• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Graphics cards do you regret buying?

Soldato
One of other one regret buying was a Geforce FX5600. I bought that for my first ever custom build and I really wish I had plumped up the extra £20 and bought the ATI 9600 Pro. I don't know what went wrong at Nvidia during this time but someone had a brain fart when then came up with the FX series as performance was dire. Even without proper benchmarking tools I could tell from playing games like Unreal Tournament the card was performing that well as I was reducing setting to make the game smoother.

Associate
One of other one regret buying was a Geforce FX5600. I bought that for my first ever custom build and I really wish I had plumped up the extra £20 and bought the ATI 9600 Pro. I don't know what went wrong at Nvidia during this time but someone had a brain fart when then came up with the FX series as performance was dire. Even without proper benchmarking tools I could tell from playing games like Unreal Tournament the card was performing that well as I was reducing setting to make the game smoother.

I bought the same card for my first custom build as well, paired it with an Athlon XP2600, I didn't really know too much about graphics cards at the time or read enough reviews being the 16yr old pc building noob at the time.

Soldato
I bought the same card for my first custom build as well, paired it with an Athlon XP2600, I didn't really know too much about graphics cards at the time or read enough reviews being the 16yr old pc building noob at the time.
I built mine when I was 21 but the weird thing was I did read some reviews (including magazines like PC Format) and I still went ahead and bought it like a fool :o. The problem was a friend of mine who I went to University with told me to buy Nvidia as ATI drivers were trash which turned my head and created a bit of fanboy out of me. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the FX5600 was so poor any prospect of me being a Green Team fanboy quickly dissipated and after I replaced the FX after it broke with the 9600 Pro I realised ATI cards were pretty good and I've been going between either companies products ever since.

Associate
Yeah thats exactly what I ended up doing shortly afterwards, it actually got a lot of use until I went Gerforce 2 iirc.

The only 3d card back in those days that was worth its salt was the Nvidia Tnt and Tnt 2 (and of course the Geforce when it came out) other than that all the other supposedly 3d cards were useless and only useful for 2d applications

Associate
GTX 570, good chipset but it was a blower card, never again.

GTX 960, not a bad card but needed to upgrade to an awesome 1060 6gb a year later.

Man of Honour
The only 3d card back in those days that was worth its salt was the Nvidia Tnt and Tnt 2 (and of course the Geforce when it came out) other than that all the other supposedly 3d cards were useless and only useful for 2d applications

What about the voodoo3 and the powerVR Kyro? I always thought the Kyro was decent. Didnt they release a tnt2 with a half width bus that was just utter dross? That was it the M64 I remember back in the day almost being fooled by it.

Oh and ati cant forget them this would have been around the time of the 7500/8500 cards and the 8500 was a damn fine card.

No that was later this would have been around the time of the original radeon the r100 also a damn fine card for the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT. It was faulty from day one but instead of returning it I tried to install better cooling which didn't fix the problem. Replaced it with a 8800gt within a year.

Man of Honour
I thought of one card I bought back in the day because specs looked like it could be good but it was genuinely terrible, let down by drivers. I never really got a driver that properly worked anybody remember the SiS Xabre 600?

Permabanned
1) Gainward GS7800 AGP as in no real gain over the 6800 Ultra AGP (rectified when Gainward GS7800+ AGP came out (basically an AGP 7900 GTX).

2) GTX 780Ti again no real gain over the GTX 680 4GB (again rectified when the full fat Titan X came out).

Permabanned
1080p and 1440p dependant on what monitor I was trying out (falling back to 1080p G-sync in between) but I would have used DSR so basically always 1440p.

I can say the 780Ti (3GB< the issue IMO) was my worse purchase ever as at least I returned the Gainward 7800GS within 2 weeks of owning it, the Titan X (12GB) blew the 780Ti away.

Associate
2x 8800GTS for SLI in 2008 before realising that Sli is and was largely a waste of time and money.

I also once had a ATI card that was utterly hopeless and kept crashing, as they say once bitten twice shy, i have never had a radeon GPU since

Associate
What about the voodoo3 and the powerVR Kyro? I always thought the Kyro was decent. Didnt they release a tnt2 with a half width bus that was just utter dross? That was it the M64 I remember back in the day almost being fooled by it.

Oh and ati cant forget them this would have been around the time of the 7500/8500 cards and the 8500 was a damn fine card.

No that was later this would have been around the time of the original radeon the r100 also a damn fine card for the time.

Ah yes I forgot about the voodoo3 that was a great card. I shouldn't have put in the tnt2 really , but for it's time the TNT was still a very capable card , it's just that 3dfx dominated that era and with an Sli feature that actually worked you can see why they were the choice for most enthusiasts

Back
Top Bottom