Nuts and threads

Associate
So I’m going to make a table, a decorative one I can keep a plant on and am going to make it with a concrete top.
To fix the legs I plan on using closed rivet nuts (took a bit of Googling to find out the name) set in to the concrete.
The nuts will be threaded and M8 size. My question is if I buy ready made wooden legs with a threaded bar set in the top how can I check the threads will be compatible? (Like these, they have an M8 dowel: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/600...=tapered+wooden+legs&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1
Is it the case that provided the bar on the legs is M8 they will have the same thread size as the nuts?
Example nuts: https://www.part-on.co.uk/product/m8-steel-countersunk-head-rivet-nut-100pk/

Soldato
Should do if both the same. M8 is M8. If your setting something in concrete you might have to get clever about how you keep the threads clean while it's setting. Those nuts look like what we call clinch nuts. With them being smooth all the way round they might not be ideal. You might be better off with normal encapsulated nuts, sometimes called acorn nuts. They have a hex on them so shouldn't twist when tightening. As another thought, they might just pull out anyway so you might be better off doing something crazy like sinking a flat washer above the nut to stop it pulling through so you end up with nut and washer set into concrete.

Associate
Unless otherwise specified, an M8 nut/bolt should be a standard M8 coarse pitch nut/bolt. Fine pitch alternatives are usually specified and apply to specific applications e.g. spark plugs. M8 nuts/bolts are readily available from most DIY stores & online for very little cost, so if it comes to it you could try fitting a mating bolt to said nuts to ensure it's not some obscure thread pitch.

Soldato
if not stated otherwise assume it's M8 standard/coarse/1.25mm pitch...could screw a bolt in to the rivnut when it's setting to stop concrete getting on the threads I suppose

Soldato
At the end of the day when building stuff like this... Have all the parts in front of you before finalising plans. Especially if setting stuff in concrete/cement.

That said, M8 is M8 TBH.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input chaps. At least I don’t need to worry about a mismatched thread.
In terms of dome nut vs rivnut, I wasn’t set on using the latter I think ideally I’d want a slightly longer thread which in my head will offer a better fix and more stability. I’m not likely to put anything massively heavy on it.
I’m not concerned what the normal application of the nut is, one could argue concrete isn’t a normal material for tables although admittedly not that unusual.

For the nut not gripping in the concrete, it may be that I remove it before the concrete sets properly and fix it with epoxy adhesive but unsure how successful that would be.
The hex nut idea is a good one to ensure better grip when tightening the legs.

Associate
OP
That’s what started me down the road of a rivnut. A closed rivnut stops the concrete getting in. I realise I didn’t say that initially (the nut being closed).

Associate
OP
Ideally want to keep it under 30mm really. If the bolts are 30mm the thickness of the table top will need to be more than that. I was aiming for 20-25mm top thickness.

Soldato
How about doing it the opposite way and having the bolt set into the table top, and have the nut on the legs.

You don't have to worry too much about concrete creeping onto the thread. It'll be easier to clean off the bolt too.

It also means you could go for oversize bolts for extra strength without needing to increase the thickness of the table.

Associate
So I’m going to make a table, a decorative one I can keep a plant on and am going to make it with a concrete top.
To fix the legs I plan on using closed rivet nuts (took a bit of Googling to find out the name) set in to the concrete.
The nuts will be threaded and M8 size. My question is if I buy ready made wooden legs with a threaded bar set in the top how can I check the threads will be compatible? (Like these, they have an M8 dowel: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/600...=tapered+wooden+legs&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1
Is it the case that provided the bar on the legs is M8 they will have the same thread size as the nuts?
Example nuts: https://www.part-on.co.uk/product/m8-steel-countersunk-head-rivet-nut-100pk/
A ruler or caliper to
measure the diameter M8 is 8mm and thread gauge for the thread pitch. Or even better take the nut you are using With you.

Permabanned
Trying to inset an M8 dowel in to concrete is going to be a real pain. I think you would do better making a plywood top that the legs are bolted to and then gluing or forming your concrete top to the plywood. The reason I say that is that plywood has a uniform thickness so it's really easy to just drill a hole in it and bolt the legs on and get them perfectly at right angles. Concrete, well, I am not even sure how you would approach the problem...

Associate
OP
My intention was to the create the form work and pour postcrete and position some rib nuts in place and let it set.
I hear what you’re saying about a wood table but I’ve made one of those already:

5cxwqsf.jpg

Soldato
if you want to bolt into concrete you have a couple of choices.

Cheap, but inflexible (and likely to go wrong), Stick a couple of large square washers on the end, with double-locking nuts, and cast into the concrete, hope you get it in the right place, and at the right angle, and that it doesn't get knocked until the concrete has set, or when you vibrate the concrete to compact it.

Next is to use a holding-down bolt. Same as above, but less heath robinson as the bolt is pre-made.

Next is to use a holding-down bolt with adjustment cone collar. Same as above, but it has a cone that allows for small adjustment after the concrete has set. You then grout the void once the fitting is in place so you know it's in the right position and orientation

Next is to use a coupler socket. So you cast in a socket with the female end (covered by a plastic cap) and pour the concrete. Then you come along with your thing to mount, pop the cap off and screw it up. You can attach the sockets to some rebar or similar rigid frame that gets cast into the concrete to keep them in position during the pour. Downside, couplers can be a bit large, but not too bad for M8. They can also be expensive if you're not buying in bulk. NB to leave enough concrete cover around them too so they don't crack thin concrete and grin out at you

Last, but not least, don't cast anything in. Post-fix by drilling and using resin-anchored fixings, like Hilti or Fosroc or similar anchors. For low forces (eg furniture) the embedment required can be quite low, even 50-60mm into concrete. You could also consider expanding anchors or concrete nails for non-structural uses too. All of which are likely to be easier than casting-in to any precision.

Scratch all that I've misunderstood I think - you want to cast the legs into the top?

Add square plate washers onto the rods and captive nuts either side (pairs of nuts locked together by counter rotating to set the washer position)

embed those into the concrete and reinforce the areas with some orthogonal mesh.

pour concrete upside down so to speak, you'll get your best finish on the mould faces, so ply and wax coat (or even wax paper) line the mould and cast it on the ground with the legs held upside down and held in position by a jig. Vibrate the mould or use a poker to get a good compaction, but don't overwork or you'll get too much separation. Tamp and float skim the top, which will be the underside once you turn the thing the right way up after the concrete has set.

Like most things preparation is key. Really seal the formwork moulds to prevent grout loss and check and double check you have an even coating of any surface agents/liners. Some mottling will be inevitable, but it often fades with time.

what are the overall dimensions you're looking at, and what do you want it to carry?

Also I wouldn't use postcrete for furniture etc. Post crete sets fast but can weaken with age (depending on the constituents in the mix). For garden furniture you may not care, but cheaper more regular ready mix may give a better workability and finish, just with a slightly longer setting time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom