• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 crashes - anyone getting them?

Soldato
Why would you advise to avoid Ryzen 5000 CPU then say you're going to buy one?

My 5800X has been completely fine in my build since November.
My mouse cutting out issue stopped when I moved my Logitech Unify receiver from the back to the front. Must have been interference with the WiFi.

Caporegime
[QUOTE="Cadder, post: 34937498, member: 237431"
My mouse cutting out issue stopped when I moved my Logitech Unify receiver from the back to the front. Must have been interference with the WiFi.[/QUOTE]
Ditto!

Associate
New build
cpu ryzen 5900x
mobo x570 msi mag tomahawl wifi
ram corsair vengeance pro RGB 3200 2x16gb
ssd WD black 850 1tb
All drivers upto date,
bios upto date.
Intermittent crashes and restarts.
Error log
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10.
does not appear to happen when being stressed by prime.
can happen when just browsing internet
any advice will be appreciated
thanks in advance

Going back in time a couple of weeks on this one. What motherboard firmware are you on? I used to get these errors on my Tomahawk Wifi x570 with 5900x CPU and 3600Mhz (2*16). At first i dropped memory speed on mobi to 3200 (all other settings remained auto). And disabled c states. That stopped the crashing. But, with later mobo bios releases i was able to go back to full auto settings without problems.

Associate
Going back in time a couple of weeks on this one. What motherboard firmware are you on? I used to get these errors on my Tomahawk Wifi x570 with 5900x CPU and 3600Mhz (2*16). At first i dropped memory speed on mobi to 3200 (all other settings remained auto). And disabled c states. That stopped the crashing. But, with later mobo bios releases i was able to go back to full auto settings without problems.
updated bios and has been rock solid since, having problems with VR now but suspect it is graphics card rx580

Associate
Just updated from Ryzen 1700 to 5800 on MSI 470 Motherboard (Spec in Sig), memory set to 3200, all other setting left in Auto. I am also seen random crashing the screen goes black and reboots, no error massage seen or found.

Motherboard bios is the latest.

I will need to reinstall windows as it was setup on a Ryzen 1700, so problem could be a driver issue

I just changed the following in the BIOS as suggested

C-state control: Disabled
Power supply idle: Typical current

My Ryzen 5800 runs fine now but at 3.8 but does not overclock

I decided to try manual O/C all core on at 47 and that is stable. I only set CPU 1.35, VVDSOC 1.1v and Dram 1.36v testing,left memory at 3200 with setting defined by MB. Try out cinebench R23 and AIDA64 no problems seen.

Decided to try Per CCX core and use AMD Ryzen master to overclock now as this is all new to me.

I am use to old school overclocking on my Ryzen 1700 which was done within the bios.

More I read so many different options how to overclock now

Any suggests would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Update:

New CPU installed. Ran fine for about a day, and then the restarts started again randomly when idle, only. Anything intensive (gaming, Prime95, CineBench, etc) it sails along. Anything that doesn't require a lot of juice just kills it. I'm reluctant to try another PSU or Mobo, as I see others have tried with little or no success. The RAM passes MemTest, and I've disabled XMP, tried with 2x8GB, swapped those out with the other 2x8GB, disabled PBO, run everything on stock. Even installed HWINFO to monitor everything (my crashes started way before I installed, so no related).

It definitely seems like there's something "tripping" it, like it reaches a point when it's idle, one or more of the cores doesn't get enough power, and it restarts for some reason. Doesn't make sense, though, because there are multiple cores for it to work with? Honestly, I am at a loss here...

Associate
Update:

New CPU installed. Ran fine for about a day, and then the restarts started again randomly when idle, only. Anything intensive (gaming, Prime95, CineBench, etc) it sails along. Anything that doesn't require a lot of juice just kills it. I'm reluctant to try another PSU or Mobo, as I see others have tried with little or no success. The RAM passes MemTest, and I've disabled XMP, tried with 2x8GB, swapped those out with the other 2x8GB, disabled PBO, run everything on stock. Even installed HWINFO to monitor everything (my crashes started way before I installed, so no related).

It definitely seems like there's something "tripping" it, like it reaches a point when it's idle, one or more of the cores doesn't get enough power, and it restarts for some reason. Doesn't make sense, though, because there are multiple cores for it to work with? Honestly, I am at a loss here...

I would make sure you have the latest BIOS. Unstable system, I would not update in bios or Windows. Many motherboards have a failsafe method for BIOS updates. BIOS update is the last posible opinion to try. By careful unstable system can brick because of failed bios update.

Can be IF/RAM related. Set IF and RAM to the stock supported frequencies for the CPU and test. Not the xmp settings of 3600MT/s thats an overclock, the stock setting for the CPU.
System Memory Specification Up to 3200MHz for the 5600x. Stock IF expected to be 1600 or half the RAM MT/s.

Soldato
Update:

Try adding +5 to cores with curve optimiser.

Associate
I would make sure you have the latest BIOS. Unstable system, I would not update in bios or Windows. Many motherboards have a failsafe method for BIOS updates. BIOS update is the last posible opinion to try. By careful unstable system can brick because of failed bios update.

Can be IF/RAM related. Set IF and RAM to the stock supported frequencies for the CPU and test. Not the xmp settings of 3600MT/s thats an overclock, the stock setting for the CPU.
System Memory Specification Up to 3200MHz for the 5600x. Stock IF expected to be 1600 or half the RAM MT/s.

Interesting point, but whats the possibility of getting 2 CPU's that are only capable of running 3200.. almost everyone's system I've seen (mostly youtube and forum sigs) are running 3600 with no issues (including myself). I think we can rule the CPU for now imo.

Next guess is that it's most likely a power issue with the mobo, what's your Vcore at ? You could try upping your Vcore a little bit (research this but don't let it scare you), test, reset to defaults, lower your CPU clock speeds and test again, see how that alters the behaviour of the chip. From what I understand you could use curve optimiser to do the same but haven't entered that rabbit hole myself.. yet.

It's a total pain in the ass when you don't have compatible components to test with :(

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting point, but whats the possibility of getting 2 CPU's that are only capable of running 3200.. almost everyone's system I've seen (mostly youtube and forum sigs) are running 3600 with no issues (including myself). I think we can rule the CPU for now imo.

Next guess is that it's most likely a power issue with the mobo, what's your Vcore at ? You could try upping your Vcore a little bit (research this but don't let it scare you), test, reset to defaults, lower your CPU clock speeds and test again, see how that alters the behaviour of the chip. From what I understand you could use curve optimiser to do the same but haven't entered that rabbit hole myself.. yet.

It's a total pain in the ass when you don't have compatible components to test with :(

Always validate stock operation before you overclock. Never make assumptions. Let the tests lead you to the problem.

Associate
Update:

some voltage setting may need a tuning in bios.
you can try to disable global c-states in bios if that fixes it first tho

but this usually requires troubleshooting as the issues needs to be identified.

Associate
The random crashing I was seeing with my Ryzen 5800x has stopped now

I have been lower CPU voltages to keep CPU at 70 deg C and increase memory O/C.

So far I am sticking with manual O/C all core on at 4.65Ghz, memory at 3333MHz, Voltages I changed are CPU 1.28v, VVDSOC 1.1v and Dram 1.36v , with all other setting defined by MB left in Auto.

Cinebench R23 and AIDA64 no problems seen, playing games all fine now.

Soldato
The random crashing I was seeing with my Ryzen 5800x has stopped now

I have been lower CPU voltages to keep CPU at 70 deg C and increase memory O/C.

So far I am sticking with manual O/C all core on at 4.65Ghz, memory at 3333MHz, Voltages I changed are CPU 1.28v, VVDSOC 1.1v and Dram 1.36v , with all other setting defined by MB left in Auto.

Cinebench R23 and AIDA64 no problems seen, playing games all fine now.
The chip is likely unstable when hitting the high SC 4.85 frequency so dialling in a 4.65 all core OC prevents it from reaching this and maintains stability.

This is the issue for most the faulty 5000 chips where the chips are fine under heavy loads like cinebench or prime yet crash while on the desktop, browsing the net or watching YouTube etc.

Associate
The chip is likely unstable when hitting the high SC 4.85 frequency so dialling in a 4.65 all core OC prevents it from reaching this and maintains stability.

This is the issue for most the faulty 5000 chips where the chips are fine under heavy loads like cinebench or prime yet crash while on the desktop, browsing the net or watching YouTube etc.

Yes you are correct it was fine with heavy loads, The chip will also run fine at 4.7GHZ on Manual O/C but needs 1.36V but this will take the CPU temp to 80 deg C.

Should I try to get AMD to replace it with a chip that works on auto?

Soldato
Yes you are correct it was fine with heavy loads, The chip will also run fine at 4.7GHZ on Manual O/C but needs 1.36V but this will take the CPU temp to 80 deg C.

Should I try to get AMD to replace it with a chip that works on auto?
If you look at the product page for the 5800X it says a max boost clock of 4.7 yet in reality these boost to 4.85 so maybe AMD have tried to push it a bit far and some of the chips don't like it.

If I had a chip which wasn't stable at stock then I'd definetly RMA.

Back
Top Bottom