BLACK ICE NEMESIS GTS 360 vs EK CoolStream Classic SE 360

Associate
My current spec:
9900k 5GHz (soon to be direct die)
MSI Ventus 3090 OC
2x EK CoolStream Classic SE 360
EK Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
Bykski N-MS3090VES-TC Dual Active Cooling Backplate Block
Arctic MX 5 (both cpu + gpu, spread this and evenly over die/ihs)
3x QL120 Corsair 120mm
3x LL120 Corsair 120mm

Will I see any improvement swapping my rads for 2x BLACK ICE NEMESIS GTS 360?

I'm mainly looking to run my fans 900rpm ideally for maximum silence.

Current temps from mining over many hours as the results are so consistent. Results below are after a 25 hour block of mining (I leave my machine doing this in the background when I'm not using it).

Had a look around and found a few reviews but nothing too recent. Just trying to gauge whether the swap will be worth it. I've read the EK SE 360 is a pretty poor performer.
https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/hardwarelabs-nemesis-360-gts-radiator-review/4/

5kk.png

Soldato
At that RPM you’re better off with low FPI rads. Have a look at the blackice SR1.

Also might be worth looking at different fans. Noctua 12x25 for example can go at a higher rpm at the same noise level.

Soldato
It's true EK's thin rads aren't the best and probably need a revision.

For example, here is the 360x28mm EK SE

SE-P-1.0-13001.png

And here is the 360x60mm EK XE

XE-W10DT-1.0-1300-P.png
XE-W10DT-1.0-1300-P.png

And so basically, EK's thick radiators appear to be the best on the market while EK's thin SE radiator appears to be the worst

Last edited:
Associate
It's true EK's thin rads aren't the best and probably need a revision.

And so basically, EK's thick radiators appear to be the best on the market while EK's thin SE radiator appears to be the worst

You say all that but (for example) no comparable 360 rad from any of the known good brands will give you any real world night and day difference or any tangible difference for that matter imho and I've been water-cooling a LONG time.

If you want silence you need more surface area, it doesn't matter how 'great' the rad is on paper it's never going to trump going bigger and even if you don't care about silence more surface area is still going to be better.

Soldato
Those cooling charts say @1300rpm but don't appear to say with what fan. So no mention of static pressure or airflow.

You really have to have all the necessary data inputs and even then that's in free air, as opposed to in a case.

I suppose my message is buy what you like the look of or become an inveterate tinkerer who is constantly looking for an efficiency purity. FWIW, I just buy the biggest thickest rads that will fit in whatever case I am using. Oh, and I never buy brand new rads.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have had a look through the suggestions.

SR1's look good but going to be a bit tight for my case, SC2's also unfortunately

Fans I totally agree but I love the look of the LL/QL120's at the moment.

Totally agree with needing more data from the charts, didn't occur to me.

My curiosity has gotten to me though, and given they are only £130 I'm going to give them a shot anyway and report back. I generally leave my machine mining full time in the last week before payout so should have some results in the next ~24 hours if maintain the same test as before.

Associate
OP
You say all that but (for example) no comparable 360 rad from any of the known good brands will give you any real world night and day difference or any tangible difference for that matter imho and I've been water-cooling a LONG time.

If you want silence you need more surface area, it doesn't matter how 'great' the rad is on paper it's never going to trump going bigger and even if you don't care about silence more surface area is still going to be better.

And this, yes if there's no improvement I'll be shoehorning another 360 into my case. I've got a rough plan in mind but I'll see how these new rads play out first.

Back
Top Bottom