New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
I get that queezy feeling from the video, but I think that's just because it's the constant spinning round and round! I'd not be doing that in game, personally, so I'm not sure I'd detect the same issue.

Well I'm doing it extreme to show it easier on the screen, but I'd you look at the other video with the door in counter strike you can easily notice the color screen tearing on the door.

I couldn't record turning around from a corner given I don't have a bipod for my phone, but when you turn around a corner fast everything gets smushed together like you are drunk,and colors gets washed together like you take a pencil in a color palette and mixing together if it makes sense.

So it's noticeable even with less motion but it's not that easy to get with the camera.

I also getting screen tearing when I am switching tabs in chrome like the first ten seconds, then the tearing stops.m

And its not a problem that's always been there. I have had this monitor for like 5 months now and I got this problem recently

Last edited:
Associate
Your safest bet at this stage is to return it - I'm not sure you're going to be able to necessarily fix it yourself and if it was me I'd have started the returns process the moment it started displaying issues.

Soldato
I'm sure this has been answered earlier, but is this monitor actually fitted with a gsync module? I ordered a couple for my children and one computer (with a 2080ti) allows me to enable gsync. The other (a 980ti computer) won't show 'enable gsync' in nVidia control panel, even though I've updated the software. I know the 980ti won't work with freesync, which is why I bought this monitor as the wording on the tech description suggests its actual gsync rather than freesync adaptive refresh.

Soldato
I'm sure this has been answered earlier, but is this monitor actually fitted with a gsync module? I ordered a couple for my children and one computer (with a 2080ti) allows me to enable gsync. The other (a 980ti computer) won't show 'enable gsync' in nVidia control panel, even though I've updated the software. I know the 980ti won't work with freesync, which is why I bought this monitor as the wording on the tech description suggests its actual gsync rather than freesync adaptive refresh.
Definitely no gsync module I’m afraid - it is only gsync compatible which as you say doesn’t work with pre-10 series cards.

Did you buy direct from Dell?

Soldato
Did you buy direct from Dell?

I did buy it direct from Dell and wonder if I should complain. The monitor even has a big 'nvidia gsync' sticker on it and their website says "NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Technology and AMD FreeSync™ Premium Pro technology adds another layer of seamless, low latency HDR gaming by eliminating screen tearing and stuttering" which really makes it seem like it has a gsync module.

Soldato
I did buy it direct from Dell and wonder if I should complain. The monitor even has a big 'nvidia gsync' sticker on it and their website says "NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Technology and AMD FreeSync™ Premium Pro technology adds another layer of seamless, low latency HDR gaming by eliminating screen tearing and stuttering" which really makes it seem like it has a gsync module.

Yeah my LG 27GL850 has the same sticker and that probably is misleading.

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately it could be clearer. I possibly wouldn't have known myself only I've been in the monitor market for the past few weeks so I've watched review videos until I'm blue in the face.
It seems now that a monitor that has genuine Gsync (by way of the hardware module) is now denoted as "G-Sync Ultimate" so anything that doesn't have the 'ultimate' nomenclature is merely compatible. Furthermore, G-Sync Ultimate does not support Freesync in any shape or form (I'm 99% sure on that one so someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So when a monitor is listed as supporting both then it's safe to assume it is a Freesync monitor offering G-sync compatibility and not vice versa.

Soldato
Purchased this monitor yesterday evening.

There are some codes doing the round that when stacked, brings the price to £273.

I was in two minds as I'm happy with my AOC 24G2U from a gaming perspective but felt the 1080p resolution was lacking in other areas, especially as I've been working from home more over the last 12 months.

From comments in here, its not the perfect monitor but for £273, I can probably deal with its flaws.

Soldato
Purchased this monitor yesterday evening.

There are some codes doing the round that when stacked, brings the price to £273.

I was in two minds as I'm happy with my AOC 24G2U from a gaming perspective but felt the 1080p resolution was lacking in other areas, especially as I've been working from home more over the last 12 months.

From comments in here, its not the perfect monitor but for £273, I can probably deal with its flaws.
Yeah that deal went super hot over there ;)
It’s a good monitor for sure and at that price it’s a steal. As I have mentioned above for gaming it’s a no-brainier at that sort of money. I felt let down by it for office and colour work as I had no way of properly calibrating it and the colours and black levels were just never right for me.

Also, I already had a 35 Ultrawide and I’d forgotten how small a regular 27 inch looked but I’m in no doubt you will find it an awesome upgrade to your 24 1080p offering.

Soldato
Is it worth moving from a Dell S2719DGF to the S2721DGF?

To add a bit of context, I currently use the S2719DGF alongside another awful Dell monitor. I was planning on buying a second S2719DGF so both monitors match, but then it's neigh on impossible to get a new one now. I'm tempted to just buy two new S2719DGF, as the recent code stacking offer seems like a steal.

Higher refresh rate, IPS not TN and HDR on top of some other changes. Seems worthwhile to me?

Soldato
Also, I already had a 35 Ultrawide and I’d forgotten how small a regular 27 inch looked but I’m in no doubt you will find it an awesome upgrade to your 24 1080p offering.

Have a Vega 56 driving the panel, so will probably have to dial down a couple of settings. I mainly play COD, so hopefully should be ok.

If I want to start playing recent/upcoming games, then I'll probably need to upgrade that, which is a whole world of pain right now.

Soldato
Is it worth moving from a Dell S2719DGF to the S2721DGF?

To add a bit of context, I currently use the S2719DGF alongside another awful Dell monitor. I was planning on buying a second S2719DGF so both monitors match, but then it's neigh on impossible to get a new one now. I'm tempted to just buy two new S2719DGF, as the recent code stacking offer seems like a steal.

Higher refresh rate, IPS not TN and HDR on top of some other changes. Seems worthwhile to me?
That would be certainly upgrade even in gaming capability with overall faster response times.
And in image quality TN has nothing to compete against IPS.
Even if both had same gamut instead of almost sRGB vs wide gamut.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2719dgf
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

MSI G273QF with AU Optronics panel would be even better with panel also producing proper contrast.
But stand is just total cheapo basically without adjustments.
MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £298.99
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g273qf

Associate
Just ordered one of these to replace my old samsung curved 24" 1080p screen.

Need a new monitor at work so should be able to sell my old one to them for £50 which makes total cost for the monitor upgrade to £222 so not too bad.

Anyone got theres mounted on the wall? i fancy trying to get a bit more space on my small desk any mount recomendations specs suggest its vesa 100x100

Associate
I got mine today. Lovely build quality (as is the norm for Dell). I've got a i1display plus which I've just calibrated it for the first time ever on any monitor. Sort of a impulse buy at the time after watching hardware unboxed not approving of the out of the box calibration.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground in this thread but I'm not sure I can get past the oversaturated colours this model brings even after hardware calibration. I knew it was a wide gamut panel to begin with but I didn't really do much research specifically into what that entails annoyingly. I've tried the reference mode in the Nvidia settings which does level out my colour preferences a bit but after using a bog standard 60hz Dell panel for 4 years it's hard for me to adjust to. I'm not sure if that's even good enough grounds to return the item to Dell anyway so I'm probably going to have to stick with it. 1440p on 27' is lovely after using x2 24 1080p's for years so there is that

Soldato
Mine arrived today and love it!

So much more screen estate.

I'm using the Hardware Unboxed settings, so:

Brightness: 63
Contrast: 80
Present Mode: Custom Colour
Gain: R 98, G 95, B99
Response Time: Superfast

All other settings left at default.

Looks fine to me. :)

Back