server browser list will kill my internet and I need to reboot the superhub. I'm obviously no expert but it seems like the superhub cant cope with pinging a whole bunch of servers. A neighbour has suffered the same problems and they bought a 3rd party router (a TP-link of some sort I think) to use with their superhub in modem mode and basically all their issues went away.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding Asus but many of their routers seems to get very positive reviews.

Soldato
@Avalon @777GE90

Basically the signal isn't great and often when gaming simply refreshing the server browser list will kill my internet and I need to reboot the superhub. I'm obviously no expert but it seems like the superhub cant cope with pinging a whole bunch of servers. A neighbour has suffered the same problems and they bought a 3rd party router (a TP-link of some sort I think) to use with their superhub in modem mode and basically all their issues went away.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding Asus but many of their routers seems to get very positive reviews.

The obvious question has to be why are you gaming over wifi?

They aren’t my thoughts, they are documented and usually easily provable facts, look in the motherboards forum about ASUS RMA’s taking months and being refused for unbelievably stupid reasons (screw marks on the screw hole pads), or the legal judgements and fines/penalties, how many networking brands can you name who have been forced to agree to decades of external US security auditing as part of a settlement? That kind of screams ‘You can’t be trusted to sell networking products to customers unsupervised’, but strangely is not touched on by reviewers. Then again if someone is providing you with free hardware to review and your money is coming from referral/add revenue then you have little or no interest in drawing attention to the fact your cash cow sucks. It’s also beyond the scope of your average review to look at security issues or how disclosures have been patched/handled previously, and again you have no interest in crapping where you eat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
In every house I have lived in I always went wired for my Desktop. The hipster folk that maybe use macbooks and portable devices like phones/tablets its fine. I get people who rent might not want the hassle but for the outlay on wifi equipment just to get you placebo high speeds you could have used some cable for less than £20 and been guaranteed stable fast speeds.

Soldato
I just went all out and found open box RT-AX88U set the virgin hub to modem only and never had the issue again , any cheaper one will do much better job than the supplied Virgin Hub

A neighbour has suffered the same problems and they bought a 3rd party router (a TP-link of some sort I think) to use with their superhub in modem mode and basically all their issues went away.

I had the exact same experiences with the VM Superhub. Bought a TP Link Archer C6, set the VM router into modem mode, and had no problems since. The TP link also has a far nicer interface which is a lot more responsive, and has more functionality.

Soldato
OP
@Avalon
To clarify, my desktop is wired and the superhub crashing when refreshing server browser lists is the main problem I have. Other members of the household are the ones complaining about the terrible wifi.

I'm also not beholden to Asus either as i've only ever owned one Asus product (my current motherboard), I only mentioned the two Asus routers in my OP because they were in my price range and were reviewed well.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
When I had a VM connection the Super Hub started falling over as soon as it has more than 10 or so devices connected to it.

If you’ve got Sonos kit or use Philips Hue setups then it’s absolutely *****.

Replaced mine with a Netgear Nighthawk something or other and never looked back. Turned out that at times I had about 30+ devices connected so it’s no wonder the flaky Super Hub couldn’t cope.

Now since moving I’ve had to install a mesh setup instead but for an average 3-bed semi almost anything will work better than the VM supplied kit.

Back
Top Bottom