***The 2021 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
As you can see I took a bit of a break around april time) - I still trained, just didn't log it as I was following my own thing, doing more full body circuits, conditioning, mobility, and CV work.

K3H7Sq8.png

Below is where I was at when I took my break which you can see ended in april-ish time above.

E4T2FoW.png

Now back on it doing a hybrid 5/3/1 programme with a bit of volume and more diverse/broad support exercises.

Target for this year is 640+ total at under 100kg (currently around 94.5kg), which for a guy in his 40s would be pretty sweet.

Man of Honour
I've been following it through Eddie Hall's vlogs which are quite good. But in this day and age I'm amazed they don't have same day tv coverage of the competition. in the UK you have to wait until December to watch it.... what is the point!!!
Agreed. It's ridiculous... it's because it's not football, therefore no one seems to care about it in this country.

Soldato
I've been following it through Eddie Hall's vlogs which are quite good. But in this day and age I'm amazed they don't have same day tv coverage of the competition. in the UK you have to wait until December to watch it.... what is the point!!!

I always associated it with Christmas, thought it was held that time of year. I feel violated, like when I first learned Jules' hootenanny was pre recorded :cry:

Soldato
Anyone keeping up to date with WSM this year? Just this second finished :cool:

Keep up to date with as much as I can via numerous youtube channels :) Seemed like a good one this year, think it gets aired on CBS in July so should be online around that point or wait until Christmas time.

Would have loved to have been going to the Royal Albert Hall show next month but heading to the World Tour Finals in September (assuming it goes ahead) instead.

Soldato
Got some optimum nutrition gold standard whey, opened and had one serving. Chocolate peanut flavour. Out injured at the moment so not taking it. £20 delivered.

Soldato
Interested for a comparison here, I did some hex bar deadlifts this morning, instead of standard.

Are people generally lifting more/less when using a trap bar to deadlift instead of an olympic bar? Interested to see comparisons.

They seem to vary in weight but it felt like the trap bar was around 20kg, I had 75kg either side, it felt a chunk load easier than deadlifting 170kg with an olympic bar to me.

Soldato
I'm not an expert by any means but I would guess that a trap bar would put more of the emphasis on your legs rather than your trunk/back for the lift which might make it easier depending on how strong your legs are?

Soldato
Hex bar the weight is lined up with your centre of gravity as you're standing in the middle of it (where as barbell deadlift your centre of gravity is behind the weight as it's out in front of you slightly) and the handles make the ROM shorter... unless it's one of those oversized hex bars where the handles are out pretty wide. Since your body will move to the position it feels strongest in you don't tend to pull a hex bar super upright, but you'll be more upright than with a barbell. Like sumo this reduces the demands on your erectors a bit too.

All the above make it easier.

Associate
Interested for a comparison here, I did some hex bar deadlifts this morning, instead of standard.

Are people generally lifting more/less when using a trap bar to deadlift instead of an olympic bar? Interested to see comparisons.

They seem to vary in weight but it felt like the trap bar was around 20kg, I had 75kg either side, it felt a chunk load easier than deadlifting 170kg with an olympic bar to me.

Trap Bar Deadlift people generally lift more. It is just as effective as deadlifts, if not more. Their are some NCBI studies on this on the web if you fancy a read.

Soldato
Training going ok on diet, losing about 1kg a week. Cut a set off every lift (amount of volume required to maintain an adaption = a lot less than the amount of work required to gain the adaptation in the first place), recovering ok. Vague sadomasochistic enjoyment from feeling properly hungry for the first time in ages.

Soldato
Some impressive numbers there @Freefaller I wish my OHP was back around there!

Just started training again after some old injuries have calmed down a little with some morning mobility. Hopefully get back in to some compound lifting as well as the prowler sled for added punishment. I guess it didnt help that I did leg day on 1 to get those doms out the way haha.

Man of Honour
Some impressive numbers there @Freefaller I wish my OHP was back around there!

Just started training again after some old injuries have calmed down a little with some morning mobility. Hopefully get back in to some compound lifting as well as the prowler sled for added punishment. I guess it didnt help that I did leg day on 1 to get those doms out the way haha.

It's my least favourite lift (shoulder impingement from an old injury) but I'm really happy how it's improving - I am focussing a lot more on mobility work for my shoulder which is definitely helping.

I'd love a prowler but I just don't have the set up for it at home - not unless I want to destroy my garden! :D

Soldato
It's my least favourite lift (shoulder impingement from an old injury) but I'm really happy how it's improving - I am focussing a lot more on mobility work for my shoulder which is definitely helping.

I'd love a prowler but I just don't have the set up for it at home - not unless I want to destroy my garden! :D

Yea, can see the improvement!. I remember that I'd never get nowhere near your Squat/DL numbers, but OHP was the only thing I was good at.. Now that's bad too :D

Good thing about the prowler is that no one touches it at my gym, they just look at you like some weirdo when pushing it around hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom