UEFA Euro 2020 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [6th - 7th July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
People saying you don't want to cheat to win, maybe find a new sport to watch as football is basically cheating for 90mins, diving is rife (England players are certainly not alone, infact I can't think of a team that doesn't dive), simulation/full on Oscar nominated acting, shirt pulling, stealing 10 yards for throw ins, claiming a corner when you know full well you kick it out for a goal kick.

As an England fan I'm glad we won, I would rather not have divers in the team, but we are not good enough to compete unless we play to the same 'rules' othersplay to, you can guarantee the Italians will be rolling around the floor on Sunday trying to win free kicks and penalties all night
The pundits make me cringe. How many of them say they want to see cheating/diving stamped out (during the PL season), and that the refs should be hard on it.

Then an England player does it to reach a final and they're all OK with it suddenly.

Soldato
The pundits make me cringe. How many of them say they want to see cheating/diving stamped out (during the PL season), and that the refs should be hard on it.

Then an England player does it to reach a final and they're all OK with it suddenly.
The thing that gets me is the term "win" a free kick. I know it's part of the game now, but the idea of intentionally over-acting to get a free keep is a depressing state of affairs.

Man of Honour

They've all said it was soft from what I've seen?

Permabanned

Several of them said it wasnt a penalty and/or soft. Either way, it was foul and a penalty so not fussed with the salt.

Soldato
This is why I’m hesitant to complain about other teams diving… I know if it benefits my team I’m going to celebrate it just as the other teams supporters would. It should be stamped out, but everyone’s at it.

Soldato
Attended the match last night. The atmosphere has still left me speechless. What an absolutely amazing experience. Everybody sang their heart out, and it was great to see people of all ages / ethnicities attending the match and singing as one.

Caporegime
lol sterling was looking for that. soft pen

Soft, sure, but definitely not a pen? Nah. Two of those Danish defenders clearly make contact, the second isn't even making the vaguest of attempts to get the ball. On another day, it might not have been given but there was no way VAR could call that a clear error and overrule. Clear from these images, I think:

I'd like to see players at least try and stay on their feet rather than going down at the first contact, but when refs never penalise clear fouls unless it results in a player going down, you can hardly blame them for making the most of the contact. Sort out the refs, and the players will follow. Until then, as long as they're going down for what is actually a foul - which Sterling did - I'm okay with it.

Caporegime
Denmark didn't do much for the last hour of play, although to be fair it looked like penalties were nailed on because for all of our possession it was mostly sideways and backwards passing at the half way line, creatively we were dire.

It would have felt better to have gone through in the right way even if it was a penalty shootout, all I can say is everyone in England would be bitter as hell today if we'd gone out to that "penalty".

We are going to need to be a lot better in the final third to have any hope of winning the final.

Man of Honour
It would have felt better to have gone through in the right way even if it was a penalty shootout, all I can say is everyone in England would be bitter as hell today if we'd gone out to that "penalty".

The right way? We did.

There are at least 2 points of contact for the penalty, soft though it may be, it's justifiable. Of course I'd be unhappy if it was given against us, but that's the case with most penalty decisions nowadays, it's rare a player is completely taken out, it's usually minor contact that throws people off balance and they go to ground. You have to go to ground or you get nothing.

It was smart play from Sterling and the 2 Danish players effectively tried to sandwich him, a risky move that backfired, they were terrified of him all night.

Caporegime
The right way? We did.

There are at least 2 points of contact for the penalty, soft though it may be, it's justifiable. Of course I'd be unhappy if it was given against us, but that's the case with most penalty decisions nowadays, it's rare a player is completely taken out, it's usually minor contact that throws people off balance and they go to ground. You have to go to ground or you get nothing.

It was smart play from Sterling and the 2 Danish players effectively tried to sandwich him, a risky move that backfired, they were terrified of him all night.

It falls under simulation for me, at the most he felt a brush against his leg and then flopped over. You actually see more contact toward strikers every single corner/free-kick and nothing is ever given.

Man of Honour
This is why I’m hesitant to complain about other teams diving… I know if it benefits my team I’m going to celebrate it just as the other teams supporters would. It should be stamped out, but everyone’s at it.

What I know about football could be written on the back of a postage stamp, and it would still leave room for the Lord’s Prayer, I don’t know a left back from an inside out, and I’m still mourning France’s exit at the hands of Switzerland, but I subscribe to an American online forum and in the early hours following the England/Denmark match there were British posters saying one after the other that as much as they were glad that England were in the final, it was a shame that they had to cheat to get there.
Did they cheat? I don’t know, I reiterate, I know next to nothing about the rules, but with all those Brit fans posting that they thought England had cheated, it seems suspicious at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom