New car for the Mrs! VXR Goodness

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Aye, looks like they changed it

*SNIP*

My Corsa VXR - one owner from new
Mine actually has the A16LER engine, not the Z16LER as I got mine when they changed it a bit (has the change up indicator to indicate the newer A16 engine). VX kindly supplied me with the old owners manual for some reason.

Brilliant info :D Looks like a nice little example of the car too :)

Anything else I should be looking out for? I hear wheel bearings are a common failure, and there can be some oil weeping from a bad connection around the turbo?

Associate
It does eat through wheel bearings, particularly the rears, I'm getting mine done every 2 or 3 years, not too expensive.

I've not found anything overly expensive yet apart from my back box finally getting a hole in it after 11 years. VX wanted a grand for a new back box so I got a cat back stainless system from Cobra for just over £400.

Subframes are garbage on the older ones, yours should be ok though, wasn't outrageous for that.
Recaro seat clips all break on the early ones as well.

Best car I've ever owned by Miles TBH. Quite possibly keep it as a weekend car when I eventually go electric as its only 55k on the clock.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
It does eat through wheel bearings, particularly the rears, I'm getting mine done every 2 or 3 years, not too expensive.

I've not found anything overly expensive yet apart from my back box finally getting a hole in it after 11 years. VX wanted a grand for a new back box so I got a cat back stainless system from Cobra for just over £400.

Subframes are garbage on the older ones, yours should be ok though, wasn't outrageous for that.
Recaro seat clips all break on the early ones as well.

Best car I've ever owned by Miles TBH. Quite possibly keep it as a weekend car when I eventually go electric as its only 55k on the clock.

Great info, thanks again!

So, I decided to get the new infotainment set up, as well as get a dashcam installed. Got the kit from http://intellilinkmods.co.uk/, and the service was great. They answered my questions on whatsapp, and helped me get the install done, as shown below!

This is the original infotainment system, and it seems to be a little lacking in functions:

CorsaVXR2.jpg

So, I ordered the self fit kit, and whilst waiting for it to arrive, I fitted the dash cam, using an ignition live from the roof lights section :)

CorsaVXR3.jpg

That's as clean as I can get it, but nice and discreet, then it was whipping out the old trim (had to be replaced!)

CorsaVXR4.jpg

No major issues so far,

Swapping out the buttons:
CorsaVXR5.jpg

CorsaVXR6.jpg

I had to trim out the corners of the new system carrier to get it to fit.

CorsaVXR7.jpg

Then a quick test fit of the new system to find what else needs to be trimmed away:

CorsaVXR8.jpg

As you can see the top edge is whacking the original dash sections...

Started by whipping these clips out:
CorsaVXR9.jpg

Roughed out what I though would need to go, as a first attempt:

CorsaVXR10.jpg

First attack with the dremel:

CorsaVXR11.jpg

Close, but not enough yet, surely

CorsaVXR12.jpg

offering up the new trim panel, seeing what needs to be removed/adjusted/etc

CorsaVXR13.jpg

some trim location plastics had to be slimmed down with the dremel to hit the new locating holes:

CorsaVXR14.jpg

CorsaVXR15.jpg

I also had to make some new rectangular hole for some locating pins that were different on the new dash trim panel...

CorsaVXR16.jpg

All offered up, and working as desired!

CorsaVXR17.jpg

Essentially, it looks totally stock as if it was a later model Corsa E :)

Now with apple/android car app and better screen. Just what the doctor ordered. Mrs seems happy with it so far!

Soldato
Now with apple/android car app and better screen. Just what the doctor ordered. Mrs seems happy with it so far!
Did she even notice? :p

Looks like a tidy install. Is the kit a total aftermarket one? Or simply from the later Corsa? I remember building a Carputer for my MK6 Fiesta and it was a right nightmare as back then the dash was just not made for such large touchscreens...!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Did she even notice? :p

Looks like a tidy install. Is the kit a total aftermarket one? Or simply from the later Corsa? I remember building a Carputer for my MK6 Fiesta and it was a right nightmare as back then the dash was just not made for such large touchscreens...!

She noticed :D

It's the kit from a later car. Usually recovered from a vehicle somehow. So it's basically fully OEM.

Back
Top Bottom